Princess Tutu

(ended 2003)

DJSagittarius

Princess Tutu Fan Reviews (18)

• Magically transformed a small duck, despite self doubt, changes her world through hope, love, and courage.

Truth be told, I did find it a little bit corny, but I still really enjoyed it.

I think that a good deal of the corniness I saw may have been due to the English translation. If I ever get a chance to watch it again with subtitles instead of dubs then maybe I'll see.

I really loved little Duck, she was so cute and sweet, then they introduced Uzura and I about died from sweetness overload. I also got to say I really loved Fakir. He pretty much rocked.

I actually really wish there was a sequel. I want to know what happens to poor little Duck. Does she ever become a girl again?
  • A great romantic anime that involves wonderful ballet and is a ballet itself!

This is a really great show to me. Mostly, because I am a ballerina myself. When I first watched it I thought it was so awesome, because I've been looking for an anime with some ballet in it at least. I think Princess Tutu and Princess Kraehe are excellent characters too. I love their outfits. Princess Kraehe would have to be my fave character though. I thought at the beginning it would be cutesy and too fluffy, but there are dramatic moments and some violence, but I loved it! Princess Tutu is trying to collect the pieces of Prince Mytho's heart. While Kraehe is trying to prevent that through most of the story. Fakir is another character who is the knight and protector of the prince. The story is actually told as a fairytale with "Once upon a time..." I love all the ballet moves in it, I know them all and can do most of them. The whole anime is a ballet itself with it's structure of the story. The only complaint I have that doesn't make this show a perfect 10 for me, is that I do not like the ending!!! I won't say anything about it, but it doesn't end the way I wanted or expected it too!! lol oh well. Besides that, it is a great anime for magical anime otakus out there and a great anime beginner show!!!
  • Once upon a time, there was a man who died.

This is how we’re introduced to Princess Tutu. We’re told of a man that wrote stories, and who was in the middle of writing, “The Prince and the Raven,” when he died. Without an ending, the battle between the two waged on until they escaped from the story and the prince sealed away both the raven and his own heart. All the while, the man who was said to have died looked upon the scene with glee.

That man is Drosselmeyer, a spinner of tales, writer of stories, and manipulator of all. One day a young duck dreams of dancing with a prince. Drosselmeyer, watching from a mysterious place filled with gears, sees her and bestows upon her a pendant. That pendant allows the duck to become a girl, as well as a prima ballerina superheroine by the name of Princess Tutu. From that, the story truly begins.

Princess Tutu is one of those rare shows that is just superb in almost every way. You can really see the care the creators put into it and all the different layers it has. It is at times both light and comical, and dark and tragic. Princess Tutu is a story about stories, with characters who are themselves characters in a story. Late in the series, even Drosselmeyer ponders for a moment whether or not he is himself a character in someone’s story. Unlike a lot of shows out there, these characters are multi-dimensional and change drastically throughout, as does the audience’s perception of them.

You have Duck, the heroine of our story, whose goal is to return the broken shards of our prince, Mytho’s heart back to him. We are also introduced to Fakir and Rue, who add pivotal roles to our story, but to tell you what they are would spoil half the fun.

If anyone out there is hesitating to see this because of the ballet aspect, do yourself a favor and just watch it anyway. The show contains references to ballet, but in all honesty, it’s so much more than that. You don’t have to be a fan of ballet to appreciate all of the effort the show puts into its ballet references. All of the song choices are carefully selected and include pieces many will be familiar with (such as Nutcracker and Swan Lake) and also some that are more obscure to the average viewer. Because of this, the soundtrack to the show is absolutely amazing. Princess Tutu has a score that contains some of the best-composed music in the history of music.

It really makes me sad to see how this show seems ignored by many, when it deserves so much more than that. This is one of the funniest, most heart-wrenching, dramatic, intense, well-produced television series of all time and deserves to be seen, loved, and seen again and again.

All you children who love stories, come gather round.
  • Reall great show, still, it's not my kind of show, i'm more into Inuyasha, Bleach & Naruto, and that kind of stuff^^

It was an awesome show, i really loved it, like i said it's not my kind of show, but it's great, I would love it if the show would come back ^^ Really, even if your not the kond of girl/guy would like to watch this, i can tell you for sure, that you will like it! But maybe i only like it, because i'm a girl xD Well, have to stop my review, i have to go tomy grandma, ^^ Bye Bye, have fun watching the show!! Now i have to fill inat least 100 words xD Like is said, have fun watching! Kathy
  • This show was one of the greatest animes i have ever watched!!!!

