TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Prison Break Forums

FOX (ended 2009)

Official Discussion Thread: "Rate of Exchange/Killing Your Number"

blueoceanvn

[41]May 15, 2009
    • level: 1

gregorysam wrote:
    Although this is a review, it's also a bunch of questions and answers, that I hope other forum posters could help and answer or give there input on. As mentioned before I still give it a 10 for what it did do as a finale. It achieved so much good stuff like a superb ending where they showed how everybody ended (I'm excluding the Michael part). It was good to know and very cheerful. Of course the controversial ending is tricky. I guess it just comes done to your belief about TV and movie endings. Do you want an ending that is surprising but possible, but perhaps not the most uplifting? Or do you want a happy ending that gives you a smile in the end? Of course the 2nd one is the more optimistic one, but the first one is more realistic and perhaps more thought provoking. It's hard to say if Michael would of died because of his medical problems. After all a full four years passed. Anything could of happened in four years. Maybe he became very poor in health management or depressed by becoming an alcoholic or a drug user. It's probably best to not assume what happened within these four years because anything is possible and we probably want to believe that Michael made the best use of his time and attempt to live a long and healthy life. So about the ending I conclude that it depends on what you want ending to be like. Personally I still go back to my jaw dropping (that never happens to me). Is that good for an ending? Well that's for any individual to decide for themselves, but I conclude that on a grand scale the episode (or episodes since there where two of them back to back) did it's job. It was very thought provoking and action jam packed. I liked it and I will definitely remember this series for a while. Since this is a forum post (that will later be a review) a also ask, did the ratings drop tremendously in this season? Is that why fox moved it to Friday, or did fox just want to end it like Lost wanted to end this year (not ratings related)? I really don't know the answer to this question, so I ask anybody to inform me If anybody wants to take a stab at my post and answer any of these questions I would be very grateful. Since this is a forum I really really want to see individual opinions on those questions and on this episode. Fuhhh! that was a long post. Now its time to read. Anybody want to take a stab at it and answer some of my questions, or comment and give there input on what I thought could have been improved and give there input on what they thought about those moments?

Sophia was with LJ all the time in Panama. Later in the show, Paul did tell Lincohn that Sophia and LJ are safe at the police station in Panama.

The birthday card is for Pam his ex-wife. When he closed the envelope, it was addressed to Pam. It makes sense that Mahone stays away from his ex-wife for their sake. Remember they'd got divorced long before Mahone got into Fox River case. They didn't kill Pam because Mahone is not the key, Michael and his brother are. Self's wife was killed as an example. Actually, among Sophia, Pam, and probably LJ too, either of them can be popped up in front of camera as leverage like Sophia was. They chose Sophia because she did play a part in last season and it was a way to make her last appearance as guest star.

Sara never said the word "shop". Her actual sentence was "Come on! let's go see your daddy"

The book thing with T-Bag in prison is because of its title "GATE, Greatness achieved through excellence. Take it to the next level". It's about "captivity" and... I could not quite hear the second word, but I'm sure it reminds T-Bag of Michael and that makes him mad.

Edited on 05/15/2009 10:15pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gameraim

[42]May 15, 2009
    • level: 11
    did christina died since she was never shown in the four years later

