Primeval: New World

Space (ended 2013)

neomichel

Primeval: New World Fan Reviews (32)

• Poorly written: A stain on the original series

I am and was a huge Primeval fan. But, Primeval:New World was complete garbage. They called both Terror birds and Gorgonopsid "dinosaurs" as well as giant snakes, etc. Ok... that makes the writers not just plain stupid... but unable to google their facts. Terror birds didn't come around until after the mass extinction event of the dinosaurs. Gorgonopsids are Therapsida and much more closely related to mammals than dinos. The nice thing about the original was that the writing actually looked up many of the facts. And, when people called things dinos that weren't... the person was corrected. That was cool... These guys just called everything "Dinos". This... well... Bad, uneducated writing.

Next, that some "hobbyist" would be able to take a small team like this and go out and do what they did... be all military about it, and ... also a bit on the far fetched and just poorly written side. The whole thing just felt somewhat hacky and low budget. The ARC concept was done so much better... And, this show would have felt better if they had at least followed some semblance of that concept.

Last, the original primeval had ARC addressing anomalies all over. This one somehow assumes that all anomalies seem to only occur in the Vancouver region, and very repeatedly. Which is a bit far fetched, had no good explanation placed behind it, and again... lent to the complete low budget feel, and showed very poor writing.

I completely understand why this show was canned after one season. And, for the sake of the original, I wish it had never gotten the season it had. Because, now there may never be an actual "good" reboot of what I feel was a great show plagued with actor and writer turnovers that slowly killed it as a concept. Now, I don't blame the actors of this new series. They did a pretty good job considering the load of crap they were handed. But, the writers, producers, and directors... well... they should be banned from even attempting another SciFi drama again... because... obviously, they don't cut it.

Anyway... my 2 cents.
  • The first and last episodes were probably the best.

Based on the first episode and the original series, the show had quite a bit of potential -however it was then systematically and ruthlessly clubbed to death.

Between the flirting, love triangles, anti military, anti 'real' science, anti government, absurd characterizations and a pretty extreme pro animal rights view that kind of boarders on anti human, not to mention: the second coming of Jesus aka Evan Cross. . .the alpha male/ Jock/ super genius /rich boy /sensitive /brilliant engineer /brilliant scientist that has people effectively worshiping him -the show didn't stand a chance.

I mean seriously -do writers get so self involved that don't realize how terrible the stuff that they are flinging actually is?

Also man; Evan must really want to to get his freak on with Dylan -he used a freaking dinosaur to kill his wife so he could still have a shot.
  • Is it true that this show have been renewed for 2nd season?

Is it true that this show have been renewed for 2nd season?
  • Disappointing ...

I've watched all the episodes (well, the ones available on iTunes anyway), and the only things that work for me are based on the original premise of the original show: anomalies, dinosaurs, potential time paradoxes, problems for human beings to fix.

The new show should be subtitled: Need-a-clue white kids who don't know what they're doing. Evan Cross acts like an ass, and the team members do things like rank amateurs that result in their deaths or the deaths of their comrades who don't know what the hell is going on. Evan should be sued by families of the dead for criminal negligence. (How the hell are they explaining these gruesome deaths away?) I personally like the actor who plays Evan, but Cross, for someone so brilliant, does dumb things. He can't hold a candle to the original Primeval's Cutter. And Primeval suffered from killing off Cutter. The only competent ones are Dylan and Mac. This show seems to be geared for a younger, dare I say, "hipper" audience?

Maybe the writers are setting up things for future changes/more appealing plot lines, character-wise and events; if so they're doing too good of a job. But I gather the show has not been renewed. I would, however, vote for a second season. Many shows have weak starts but given time have greatly improved. Perhaps this one can as well.
  • Fix the Dates for Primeval:NewWorld And Original Primeval has not been cancelled

i have some Insights about Primeval and Primeval:New World

Primeval: New World was picked up By Syfy and Syfy is currently Showing Season 1 and it's also listed as new series

Original Primeval Is Listed as Returning series

Primeval season 6 is coming in the End of 2013 or in the beginning of 2014
  • Just bring back Original.....