When i saw the title of this anime on Anime on Demand on Time Warner cable, i though it was some girly girl show. But then i saw this AMV on youtube with the song once upon a december and i was struck. i had to see it. i really love this show. i actully love everything about it! it has good music like Auquarium carnival of animals and has a good story outlay. The dancing is cute and it inspired me to get into ballet, which is hard, by the way. My faveorite characters were Fakir and Ahiru!!!! They also made the cutest little couple. The episodes were very divine and showed a lot of character. I only hope that this show will come back with a season. im ging to buy Volume 4 and Volume 6 of the DVD this saturday so i can watch it as much as i like!!!!
  • With the help of a magical pendent, the duck Ahiru can turn into the girl Ahiru, who can turn into Princess Tutu. It is Princess Tutu\'s job to return the emotions of a prince who scarified his heart to seal away a evil monster raven in a storybook.

Princess Tutu is a hidden and magnificent jewel of an anime for those who stumble across it. With Ahiru\'s hilarious antics, beautiful classical music, charming scenery, and a plot to keep viewers coming back for more, it\'s a wonder that it doesn\'t get the respect it deserves. One minute tour in stitches over Ahiru\'s antics and duck-like behavior, the next your nearly crying in pity for Mytho and his lost heart, then onto an action scene that proves that you don\'t need blood and gore to have a suspenseful action scene. I recommend this to anyone looking for a novel anime that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
  • A wonderfully original mahou shojo anime.

Princess Tutu is pretty much a story within a story. Mytho, a prince from a fairy tale, lost his heart while fighting a raven. The author, Drosselmeyer, unfortunately died before he finished writing the story, but even death won't stop him from continuing it, as his story becomes the reality. To help him complete his work is Ahiru, a duck who only wants to see the prince smile. Drosselmeyer turns Ahiru into a girl, and thus begins her quest to restore Mytho's heart. Of course, the story gets more complicated and in-depth as it progresses, with unrequited love and other characters who want Mytho to remain emotionless.

Overall, Princess Tutu is a great show. The animation is smooth and brilliant, and the characters develop with every episode. While some mahou shojo (magical girl) anime have long transformations, this isn't the case with Princess Tutu, who has a pleasantly short transformation. It's also filled with beautiful music from ballets such as The Nutcracker. Don't dismiss Princess Tutu just because the name sounds girly, either, because you'll really be missing out on a good anime if you do.
  • A decent show,but is getting too much gay,i mean come on,love and passion,nobody don't give a doggone about romance,if you're black and married,princess tutu is the best show ever,genius,funny and sometimes sexy,especially,when princess tutu turn in duck.

Princess tutu is the best show about,but too much romance and passion and crying,definetly the crying great show love it but cut the drama and get too straight up scrapin the ravens ass,whoop that negro,i might not watch the rest of the show but it is very good a very decent show,especially when princess tutu or duck,turns into a duck and change back to be a girl but without chotles now they was funny but mildly interesting,i think they should bring it back just for one last season is a great show just lose some of the passion and drama and get to the ass whoopin
  • Princess Tutu is about a duck named Ahiru who can turn into a girl and Princess Tutu. With humor, romance, action, and a ballet theme. It is a great magical girl anime!!!

This is a really great show to me. Mostly, because I am a ballerina myself. When I first watched it I thought it was so awesome, because I've been looking for an anime with some ballet in it at least. I think Princess Tutu and Princess Kraehe are excellent characters too. I love their outfits. I sort of thought at the beginning it would be sorta cutesy and fluffy, but there are dramatic moments and some violence, but I loved it! Princess Tutu is trying to collect the pieces of Prince Mytho's heart. While Kraehe is trying to prevent that through most of the story. Fakir is another character who is the knight and protector of the prince. The story is actually told as a fairytale with "Once upon a time..." I love all the ballet moves in it, I know them all and can do most of them. It is a great anime for magical anime otakus out there and a great anime beginner show!!!
  • this show is very exciting every moment has some kind of comedy or action i really love Duck she absolutely brillant and not to mention the teacher has his onw adventure throughout the whole show as well that pretty much sums it up

this show is mind blowing this is very a action packed show and exciting i really love this show Duck and Fachir are down right funny the show has a brillant plot and a very good picture the graphics are well drawn things about this show makes you want to see more and more. the teachers had some issues of his own but he gets around it pretty good Muto is also a very good dancer and not to mention a good villan this show should be recoginzed for what it really is Princess Tutu is vey wise and polite i wish this show could never end.
  • So cool! It's magical ballerinas!

I personally love this show because I take ballet. And after seeing this, I was all shocked up to even see a ballet anime! Yay! Well anyway...
    This is a really good series. It's kinda of a combination of Swan Lake, and I think a little Nutcracker. It's really cute, and I always can't wait to see more. I whatch it on On Demand, but even though, it's still a great show to whatch!
    It has a funny name...Tutu, but in Japanese it sounds like Chu Chu. Hahaha.
    The voice acting is good and the art is good too, so I like that.
    Pros: Cute, Some-what original, and entertaining.
    Cons: What's with the random animals?
    Overall good! But seriously, what's with those talking animals?
  • PRINCESS TUTU!! YUCK!!!