tjoceasde

[42]May 15, 2009
    • level: 18

blueoceanvn wrote:
    gregorysam wrote:
    Well I'm probably going to write a review on this episode but there is just so much to say, so much to analysis and so much to think about. Personally as someone who has really loved this show I did love this episode. Sure it probably doesn't deserve a technical 10 but it still does in the practical sense. There were obviously a few things they had to include. Obviously Christiana was suppose to be dead because if she wasn't Mahone would of just killed her and her assistant (which I believe was killed later), but why make Michael be willing to kill her?? Why did they make him pull the trigger when it just doesn't fill his role? Yes Sarah killed her and that definitely I'm doesn't surprise her but Michael pulling the trigger I don't really believe. I'm really glad about the t-bag ending, I was waiting and hoping they would show t-bag in prison with the pocket thing, but I still don't get the point of throwing in the book part. Who cares about t-bags felling then. About Mahone I don't know why they didn't show his x-wife, Pam. He did everything to save her but no reunion with her? Sure I liked the character he ended up with, but why her over Pam? He saved Pam but this agent was someone who helped him out and was much more of a shoulder to cry on and bail you out of jail type person not who you end up with. Or did the fact that he lost his son make it unbearable to live with Pam? Personally I would have preferred Pam just because of the story line. Oh and my big question which does really agitate me is how did Pam survive, at least after they tried blowing up Christiana? If he made a deal with Christina then wouldn't she kill Pam after Mahone tried killing her since she survived? Or also why didn't the General kill her it was obvious that they abandoned him when the Generals man had to go find Michael and Lincoln at the hospital??? Also why would the general bring them to his layer and not just abandon that layer when it was a risky location? It was obvious that he wanted to kill them? And the biggest flow about the layer is what in the World are the odds that when Sucre and C-note found the layers location that they found Michael and the others there? So we are suppose to believe its good that they got captured? If they didn't how would Sucre and C-Note save them? A definite technicality that the show completely forgot and I just laughed at was Lincoln. How is he fine when he never got any medical treatment? Nobody helped him, so how is he still alive? They should of showed him getting help, its just unacceptable letting the viewer believe he's ok when Michael is bringing Scylla to the UN agent. Also it's interesting how the general thought this was all a game but when push came to shove he did everything to save his daughter, let alone himself by letting Sophia go. By the way was Scylla with LJ all this time? I didn't quite understand where Sophia was at when the generals' men captured her? Also we never do find out what the UN agent does with Scylla. Was it actually something remarkable? In fact do we really completely learn what Scylla is? We understand what Christina wanted to do with it but what exactly is it or is the general overview of energy independence good enough for the average viewer? Of course I think that killing of Michael was a mistake and my jaw literally dropped when I saw the grave? I kept asking myself who is it going to be? At first I thought it was Christina since it was 4 years later, but then I thought that everybody else wouldn't be there blowing kisses for her. My second guess was Veronica. After all she was the one who began this whole process. She was the one who tried to stop kellerman. Then I thought maybe it was kellerman since he did the final job. At no point did I guess it was Michael. Why would it be Michael, when I swear I heard Sarah say "we will bring this to your father at the shop"? Maybe I miss heard something but I'm pretty sure she said father. I don't know if it was a good move although I am upset about killing him of. I didn't notice the date on the grave since it was a quick gravestone scene and I was just in disbelief. I did read the other stuff on there. Now that I think about it I don't know if the writers just wanted a shocking ending. Perhaps they wanted to just make it jaw drooping. I'm a big 24 fan but even i didn't care about the finale preview when seeing the Prison break finale. On a final curiosity who was Mahone writing Happy Birthday to? Since I didn't much care for Self I didn't really care how he ended up? I think he should be some what happy that ht survived, but I'm a bit surprised that this ending was given to him. After all he did help with finding Scylla (and of course other bad stuff). Although this is a review, it's also a bunch of questions and answers, that I hope other forum posters could help and answer or give there input on. As mentioned before I still give it a 10 for what it did do as a finale. It achieved so much good stuff like a superb ending where they showed how everybody ended (I'm excluding the Michael part). It was good to know and very cheerful. Of course the controversial ending is tricky. I guess it just comes done to your belief about TV and movie endings. Do you want an ending that is surprising but possible, but perhaps not the most uplifting? Or do you want a happy ending that gives you a smile in the end? Of course the 2nd one is the more optimistic one, but the first one is more realistic and perhaps more thought provoking. It's hard to say if Michael would of died because of his medical problems. After all a full four years passed. Anything could of happened in four years. Maybe he became very poor in health management or depressed by becoming an alcoholic or a drug user. It's probably best to not assume what happened within these four years because anything is possible and we probably want to believe that Michael made the best use of his time and attempt to live a long and healthy life. So about the ending I conclude that it depends on what you want ending to be like. Personally I still go back to my jaw dropping (that never happens to me). Is that good for an ending? Well that's for any individual to decide for themselves, but I conclude that on a grand scale the episode (or episodes since there where two of them back to back) did it's job. It was very thought provoking and action jam packed. I liked it and I will definitely remember this series for a while. Since this is a forum post (that will later be a review) a also ask, did the ratings drop tremendously in this season? Is that why fox moved it to Friday, or did fox just want to end it like Lost wanted to end this year (not ratings related)? I really don't know the answer to this question, so I ask anybody to inform me If anybody wants to take a stab at my post and answer any of these questions I would be very grateful. Since this is a forum I really really want to see individual opinions on those questions and on this episode. Fuhhh! that was a long post. Now its time to read. Anybody want to take a stab at it and answer some of my questions, or comment and give there input on what I thought could have been improved and give there input on what they thought about those moments?
    Sophia was with LJ all the time in Panama. Later in the show, Paul did tell Lincohn that Sophia and LJ are safe at the police station in Panama. The birthday card is for Pam his ex-wife. When he closed the envelope, it was addressed to Pam. It makes sense that Mahone stays away from his ex-wife for their sake. Remember they'd got divorced long before Mahone got into Fox River case. They didn't kill Pam because Mahone is not the key, Michael and his brother are. Self's wife was killed as an example. Actually, among Sophia, Pam, and probably LJ too, either of them can be popped up in front of camera as leverage like Sophia was. They chose Sophia because she did play a part in last season and it was a way to make her last appearance as guest star. Sara never said the word "shop". Her actual sentence was "Come on! let's go see your daddy" The book thing with T-Bag in prison is because of its title "GATE, Greatness achieved through excellence. Take it to the next level". It's about "captivity" and... I could not quite hear the second word, but I'm sure it reminds T-Bag of Michael and that makes him mad.

