Prison Break

The Sunshine State

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Dec 22, 2008 on FOX

• To what the show shouldn't have...

I'm amazed how this show lost it's path. It makes me think they only planed out a 1st and 2nd season before creating the show, that's the only logical explanation for a lac of brains in the last 2 seasons. I wanted to believe that the show was only suffering a writer's strike but it's clear that the show is damaged way more than we thought. I don't recall anyone watching the show for the twists more than Michael's genius planing, I don't care about the company more than what would happen to sucre or to be disgusted by T-Bag. The show has lost it's depth, character and story line wise, it's just about any cliche "you need me i need you" crap. I wish it wasn't true but really it is, to whoever understands in story structure, pulling off a twist like saying someone is alive after 4 season of no interference what's so ever in the plot, not even a little clue or reason to believe that the person is alive, i mean god! your 2 sons are in jail, fox river and in Suna and nothing?! It's obviously a sign of "Help we are stuck!" No one would play that card, it shows the writers are in desperate measures to retrieve the fans with a twist, and that's all they have to offer?! Are they completely lost when it comes to what the fans want? Don't they know we like the story lines better. We want the characters back! You killed Alex's leadership, Sucre's passion and personality, Sarah's sensitivity and Michael's genius and replaced it with car chases and gun points every 10 minutes?! I s that why you get paid?!
  • Pure junk!

This show has gotten so bad it's scary!
    This show has probably one of the best list of actores I've seen,they are all great and it"s painful to see them read these stupid lines...it's as painful as seeing an elephant dance in the circus...you know it's not dancing because it's in it's nature...it was just trained or starved or wahtever...
    I'm sure these guys are bound by their contracts otherwise they should runlike hell!
    This whole storyline is made up for 14 year old's.

This is less then the bottom of the barrel.
    When they broke out of fox river they should have made it into something else but from their it went down hill. I don't even want to be specific becuse except for the actors there is nothing good in the show...

I think that ratings speak lowder then my review so I'll just let this show die a natural death with it's bad ratings. Sorry for the actors who are really great but i'm sure they'll do better. This series's writers should have stayed on strike!
  • This episode was another filler, everything was only a distraction to make a surprising end.

6.8
    After the previous weak episode, I wasn´t expecting something good this time, since the writers don´t have nice ideas to end PB in a good way. This is way I think that the producers could take the chance with episode 12 and formulate a closure in episode 13. But now is too late and the plot is now being stretching.

What happened in this episode? As we already know, t-bag, Gretchen, Self and Lincoln are working together, there is nothing new and they have a mission, because a new character appeared in the previous episode, the writers already anticipated what they would focus in this episode, before the hiatus. Mahone had is participation too, but overall, this was all for distraction, nothing good came from this episode, even the end.

Michael plot was pure filler, as expected, was just to make he thinks about something and having a realization about someone he now knows that is alive. Sara participation was nicely done here.

Presentation Phase - » (6/10),
    Time and Scene Management - » (6/10) filler time,
    Plot Details/Holes- » (10/10) fine,
    Suspense/Tension - » (6/10) fair,
    Drama - » (7/10) exploring Michael mind,
    Surprises/Shocks/Twists - » (7/10) Good game changer by the end.

• Yup, she's alive. Well, nobody saw that coming ten thousand miles off, did they?