Sick and tired of yanks barstardizing Primeval with there arrogance and know all attitude....

This New version of the show was just destined to fail, and to be honest im glad it has.

In this case UK version was far superior and i do believe if they do anything else with the show ,its to stop the B/S revamps and Just Bring Back the Original......

Please????
  • Slow Burner - but with a great batch of final episodes!

My first thoughts on coming to Primeval: New World were not good. As a fan of the original UK version (whose fate has yet to be confirmed for definite), I wanted another series set in London with the original characters as opposed to rebooting it with a new cast for the Canadian audience. Two of the main reasons I decided to watch it was for the appearance of Andrew Lee-Potts (from the UK version) as Connor Temple and many of the production team on this series were behind the Stargate television franchise with 17 seasons of sci-fi under their belt what could go wrong?

My main problem with the series at the beginning was watching a new team discovering the anomalies and working out everything. This may be ok for Canadian viewers but having watched 5 seasons of the UK original, I couldn't help feel like we were treading old ground. The first episode was ok, Temple's appearance was nice (although too brief for my liking), but I felt like it was going through the motions. It finally got good towards the end with a nice little cliff hanger that wanted me to come back for more the first episode had clearly done its job!

As the episodes progressed, I started to enjoy them more than some of the later episodes from the UK version the characters seemed to work well, some of the set ups were new (an airplane stuck in the past!) and the graphics weren't bad either. I still wanted more of the UK version but was hopeful that this 13 episode season would deliver.

It was with the final six episodes that the series really hit its stride as the threads from that very first episode start to come together affecting one of the team in particular and Lieutenant Leeds' commanding officer Colonel Hall providing a nice villain for the team (Stargate Universe' Lou Ferreira popping up with the worst moustache ever!). In this final batch of episodes we have an episode that is devoid of a creature incursion (except in flashbacks) making a fresh change and proving that the Primeval brand doesn't need to rely on the 'creature of the week' scenario to be entertaining and interesting.

The final episode sets up what could have been a great second season and is probably the best episode overall (although in places it is a bit predictable). The return of Connor Temple bookends the season and hints at what could have been with future reappearances.

The main cast all put in excellent performances; Niall Matter is a good lead for the series (reminiscent of Stargate Atlantis' Joe Flanigan), Sara Canning and Miranda Frigon make convincing potential love interests and hold their own against the creature incursions. Geoff Gustafson's Lieutenant Leeds' reminded me of Ethan Phillips (from Star Trek Voyager) but added another layer to the goofiness so you never really knew what was his plans for the anomalies were. Crystal Lowe and Danny Rahim complete the cast; initially for me they didn't add much to the show, but in the final episode circumstances bring them together and both actors pull it out of the bag opening another storyline that could have developed nicely in a second season.

Sadly the series was axed in Canada due to low ratings as with most first seasons, the series took a little time to get going but in this television climate, thirteen episodes is too long to hit your stride. Definitely worth a watch, and a ultimately a nice continuation of the franchise, let's hope the Primeval universe returns in some form or another soon!
  • There's still hope!!

The Canadian channel space has not picked it up but the rumor has it that they are in talks with other networks, my guess would be either BBC Worldwide who's channel Watch it was broadcast on in the UK or maybe even SyFy Channel keep everything crossed.
  • Are you crazy?

why most of the tv shows got canceled when it becomes more thrilling and more intense to watched. just like Ringer, The Secret Circle, Continuum, V 2009. I'm not either sure if Falling Skies will be coming back after Terra Nova's cancellation. we love these shows and then it cut off on air. i don't care about the ratings. please bring them let's not judge them right knows, more episodes and seasons are much more better than previous ones. We support all Foreign shows here in the Philippines..
  • Arrghh

5.5
    Damn it.. Its been canceled :( Damn you cancellation bear !!!!
  • Not Surpised at cancellation in all honesty.

5.5
    Now that it has apparently been cancelled, we can all be honest when we say that the spin-off to the popular british show just didn't find the right balance between light-hearted amateurishness and serious storytelling.

