Prison Break Forums

FOX (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: "Rate of Exchange/Killing Your Number"

bolshoi_booze

[21]May 15, 2009
    • level: 2
    I was sad by the ending too, but seriously, it was an incredible ending to an incredible show. Michael was the hero and those who deserved it, got what was coming for them.

Did anyone seriously believe that the General would do anything but prolong the illness long enough to work in his favor? His whole plan all along was to kill him and everyone connected to him.

Michael changed the world; I can't think of any better of an ending for him if he was doomed to die.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjoceasde

[22]May 15, 2009
    • level: 18

The reason why he died in 2005 is because the series did take place within the same year. Think back to the previous seasons: Michael only had about a month to break Linc out of prison in the first season, and he only had a couple of weeks to get Whistler out of prison in the third season.

There's just one plot hole that I don't quite understand. Lincoln said that Michael's condition was the same thing that their mother had and died of. But if she wasn't dead, she shouldn't have had that condition. And if she didn't have that condition, Michael shouldn't have had it either. I guess it's possible that the Company fixed her, but I wish that they had explained it better.

WispyNips

[23]May 15, 2009
    • level: 9
    nateman2323 wrote:
    yea i seen the 2005 too, i was what the...

I'm glad they put this in it makes so much more sense than it took place over several years. I mean think about it every season happened right after the next and when you add it all up it was about a year. Personally I think that makes what they have been through all the more exciting, one hell of a year.

KingofIPirates

[24]May 15, 2009
    • level: 32
    Endgame65 wrote:
    nateman2323 wrote:
    The fixing of illness, must have worn off, don't know what happened there. Good ending for everyone but Michael. The line Lincoln said to T Bag was funny, about the gum
    What exactly did he say? I must not have caught it.
    I don't think they explained it, just showed him having a nose bleed while they were on the Beach. Either way even though they were obvious plot devices and much of it felt contrived, it was a decent end for this series.

I'm only a casual fan of the series and I'd like to know one question.
    What was the deal with Bagwell turning his pockets out and having someone hold onto them?

bolshoi_booze

[25]May 15, 2009
    :

What was the deal with Bagwell turning his pockets out and having someone hold onto them?

Basically shows he's running things in Fox River.

bolshoi_booze

[26]May 15, 2009
    tjoceasde wrote:

The reason why he died in 2005 is because the series did take place within the same year. Think back to the previous seasons: Michael only had about a month to break Linc out of prison in the first season, and he only had a couple of weeks to get Whistler out of prison in the third season.

There's just one plot hole that I don't quite understand. Lincoln said that Michael's condition was the same thing that their mother had and died of. But if she wasn't dead, she shouldn't have had that condition. And if she didn't have that condition, Michael shouldn't have had it either. I guess it's possible that the Company fixed her, but I wish that they had explained it better.

The Company actually treated Christina's tumor because she was working for them. The General knew that Michael would turn on them, so he only prolonged it.

ILUVSCOFIELD

[27]May 15, 2009
    I'm going to go on and give this finale a 10/10. In the first hour my favorite scenes were between Sara and T-Bag. I also enjoyed the return of C-Note, Sucre, and Kellerman. The finale a whole was good. I'm glad Christina and the General got what was coming to them. I didn't read the spoilers, but I knew Michael was going to die, it still really sucked though. I didn't cry, but the ending was still sad. I'm just glad they didn't show him die on screen, because I probably would've cried (I'm guessing the tumor did him in).How ridiculously cute was the little boy playing MiSa's son? Also, how random and a bit wierd was it that Lange and Mahone apparently ended up together. Anyway, I was happy with the finale, but I'm curious to find out what the stand alone two eppy dvd will be about, and will Michael be in it? I probably won't rush out and buy it; hopefully it will be available to rent somewhere. Also, since I know how it all ends, I'm wondering if I should even buy the remaining seasons of the show. I probably might someday for nostalgia's sake, but it will be sad to watch considering the outcome. All I know is that I now have no reason to watch FOX anymore unless they air another show as original and awesome as Prison Break, which I doubt. Well, so long Prison Break, it's been real.

tvdvdaddict

[28]May 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    So sad. Tears rolled down my cheek when they showed Michael's tombstone. I'm also angry that after all that, they let him die. I won't be able to sleep tonight. I've seen the cover box on the stand alone DVD release and Michael is on it. Is he really dead then? Why would his picture be on it if he's not in it. Makes me wonder....It's gonna be so weird not having PB to watch in the fall. I hope to see Wentworth in something soon.

WispyNips

[29]May 15, 2009
    KingofIPirates wrote:

It's a tribute to the first season where T-bag would do that to people he would take advantage of in Fox River.