The line was "captivity of negativity." And T-Bag was mad because he coined that term while "working" at GATE.

blueoceanvn

[44]May 15, 2009
    Now on to my approach...

Does anyone think that there's a possibility that Michael's death is not real?

Would he have planned this to escape from the past? Because you know, he's the key to everything (which is also why he has to die for the series to be really over). The successor of The Company might want to get hold of him to do their work (yes, a theory). So they went to Panama, fake his death, live a life off the grid.

Usually when people go visit a dead person, they stay a while near the tomb, revise memories,... In the scene, they put flowers (his son), an origami (his brother) on the tomb stone and went past it to a blurry bright scene.

I understand this is a very small chance of truth but it's a possibility.

furiousfunk

[45]May 15, 2009
    • level: 13
    I was glad they showed the 4 years later scene because I was hoping for a future scene but I was not happy with the death of Michael. I don't care how happy all the characters were in that scene or how they all skipped off to some party afterwords. Michael should have lived to make the happy ending complete. I wanted to see the General and T-Bag die but the Don Self character redeemed himself and shouldn't have been condemned to existing as a invalid. I loved his note to the agents who were withholding his medical care "Kiss My A**"(that scene will make a perfect GIF avatar). I don't understand that one guy becoming a politician, wasn't he publicly put on trial and sentenced to death? Overall the finale was great up to where they killed off Michael, it was a cheap ending to a great series. People want the man that suffered the most while doing the right thing to live.

JBentham

[46]May 15, 2009
    • level: 15
    I wasn't really blown away by the conclusion to the scylla plot. Kellerman showing up was a total deus ex machina.

But still, it was cool.

However what made the finale worthy was the last 10 minutes. Brilliant conclusion. Emotional and all that.

D-DawgMan1

[47]May 16, 2009
    • level: 49

Overall, I was very pleased with the ending. I think it ended very well and put everything to a close. I was glad to see C-Note back on the show and I was shocked when Kellerman showed up. As for the other characters:

I could see Michael's death coming when I saw the nosebleed as well as Michael wasn't with Sara. I think after that experience, the two would never separate again. But I think they were buying flowers so I figured they're buying them for the grave.

I'm glad Lincoln got together with Sofia in the end. Too bad they couldn't get Marshall Allman to reprise his role as LJ. But at least we know he's safe.

Sucre and C-Note both got their families back and I think that's really great.

General Krantz got what he deserved and that's for sure! He definitely deserved the ending he got. The way he was shaking in the electric chair kind of scared me. I really saw the look of fear on his face that I never saw before. I was afraid Lincoln was going to end up in the chair after all, and the show would come around full circle. But thank God that was not the case.

Self got what he deserved. He's just a vegetable now. He was "SELF-less" in the first place anyways.

I think Mahone stayed away from Pam to protect her. I'm glad he and Lang hooked up. I always thought they had great chemistry!

T-Bag I was a little disappointed with. Part of me wishes that he would have died. OR HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE ELECTRIC CHAIR! I mean, calm on. 6 children dead, a C.O., several murders while he was on the run. WHY DOES HE ONLY GET TO SPEND THE REST OF HIS LIFE IN JAIL? He's even more cruel than Krantz. Okay, maybe not. But at least he is in a place where he can't hurt anybody else.

Okay, PLEASE TELL ME I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE THAT WAS PISSED ABOUT KELLERMAN. When I saw Allison Hale come up to him, I figured she was going to shoot him and I wish she would have. It's not fair that Kellerman got away. He still did bad things and I think he should've had to pay for them. I mean, thank you for exonerating our friends, but hey, he should have been shot. I think that would've been a great twist to this Prison Break: Cherry Hill idea. Have her as one of the people.

meee223

[48]May 16, 2009
    • level: 8
    Can someone remind me who Allison Hale is? Was she the wife of Kellerman's partner who he killed?

kent6650

[49]May 16, 2009
    • level: 3
    Aaaaaand... that's a wrap!