Whereas the British version showed that the only experts in its science were essentially amateurs with the backing of an entire government division behind them, the US version did away with that and put the experts and the government on opposite sides, in my opinion why it was always destined for cancellation.

for all the brilliance niall matter brought to the character evan cross, his naivety was his undoing in a show that struggled to move forward from its straightforward beginning. the showrunners could easily have salvaged it with a simple connection between project magnets revival and connor temple's involvement. unfortunately, andrew lee-potts' character was reduced to cameo's in the first and final episode.

As most revivals diverge from their source material, this was one show which could have benefitted from staying close and true to their UK counterparts with only a little effort to bring in the original cast in supporting / guest roles.

it is a shame to see such a brilliant original show mired by it's hack of a little brother. Farewell finally Primeval New World (esp. Connor, abby and everyone from the UK version), you are unfortunately all too forgettable.
  • Cancelled

I have just read that Primeval: New World has been cancelled as at 21.2.13
  • Cheesy story, bad acting

1.5
    Its cheesy and boring. For all the "technology" and dinosaurs etc etc, the show seems to focus solely on the characters and their completely unrealistic personalities. This show is yet another example of horrible cgi, barely acceptable acting, and complete lack of a credible story.
  • Your Call...

Agree if you think this is the best show and wouldn't know what to do with your life without it. Disagree if you want to see many MORE seasons....
  • It could have started better

After watching the first 11 eps, I've gotta say I'm a little disappointed. It's as if they have forgotten about the last episode of series 5 of the original show, where anomalies opened up all over the world at the same time, really the Canadian government would have knowledge of the anomalies and the tech developed to track, lock and date them.

Maybe ep 13 will help develop it more when Connor Temple returns.
  • Good Stuff.

A Fine edition. I hope it continues on for more years and is allowed to develop as the original show did over it's course.

Good Characters.

But they could you a little more Primeval wonder in the past though.

Maybe in a second season.
  • bring back original cast

Sorry but think it is pretty awful since the new series started won't bother watching any more! I usually love US things but really feel they have screwed this one up maybe i have missed something!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Welcome return!

Ok guys being a huge Primeval fan I know how awesome the old British series was. But Primeval New World is a stand alone show that needs to be praised for its outstanding CGI and cast. It should not be mixed with the original one. It's a lot more gorier than it was back then. I am extremely grateful that this show recruits old stars from the original. Who knows maybe in the future we might see more stars recurring. What I want to say is this show is really AMAZING if you would stop comparing it to the original. I want to see more anomalies and I want to see this show go a very long way. If you're a real Primeval fan you would be grateful that this show has made a comeback. Now it's Evan and his teams' go at the big stage. It can only get better here on...
  • Getting Good

I am totally liking the actor's in this version, plus i guess if your a Eureka fan then this is the best show to jump on!!! Jacks a smarty pants now lmao awesome...

Still like the original UK primeval to but it got a lil to wound up, still glad to see the show continue on!!
  • So Far Not So Good But I'll Give It A Chance

Two things I want to clear up before I start.

First: This is not an American show, it's Canadian. Yes Canada is in North America as is Mexico, but it is not the United States. Kind of the way Scotland is considered part of Great Britain but they are not English.

Second: I watched all the BBC's Primeval episodes and I didn't think it was good. The BBC version did have some good parts but a lot of it was just convoluted.

What I do like about the show is it's basic plot. An ultra wealthy guy who is haunted by his wife's death, tries to understand anomalies that nobody knows exist. I like Niall Matter in this role as Evan Cross. I also like Sara Canning as the resident animal expert. (Something the original BBC show didn't Miranda Frigon as the savvy corporate executive is good too.

But the rest of the cast and the writing is terrible. The bodyguard looks like he'd tip over in a stiff breeze and the young woman as his second is miscast. Their banter in the 3rd episode was awful.