Kuruption84

[31]May 15, 2009
    • level: 4
    I can't see a better way for this incredible show to end. Closure. All I ask for. The ending was sad, yet appropriate.

gregorysam

[32]May 15, 2009
    Well I'm probably going to write a review on this episode but there is just so much to say, so much to analysis and so much to think about. Personally as someone who has really loved this show I did love this episode. Sure it probably doesn't deserve a technical 10 but it still does in the practical sense. There were obviously a few things they had to include. Obviously Christiana was suppose to be dead because if she wasn't Mahone would of just killed her and her assistant (which I believe was killed later), but why make Michael be willing to kill her?? Why did they make him pull the trigger when it just doesn't fill his role? Yes Sarah killed her and that definitely I'm doesn't surprise her but Michael pulling the trigger I don't really believe. I'm really glad about the t-bag ending, I was waiting and hoping they would show t-bag in prison with the pocket thing, but I still don't get the point of throwing in the book part. Who cares about t-bags felling then. About Mahone I don't know why they didn't show his x-wife, Pam. He did everything to save her but no reunion with her? Sure I liked the character he ended up with, but why her over Pam? He saved Pam but this agent was someone who helped him out and was much more of a shoulder to cry on and bail you out of jail type person not who you end up with. Or did the fact that he lost his son make it unbearable to live with Pam? Personally I would have preferred Pam just because of the story line. Oh and my big question which does really agitate me is how did Pam survive, at least after they tried blowing up Christiana? If he made a deal with Christina then wouldn't she kill Pam after Mahone tried killing her since she survived? Or also why didn't the General kill her it was obvious that they abandoned him when the Generals man had to go find Michael and Lincoln at the hospital??? Also why would the general bring them to his layer and not just abandon that layer when it was a risky location? It was obvious that he wanted to kill them? And the biggest flow about the layer is what in the World are the odds that when Sucre and C-note found the layers location that they found Michael and the others there? So we are suppose to believe its good that they got captured? If they didn't how would Sucre and C-Note save them? A definite technicality that the show completely forgot and I just laughed at was Lincoln. How is he fine when he never got any medical treatment? Nobody helped him, so how is he still alive? They should of showed him getting help, its just unacceptable letting the viewer believe he's ok when Michael is bringing Scylla to the UN agent. Also it's interesting how the general thought this was all a game but when push came to shove he did everything to save his daughter, let alone himself by letting Sophia go. By the way was Scylla with LJ all this time? I didn't quite understand where Sophia was at when the generals' men captured her? Also we never do find out what the UN agent does with Scylla. Was it actually something remarkable? In fact do we really completely learn what Scylla is? We understand what Christina wanted to do with it but what exactly is it or is the general overview of energy independence good enough for the average viewer? Of course I think that killing of Michael was a mistake and my jaw literally dropped when I saw the grave? I kept asking myself who is it going to be? At first I thought it was Christina since it was 4 years later, but then I thought that everybody else wouldn't be there blowing kisses for her. My second guess was Veronica. After all she was the one who began this whole process. She was the one who tried to stop kellerman. Then I thought maybe it was kellerman since he did the final job. At no point did I guess it was Michael. Why would it be Michael, when I swear I heard Sarah say "we will bring this to your father at the shop"? Maybe I miss heard something but I'm pretty sure she said father. I don't know if it was a good move although I am upset about killing him of. I didn't notice the date on the grave since it was a quick gravestone scene and I was just in disbelief. I did read the other stuff on there. Now that I think about it I don't know if the writers just wanted a shocking ending. Perhaps they wanted to just make it jaw drooping. I'm a big 24 fan but even i didn't care about the finale preview when seeing the Prison break finale. On a final curiosity who was Mahone writing Happy Birthday to?
    Since I didn't much care for Self I didn't really care how he ended up? I think he should be some what happy that ht survived, but I'm a bit surprised that this ending was given to him. After all he did help with finding Scylla (and of course other bad stuff).

Although this is a review, it's also a bunch of questions and answers, that I hope other forum posters could help and answer or give there input on.
    As mentioned before I still give it a 10 for what it did do as a finale. It achieved so much good stuff like a superb ending where they showed how everybody ended (I'm excluding the Michael part). It was good to know and very cheerful. Of course the controversial ending is tricky. I guess it just comes done to your belief about TV and movie endings. Do you want an ending that is surprising but possible, but perhaps not the most uplifting? Or do you want a happy ending that gives you a smile in the end? Of course the 2nd one is the more optimistic one, but the first one is more realistic and perhaps more thought provoking. It's hard to say if Michael would of died because of his medical problems. After all a full four years passed. Anything could of happened in four years. Maybe he became very poor in health management or depressed by becoming an alcoholic or a drug user. It's probably best to not assume what happened within these four years because anything is possible and we probably want to believe that Michael made the best use of his time and attempt to live a long and healthy life. So about the ending I conclude that it depends on what you want ending to be like. Personally I still go back to my jaw dropping (that never happens to me). Is that good for an ending? Well that's for any individual to decide for themselves, but I conclude that on a grand scale the episode (or episodes since there where two of them back to back) did it's job. It was very thought provoking and action jam packed. I liked it and I will definitely remember this series for a while. Since this is a forum post (that will later be a review) a also ask, did the ratings drop tremendously in this season? Is that why fox moved it to Friday, or did fox just want to end it like Lost wanted to end this year (not ratings related)? I really don't know the answer to this question, so I ask anybody to inform me