Yup, she's alive. Well, nobody saw that coming ten thousand miles off, did they? The resurrection of Michael and Lincoln's mother, and the positioning of her as the 'enemy' from which the brothers must wrest Scylla, smacks just a little too much of desperation for my liking. Much like the decision to turn Self earlier in the season, it seems that the production staff were scrambling for the most dramatic twist imaginable in order to inject the remainder of their season with characterial angst and marry emotional investment in the core cast with the minutiae of the action. Unfortunately, they hit upon just about the most fan-frustratingly ludicrous plot development imaginable; now the entire Prison Break audience is screaming, "WTF?!" at their screens and throwing their bird books down on the coffee table in protest. Wasn't this woman supposed to be a gentle soul, the kind who wouldn't take kindly to a man like Mahone? (Season two reference there, fellas). And okay, so perhaps the boys didn't know the real Mrs. Burrows… but does her role within the Company mean she knew about her husband's betrayal of the agency? The plot to flush him out that ensued… i.e. the framing of her son, the placing of him on death row? Are we really expected to believe that she chose to brush these pesky little things aside? Or are the writers going to explain it away with one of the following empty explanations? 1. She really doesn't care about her family and has always been a Company agent, through and through. 2. She 'knew' Michael would come through for Lincoln and save the day because he was always the intelligent one and her favourite and blah blah blah blah blah. I vote for the latter, actually. It's all just far, far too convenient; it reads as a need to dramatise the plot, rather than the drama arising naturally out of it. And that's never a good thing. Oh, there's the rest of the episode to consider and we're running out of space. Um, Gretchen nearly dying = good, Mahone turning up to help = well, a bit silly but okay, Self/T-Bag/Linc/ho-bag working together = more annoying bait and switch, got on my nerves, Sarah rescuing Michael = thoroughly unbelievable but a guilty pleasure and Michael having his 'personality carved up' = best thing about the episode, fantastically written and played by all involved. It's just a shame you walk away from 'The Sunshine State' with such a gosh darned bitter taste in your mouth.
  • Michael is at a special location, while Lincoln teams up with some enemies.

An exciting episode, don't get why people think its going down hill? Sure, I think the show should end by Season 4 but dang, people are sure jerks!
    Anyways, a psychiatrist from the Company asks Michael various questions, uncluding that his mother is alive. Lincoln, T-bag, Gretchen, and Self are in Miami, Florida, tracking the buyer with Scylla. Lincoln finds out more about the buyer and Sara attempts to free Michael, wherever he is at. T-bag ends up telling the general about this, while Michael finds a way to neitralize the Company Agents and gets free. Sara comes to the rescue, as 2 Company Agents chase Michael & Sara crashes into their vehicle. Michael is free and then the buyer meets Gretchen and the others. They end up getting cornered and shots are fired. Gretchen is shot but the buyer is dead. They decide to leave Gretchen there and then Lincoln calls the person who has Scylla. After talking to the lady on the phone, unaware that he was talking to him mom.
  • That's it?

Seriously, why bother going to all this trouble? Here's an entire season that goes exactly nowhere and doesn't even end properly - which basically amounts to having an extra season tacked on for no good reason that we didn't even need to have tacked on in the first place because it achieves NOTHING...

I had my doubts about the previous season, but at least it had a proper conclusion.

They could have ended the show right there and I would been fine with that. The story kind of ended anyway - in fact, if anything the story had already gone a little too far!

This (last) season, however, appears to be a complete waste of time - at least if it had some kind of proper conclusion you could say, well they tied up some loose ends.

Instead it ends basically like EVERY episode in the entire show ends - on a cliffhanger - with no resolution of any storylines whatsoever and indeed the introduction of a new character! In the LAST episode!

I say again, what was the point??
  • Prison Break gave up on us

You guys are beyond stupid... i made another review on the show it self more in detail... to whomever feels like me can read it there "walla2323" (my user name, feel free to send messages i am waiting for someone to tell me i'm wrong)
  • Double crosses and a suprise instore for the Brothers

We find out that Michael's mother is alive and is still working for the Company and that his life-saving surgery was actually some form of lobotomy to help in enticing him to join the Company's ranks. Lincoln is sent away to the Sunshine state of Miami on the orders of the General to retrieve the Final Card. T-Bag seems to be there to keep tabs on Linc, Gretchen's doing her own thing and trying to make a score for herself, and Self's trying to find a way to usurp Linc's command role. There are just too many double crosses to keep track of here, and it's hard to remember who's selling who out to whom. When they finally get close to the Final Card, Gretchen gets shot and Linc gets to talk to his mommy without him knowing.
  • What happened to Prison Break?