It was a good ending. Since I've seen Scrubs ending too where they put in all the casts together on their last episode as their finale, same thing happens here, they revived most of the characters which I think is kinda good since it's wrap up time for the finale of Prison Break. It's really good to see all the previous casts.

It's a bit chaotic these last too episodes but it's good that it's not confusing and you could just easily follow it.

I wonder what's the next awesome tv show to watch since most top tv shows have ended.

bolshoi_booze

[50]May 16, 2009
    • level: 2
    gameraim wrote:
    did christina died since she was never shown in the four years later

Christina was shot in the back by Sara. Medics were shown placing a sheet over the body. She's gone.

tomakazi

[51]May 16, 2009
    Not one of those present at the grave site exhibited a broken heart. They seemed very happy. Sarah clearly appeared to be 'skipping' down the beach to catch up with the rest of the 'crew'. Who could be that happy at the grave site of a loved one only 4 years after their death ? This leaves open the possibility that they visit the grave site merely to perpetuate the belief that Michael died when in fact he may still be alive. The DVD release in July will reveal exactly what occurred during the 4 years not shown in this episode. In addition, don't be shocked if it reveals that Michael had to fake his own death in order to save them all. If this turns out to be the case then the writers have set us up brilliantly.

mpb_knr

[52]May 16, 2009

if you look at the gave it had the death in nov 2005 .... 4 yrs later is 2009 michael been dead for 4 yrs

sbrizz

[53]May 16, 2009
    • level: 6
    I agree. That was HORRIBLE ending. Michael dies!!!! I feel cheated. They should have ended it with him and Sarah getting married, or L.J. graduating, or Lincoln getting married, something better. After all the crap Michael went through, he doesn't even get to live long enough to enjoy the life he won for them all! BULL!

YOMPTON2NR

[54]May 16, 2009

"I hope they wrap it up well in the series finale.." - That WAS The Series Finale!!! There was s'posed to be two more episodes, E23 - "The Old Ball and Chain" AND
    E24 - "Free"... But apparently when it was decided to that the series would be cancelled, the last four episodes were edited into one two-hour conclusion.

Hopefully, whoever makes the decisions, will include the final four episodes, pre-edit in the DVD set!!!

sbrizz

[55]May 16, 2009

Okay....I just read about the DVD release on July 21 which will have an episode on it filling in the 4-year gap. So there is hope that the ending to this finale episode can be salvaged.

sbrizz

[56]May 16, 2009
    There will be a special episode on the DVD release in July that fills in the 4-year gap. Let's see what they do.

YOMPTON2NR

[57]May 16, 2009
    The GATE Book - Had nothing to do with a reminder of Michael.. GATE was the company T-Bag was working for, undercover, at the beginning of Season 4, his office was the access point for the theft of Scylla... There was a moment, early in the season when T-Bag wanted to stop pursuing Scylla and become the character he was playing in the GATE office.. but when that dream was destroted, he reverted back to his true self... hence the GATE book, infuriated him, it's a reminder of a life he was denied, because of the life he's had.

sLaYDeMOn

[58]May 16, 2009
    Wikipedia says that the last two remaining unaired episodes will be aired in the UK next week (1 week after the series finale airs in the USA), so they will both probably be up for download by next week :-)

RebelDavis

[59]May 16, 2009
    • level: 4

Overall I was very pleased with the final episode. It gave us closure and wrapped up the loose ends of the conspiracy. For those of you who didn't read spoilers or know about Michael's death beforehand I can see how it would be shocking. And I did think that it was very sad that Michael died and I definitely cried, but I actually think it was an appropriate ending to the show.

I have some answers to offer some of you who are confused about Michael's death and some other things regarding the prison break movie. If you don't want to be spoiled stop reading here.

***SPOILER***

Nasta123

[60]May 16, 2009

Probably because of so many amazing finales lately (lost, greys anatomy, house), but I didn't like the finale at all...no clever plan to outwit everyone, just some lame-azz saved-in-the-last-minute-by-someone-we-thought-had-died, boo-hoo...

and scylla? it was the centerpiece of the show for 2 seasons and we got nothing? we should've been shown what difference it made in Africa or whatever they decided to put it to use, and what exactly it did...instead they gave it to UN and we should just hope it does something good? lol.

and i don't understand people who said the ending was sad...i was so pissed off by the stupid and unrealistic way they dealt with the general and christina that i couldn't care less if michael died or not...and he wasn't really a character that you root for, it was the race, the action, that made the series so intoxicating...

very disappointing finale and very unfortunate way to end a great series. glad this show is over though, wouldn't bear another boring season like this one.

Edited on 05/16/2009 1:35am