Prison Break

Quiet Riot

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Nov 17, 2008 on FOX

• 'Quiet Riot' is a fantastically written and directed piece of work.

Before I blow so much smoke up this episode's ass it's untrue, let's just get one gripe out of the way: would anyone in their right mind really let Michael jeopardise the entire mission by coming along on the crawl into the Company in his current condition? Come on! He could blackout at any second! Sarah would drug the guy, cart him off to hospital and have done with it. None of this 'oh yes Michael, you can climb in and get Scylla, even if it does mean you're probably gonna keel over and set all the alarms off at any point.' Hmph. Anyway, back to the plaudits. 'Quiet Riot' is a fantastically written and directed piece of work that succeeds in placing the viewer squarely on the edge of their seat for every single, excruciatingly silent moment. The decision to have no dialogue for a good ten minutes is an absolute masterstroke as it focuses our attention squarely on the dramatics of the scene and, more importantly than that, what could potentially go wrong. I don't know about you but I was literally squirming when watching the cons exercising their plan, which just demonstrates that Hoffman and co. have achieved exactly what they set out to do. Oh, and Gretchen's attempted proposition of the General? Priceless.