If anybody wants to take a stab at my post and answer any of these questions I would be very grateful. Since this is a forum I really really want to see individual opinions on those questions and on this episode. Fuhhh! that was a long post. Now its time to read. Anybody want to take a stab at it and answer some of my questions, or comment and give there input on what I thought could have been improved and give there input on what they thought about those moments?

robdude123

[33]May 15, 2009
    • level: 19

I know he probably is exonerated but no way Kellerman would be allowed to be a Senator. I'm sad Michael died =( They could have let him live.

In stories like Death Note and Code Geass (both anime) the main character dies in the end, but they are anti-heroes so I was okay with it, Michael was an old fasioned hero.

Edited on 05/15/2009 8:24pm

swapnil926

[34]May 15, 2009
    • level: 1
    Im a huge fan of the show and enjoyed the finale, but the last minute almost made me throw the remote at the tv. Whats the point in killing off Michael in such a hasty way. He spent a year dodging bullets and in the last minute of the show the writers telly by the way Michael is dead. After all that work Michael does not see any fruits of his labor including his son (Since his gravestone said Nov 2005). I am going to mentally erase the last minute of the show.

tvismyescape22

[35]May 15, 2009
    • level: 13
    So sad.. to see it end! I am glad there was closure, though. I'm gonna miss Prison Break!

UncleMatt

[36]May 15, 2009
    • level: 5
    I was crying my eyes out at the end. My heart was about to shut down after seeing the tombstone. It's very depressing. After 4 seasons/years of loving the character, everything he has done, everything that has been done to him, and as soon as he gets a moment of peace, he gets a nose bleed. Very depressing.

eddiex

[37]May 15, 2009
    • level: 1

That is so frickin messed up that Micheal after going through all this he didn't live long enough to see his son born into the better world.

The grave stone said November 2005 the same year all this happened, so Michael was only free for a few months not even close to seeing his son born.

I would of taken Michael's death a little better if the grave stone said 2008 or 2009 to show he lived a little before death.

I'd rather have a sappy ending with Michael alive and they all meeting for a reunion picnic or something.

I just feel that the writers just couldn't give us a totally happy ending even though there were many many unhappy endings for good folks who died along the way.

Another thing I would of liked was some mention of how the UN used Scylla to help the world.

Maybe have the news running in the background reporting how the technology fed the hungry or cure AIDS or something to make what they did feel worth it.

Ok I that's my rant.

gregorysam

[38]May 15, 2009
    yep "Another thing I would of liked was some mention of how the UN used Scylla to help the world.

Maybe have the news running in the background reporting how the technology fed the hungry or cure AIDS or something to make what they did feel worth it." I totally agree with that