Okay, so the show's now going downhill, very fast. It's seems to have followed the example of other shows by involving family members as bad guys. After all this confirmation of the brothers' mother's death, with the liver cancer in Season 1, to a brain tumor, we now find out she's been alive the entire time, sitting in a nice holiday home, not caring about all the events that happened over the past three seasons involving her children. Come on.

I know Prison Break is known for its twists but now they're pulling twists out of nowhere, hoping to keep their declining viewers watching. But it isn't working.

An amazing show in season 1 and early season 2, now a shadow of its former self. I think it's about time the show came to a close, before it embarrasses itself further.
  • 4x16 The Sunshine State

It was absolutely one of the best episodes of the 4th season of Prison Break. Especially at the end when brother's mother says: It was my son, Lincoln.. I don't know it is kind of weird thing that happened in this episode about the Company. At the start i thought that it just a Company which is not so bad at all and then when Company guys attacked to Michael i thought:Omg, they're so bad..I like this show so much cz there is no good and evil. Its king of both of that. We all saw what Lincoln did to T-Bag, it was horrible torture, he reminded me the Company Guys. I hope 4x17 will be so great too.
  • Good stuff!

I'm not gonna say this episode was perfect, cause it really wasn't. For one, I can't remember the last time I saw Sarah show any emotion that looked like she really meant it. Michael's illness and surgery are getting old already - I just think he deserves a better storyline. It feels like whenever the camera focuses on him, he looks like he's in pain. Enough, already.

But I gotta say, it was pretty revealing when it comes to the boys' family history. My favorite characters, Mahone and T-Bag, didn't really stand out, but that's OK.

Still, with Linc getting closer and closer to Scylla, it was a thrill and really exciting. It was a good episode, but it was definitely not one of the best this season.
  • Are you kidding me???

Well, after watching this episode of Prison Break i am sad. Sad due to the fact that they have managed to ruin this show 100% for me. It seems like the writers just gave up and let a monkey write the rest. I have to say, season one really did it for me. It gave me hope for prime time, but like every other tv-writer capitalists they manage to replace ingenious sceems and plans with embarasing carscenes and clishe dialogues. The show has lost all its originality and touch, and has become embarasingly predictable. Proof one is the fact that i can predict halv the season spoilers before even pressing play. And what a bad ending it was. Didn't give me the slightest satisfaction which a season finale should give.
  • i love prison break

another great episode.the scenes with micheal were brilliant the atmosphere where psychiatrist work is a quite one they wanted to brain wash him first and then they decided to make it the rough way.the interactions between the team self ,t bag and linc were great.self likes to be in command but we see a new side of Lincoln he is in command now instead of his younger brother.the scene where lincoln was pointing the gun at gretchen and t bag protecting her is really the greatest scene in this episode.i think wentworth miller's acting has improved and matured alot in this season and esp.in this episode.i love it that he has put on some weight he looks fit and i think that i prefer the rough part of him when he shouts rather than whisper,i loved the scenes in season 2 when he was shouting at ballack to shut up when he was talking about sara and the overdose,and the scene when he was shouting at t bag about the map in the car.he is really brilliant at acting i love to see him be himself as in season 1 and this season of course this way his acting is really convincing.i really wish that there will be a season 5 but i think people are in a hurry to see what will happen in the end,but then i think i'll have to choose from the random t v series and remember that one day i was a fan of the greatest show ever to hit tv.
  • This was a great episode, although not as good as the last episode, it had me entertained the whole time. (Spoilers)

This episode was superb, and pivotal. It had great character interaction between the four enemies; Lincoln, T-Bag, Self, and Gretchen. I loved how they argued half the episode. One of my favorite parts of the episode was when Self was about to take control of the team from Lincoln, and then Mahone walked in. I loved it!!! The ending was, of course, the best part with Gretchen getting shot and Mahone taking out the man who stole Scylla. I was surprised that Gretchen ended up going to jail. The scenes with Michael were okay, but I don't really care too much about his storyline. My favorite character is, of course, Mahone. Overall though, I give this episode, The Sunshine State, a 9.0 out of 10.
  • OK what have we learnt so far...?

