Prime Suspect

The Last Witness, Part 1

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 09, 2003 on ITV

• A pulse pounding scene makes this entire series.

Sometimes it is enough for a show to have "that one special scene" that propels it into a whole new category. I won't talk about the obvious, i.e. the war. I am a Croat, my friends are Croats and Serbs and Bosnians and I hope what this episode touches on never happens again, but that's not why this is so special. When Tennison realises Jasmina is about to be hunted in the hospital, we are tortured with a few minutes of shear terror. My pulse was racing, my head was punding and I just about screamed: *FOUR fraking police ALONG with the PA system AND all hospital personnel cannot find her before the killer?!?!?* The explanation later was that he had help. Well how exactly do you help someone to find a "ghost" in a thousand-strong hospital before four persons and a regiment of technology? Don't get me wrong; realistic or not, that scene simply killed me, drained me and exasperated me and to this date it is one of the greatest scenes in TV history. If you have the penchant for a good police thriller, this is about as good as it gets.