What's worse is what I found to be most maddening about the BBC original. People are being killed by dinosaurs and the characters are taking more precautions to protect the man eating monsters than the welfare of people. They run around with tranquilizer guns when they should have .50 cal rifles and grenade launchers. Don't be afraid to kill a giant beast if it about to attack a school or a bus station.

If you really want it to be an American show it would have to look more like Stargate SG1. Groups comprising of military personnel who are not afraid to bring down a t-Rex and scientists comprising of physicists and dinosaur experts.

By the way, SG1 was filmed in Canada but was an American show.
  • Mr zzbeach, your rant about America being in America is amusing as the BBC are not ITV

Primeval was an ITV show here in the UK, not BBC, amusing considdering you start your rant about North America and Canada!

You continue your rant right the way through, constantly referring to the ITV as the BBC, which they most certainly are not, so stop blaming the BBC for any misgivings of the UK show and please get these facts right.

I personally enjoyed the show and am sad that it has departed. The new show, follows on nicely I believe and is building up well, with a team slowly forming etc.
  • I dont get it

I think the story has a lot of potential but like in the uk version they wasting it again. At least the uk version was a little bit plausible and thrilling but this spinn off simply sucks. I really dont get it, these guys running around and chasing dinosaurs, at least I would have brought a dinosaurs expert or something on the team but no... and then there is the thing with people dying but hey we can handle this... why need an army when you have a bunch of ideots with absolutly no plan. And what is it in the first place that they do with the anomaly, because it doesnt look like resarch to me... so why keep it a secret and let more people die??? like I said I really dont get it.
  • Good show

A good show, but they really need a military group for locking down the anomaly, they keep running off to various areas chasing what has come through and other critters could be coming through while they're gone.

Also, the intro music is seriously bad, it's muffled and uninteresting.
  • Doing OK so far...

but it really does not match the UK-Version. If it were edibal, i'd say it does taste okay, but lacks the salt and some spices. It is nice to see the series going on, at least somewhat.

Stories so far have been weaker than in the original, I am missing the sub-plots and at least some humor. And so far the main stories do repeat themselfs. Just a few tiny hints from time to time that there might be something else going on is not sufficent. At least not in my opinion.
  • Niall Matter makes each episode Easy on the Eyes

There is no denying that this show is not as good as the original UK version but... I'm sure if it had a budget and PR to match the UK original, it could be. Regardless of any comparison, the gorgeous Niall Matter will keep me tuning in until the series comes to an end. Hopefully Primeval will open doors for him and women kind may drool and swoon whilst watching a show with better scripting, actors and special effects at some point in the near future.
  • Rather Disapointing So Far (5 Episodes in)

4.5
    Before it went to air the producers promised that this new take on the UK series 'Primeval' would be "darker and scarier"; it's not and I'm yet to see "plots and character development move between the two series"

The original Primeval had already laid the groundwork for this to build off, but so far Primeval New World is just a watered down version of that show with rather uninteresting, weak characters running around with no expertise or authority but behaving like they have both the expertise and authority to do so.

Instead of the premise being taken in a whole new and exciting direction, all we have so far is a poor mans copy of the original. I hope they lift their game in future episodes or this show will go the way of the dinosaur.
  • What are we Missing

5.5
    Why? hasn't Evan found out who Connor Temple is.

Gee they could cut thru the tech prob they have at the moment.

Gee they gave us a link to the UK mob and are not bother to find out more.

I've watch all 4 episodes and the only thing at the moment keeping me with the show Niall Matter.
  • Where?

How did I not know there was a 'spin off'!? I occasionally look for updates of the original BBC series and happened to find this through imdb.com.

I'll give it a try though i'll miss Connor. but I love Amanda Tapping:) and 'Zane' from Eureka! :)
  • Very Impressive!

I like the cast and the way they setup new LAB. Its about time, lets see what happens in this first season. way to go!
  • Not impressed at all

Please tell me this poor excuse for a show is not someone's idea for a replacement for the original BBC show! Must be the same idiot who thought to make an American version of "Being Human". TV.com's rating system doesn't go below 1 otherwise I would have given this a -10. Bring back the BBC series...
< 1 2