What the? I thought jap anime's supposed to be pretty. It's like a copy of Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura put together. Its about a girl named Duck (who named her duck) that falls in love with a guy in ballet. So what. It should go on trash. Yep trash. And do you know the anime is bad. Maybe the creators cannot make a good show and it goes down the drain unlike Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist which are good shows. Well that's my opinion, and my opinion says. Take it off the air.
  • It\'s such a charming fairytale! It\'s a mixture of so many things in anime, but it\'s totally unique! If you\'re a fan of Mahou Shojo stories, then you\'ll love this!

Once upon a time there was a handsom prince, and also a crafty raven. In order to seal away the evil raven the prince uses his heart. But... all of the sudden, the story comes to a halt, because the one writing this tale has died... or has he? In an effort to finish the story, the characters leave the fairytale, and enter the real world, basically creating a \"new\" real world, where fantasy and reality intermingle. In the process, the prince\'s heart is shattered, and the only one who can save him is... Princess Tutu... but in reality, she\'s a duck!

Slowly, Ahiru (Duck) realizes that her Senior schoolmate, Myutho, is the prince from the story, and that Ahiru herself is Princess Tutu. The only problem is that the princess is fated never to be with her prince, or so the fairytale says. \"The moment you confess your love, you will turn into a speck of light and vanish!\"

Regardless, Ahiru still desires to save Myutho\'s heart. But there are those that wish to stop her. Myutho\'s controlling friend, Fakir, tells Ahiru that \"He has no need of a heart.\" But still she continues, seeing as Fakir has no clue that Ahiru is really Princess Tutu. (Actually, he thinks that Myutho\'s present girlfriend, Ru, is princess, but we later find that he\'s way off...)

Ahiru also has two friends, Pike and Lily (Ririe), who constantly smother her with hugs, and questions... especially about whether or not she has a crush on Myutho (and dare I say it, Fakir??). She\'s almost always in a pinch with her teacher, Neko (Mr. Cat), who threatens if she does not do well in her lessons, he\'ll have her marry him!

The story is all layed out in an elegant ballet setting, with beautiful music, and a huge range of emotion. One moment it\'s so comedic, and the next you\'ll be brimming with tears! If you\'re a fan of magical girls, ballet, or even classic stories like \"Sleeping Beauty\", or \"The Nutcracker\", then you\'ll definitely enjoy this.
  • this is one of my favourite shows in animax.anime fans have to watch this.

what I like about this show is its characters princess tutu who is very wise (a bit selfish over the prince) and the dance its really entertaining for budding ballerinas this is one of my favourite shows. its not that girly but is more like reading a really old novel.
  • A very beautiful anime show...

At first I though this show must be a whole bunch girly stuff.. But one day I was eventually bored and nothing on tv was on so I decided to watch it.. That was when I finally loced watching the show..

All the dances in the show goes together with the background music. The characters were drawn great!

If you think there is no action in the show.. there is!

You gotta watch it.. It's a must see.
  • It's a wonderful show, with so many twists and unexpected events.

"A show about ballet called 'Princess Tutu'?"

That's what I first thought when I heard this show. My older sister kept saying, "You gotta watch it! It's so cute!" But, like many other biased kids out there, I rejected it because of the title. When I finally got around to watching it because I was bored, I was instantly hooked after the first few episodes. I fell in love with the in-depth characters and animation, and the plot twists that made you think the characters over again once you've thought you finally understood them.

I'm sure you'll enjoy this show!
  • It's girly, it's corny, it's cliche. But I like it.

My first impression was one of those corny shows with love and justice and tons of mahou shoujo chiches, mixed in with dumb and cutesy stuff like ballet and frilly dresses. And it is, but I like it anyway.

I have to admit, at first I was going to give this show a 5.5, and an "Unintentionally Funny," because of that time when that guy said "I'm scared of Princess Tutu!" But then I thought about it, and I realized that I do love this show.

I recomend this for people who unconditionally love all anime, or all mahou shoujo. Or people who think that even Yucie isn't cute enough for them. If you like dark plots, un-cuteness, and total originality... there are a lot of shows like that, but this isn't it.
  • One of the best and beatiful animes I've every seen. Warning this reveiw contains spoilers.

First impression of this show is a girlie/corny show thats all about ballet. This seems to scare people away, but don't run away just yet your going to miss the good part. Its not all about ballet, or else the show would suck and gets darker as the story goes along. Anthor good thing about this show is there is no clear cut idea of good and evil. Exaple, well we all know Priness Tutu is the heroein but when Drosselmeyer first apperes to Rue/Princess Kraehe he asks if she is the heroin or Duck. He's saying she could be the hero instead of Princess Tutu. If you think about it gets complexed after that. If your use to shows with with lots of violants and action this isn't the show for you, but anyone who is looking for a good shojo or just a good love story this it the show for you.

I almost forgot the animation is very pretty.