Abruzzi_44

[39]May 15, 2009
    • level: 6
    gregorysam wrote:
    Well I'm probably going to write a review on this episode but there is just so much to say, so much to analysis and so much to think about. Personally as someone who has really loved this show I did love this episode. Sure it probably doesn't deserve a technical 10 but it still does in the practical sense. There were obviously a few things they had to include. Obviously Christiana was suppose to be dead because if she wasn't Mahone would of just killed her and her assistant (which I believe was killed later), but why make Michael be willing to kill her?? Why did they make him pull the trigger when it just doesn't fill his role? Yes Sarah killed her and that definitely I'm doesn't surprise her but Michael pulling the trigger I don't really believe. I'm really glad about the t-bag ending, I was waiting and hoping they would show t-bag in prison with the pocket thing, but I still don't get the point of throwing in the book part. Who cares about t-bags felling then. About Mahone I don't know why they didn't show his x-wife, Pam. He did everything to save her but no reunion with her? Sure I liked the character he ended up with, but why her over Pam? He saved Pam but this agent was someone who helped him out and was much more of a shoulder to cry on and bail you out of jail type person not who you end up with. Or did the fact that he lost his son make it unbearable to live with Pam? Personally I would have preferred Pam just because of the story line. Oh and my big question which does really agitate me is how did Pam survive, at least after they tried blowing up Christiana? If he made a deal with Christina then wouldn't she kill Pam after Mahone tried killing her since she survived? Or also why didn't the General kill her it was obvious that they abandoned him when the Generals man had to go find Michael and Lincoln at the hospital??? Also why would the general bring them to his layer and not just abandon that layer when it was a risky location? It was obvious that he wanted to kill them? And the biggest flow about the layer is what in the World are the odds that when Sucre and C-note found the layers location that they found Michael and the others there? So we are suppose to believe its good that they got captured? If they didn't how would Sucre and C-Note save them? A definite technicality that the show completely forgot and I just laughed at was Lincoln. How is he fine when he never got any medical treatment? Nobody helped him, so how is he still alive? They should of showed him getting help, its just unacceptable letting the viewer believe he's ok when Michael is bringing Scylla to the UN agent. Also it's interesting how the general thought this was all a game but when push came to shove he did everything to save his daughter, let alone himself by letting Sophia go. By the way was Scylla with LJ all this time? I didn't quite understand where Sophia was at when the generals' men captured her? Also we never do find out what the UN agent does with Scylla. Was it actually something remarkable? In fact do we really completely learn what Scylla is? We understand what Christina wanted to do with it but what exactly is it or is the general overview of energy independence good enough for the average viewer? Of course I think that killing of Michael was a mistake and my jaw literally dropped when I saw the grave? I kept asking myself who is it going to be? At first I thought it was Christina since it was 4 years later, but then I thought that everybody else wouldn't be there blowing kisses for her. My second guess was Veronica. After all she was the one who began this whole process. She was the one who tried to stop kellerman. Then I thought maybe it was kellerman since he did the final job. At no point did I guess it was Michael. Why would it be Michael, when I swear I heard Sarah say "we will bring this to your father at the shop"? Maybe I miss heard something but I'm pretty sure she said father. I don't know if it was a good move although I am upset about killing him of. I didn't notice the date on the grave since it was a quick gravestone scene and I was just in disbelief. I did read the other stuff on there. Now that I think about it I don't know if the writers just wanted a shocking ending. Perhaps they wanted to just make it jaw drooping. I'm a big 24 fan but even i didn't care about the finale preview when seeing the Prison break finale. On a final curiosity who was Mahone writing Happy Birthday to?
    Since I didn't much care for Self I didn't really care how he ended up? I think he should be some what happy that ht survived, but I'm a bit surprised that this ending was given to him. After all he did help with finding Scylla (and of course other bad stuff).

Although this is a review, it's also a bunch of questions and answers, that I hope other forum posters could help and answer or give there input on.
    As mentioned before I still give it a 10 for what it did do as a finale. It achieved so much good stuff like a superb ending where they showed how everybody ended (I'm excluding the Michael part). It was good to know and very cheerful. Of course the controversial ending is tricky. I guess it just comes done to your belief about TV and movie endings. Do you want an ending that is surprising but possible, but perhaps not the most uplifting? Or do you want a happy ending that gives you a smile in the end? Of course the 2nd one is the more optimistic one, but the first one is more realistic and perhaps more thought provoking. It's hard to say if Michael would of died because of his medical problems. After all a full four years passed. Anything could of happened in four years. Maybe he became very poor in health management or depressed by becoming an alcoholic or a drug user. It's probably best to not assume what happened within these four years because anything is possible and we probably want to believe that Michael made the best use of his time and attempt to live a long and healthy life. So about the ending I conclude that it depends on what you want ending to be like. Personally I still go back to my jaw dropping (that never happens to me). Is that good for an ending? Well that's for any individual to decide for themselves, but I conclude that on a grand scale the episode (or episodes since there where two of them back to back) did it's job. It was very thought provoking and action jam packed. I liked it and I will definitely remember this series for a while. Since this is a forum post (that will later be a review) a also ask, did the ratings drop tremendously in this season? Is that why fox moved it to Friday, or did fox just want to end it like Lost wanted to end this year (not ratings related)? I really don't know the answer to this question, so I ask anybody to inform me

If anybody wants to take a stab at my post and answer any of these questions I would be very grateful. Since this is a forum I really really want to see individual opinions on those questions and on this episode. Fuhhh! that was a long post. Now its time to read. Anybody want to take a stab at it and answer some of my questions, or comment and give there input on what I thought could have been improved and give there input on what they thought about those moments?

Good lord! If you're going to run a diatribe at least learn how to properly punctuate and paragraph. I didn't get past the first few sentences.

anchysss

[40]May 15, 2009
    so stupid... the writers made a huge mistake... Micheal didn't need to die, and shouldn't... it's so disappointed... i cried my eyes out after all he's been through this is so stupid, not as sad as much is stupid... and what about Mahone and agent Lang?! i taught he loved his wife, he was suposed to end up with her... the part with Daniel Hale-s wife was excellent, but would be nice to see what happened to ex president Carolyne Reynolds. after kellerman's testimony at the end of 2nd season she was churched with allot of felonies, i'm just saying it would be nice to learn how that thing solved...