The last two episodes including this one have been veering off of Scylla and more on the brothers. While this is good, it s losing the action scenes and focusing ore on family issues. This is why my review and opinion on "Going Under" and "The Sunshine State" is lower than the likes of "Greatness Achieved" and "Deal or No Deal". While this episode is entertaining and enlightening and I love the character of Gretchen even more, the big twist or shock was seen a mile off. However, I am looking forward to what the brothers' mother being alive will bring. At least 6 more episodes right? but the network have never shown 16 episodes before Christmas leaving only 6 for the New Year. I definitely think that PB will get an extra 2 hours added to Season 4 and it should be a brillant finale.
  • I got to say i thuth this would, and i hoped this would be the last season, But after this exciting entrance i don't know anymore...

This was a start on a hole new season.
    This year the episodes have bounced from poor to great, But unlike season 3 this have been a real great year.

and know that they are gone try to hunt down the buyer wich a perently is there mother. Soo She doesn't work for the company or does She?. Well, i just want answers=). And i don't think this gone beat season 1 and 2, but might beat season 4
  • Slipping a bit from the top

In the previous episode, the writers dropped the revelation that the Company might be doing terrible, immoral things for all the right reasons. That gave me hope that the Company might be recast, ever so slightly, as more nuanced in their actions and motivations. I'm not sure that this episode did much in that regard, and it might have even undermined the best aspects of the plot twist. (Never mind my annoyance with Michael's remarkable lack of bandages, wounds, etc.)

The thing about giving villains a meaningful rationale is that you must, inevitably, explore how that information pertains to the decision-making process of the character. Much like Gretchen's motherhood gave scope to her actions, the truth about Scylla and the Company's true purpose should serve to explain the General's actions. It's not about humanizing the General; it's about making him more than a two-dimensional figurehead for "the bad guys".

For that reason, I had hoped that Michael's discussions with the doctor in this episode would have been more about defining what the Company really is and why they employ their decidedly sinister methods. Frankly, trying to turn Michael with talk of his mother might play into the final arc of the series, but it doesn't make much sense. Michael is all about subtle logic and the big picture.

So wouldn't it have made more sense to appeal to that logic and justify the past as well as the present? Michael may not trust the information completely, but it would be better than trying to appeal to him on an emotional level. That just serves to remind him of all he's lost and stands to lose. The trick was taking his emotional reactions and casting them in a new light, to emphasize why the ends justified the means.

Lincoln's side of the equation was a bit more compelling, because his motivations make sense. It also didn't hurt to have a more complicated dynamic at play with his "team". I'm very happy to see Mahone as Lincoln's ally. Oddly enough, I'm sorry to see Gretchen go as well, and not just because I think Jody Lyn O'Keefe is ridiculously hot. I think the character was a constant reminder of how evil the Company can be, given how completely they twisted her over the years.

The purpose of this episode was somewhat obvious: to set Michael and Lincoln against each other, with their mother in the middle. It's a bit of a hard sell, because while Michael now has reason to side with his mother in the long run, Lincoln has yet to be given strong reasons to back the Company. Maybe the next couple of episodes will clarify those motivations and make up for the lack in this installment. With only six episodes left, however, I fear there may not be time to capitalize on everything this season has offered.
  • Review

This was not a bad episode by any stretch of the imagination, but it did fail to deliver in one key aspect - always making sure that you don't have one storyline that dominates the episode. You can easily break this episode down into two parts - Lincolns Team versus Michael and the Company. Lincolns part of the episode was a 10/10, simply put. I loved everything about Mahone rejoining the team just when Lincoln needed him. I was actually sorry to see Gretchen go in the end. I know she's not dead and looks like she will be going to prison, but with not that many episodes left in the show it looks like we have reached the end to her character. Everything about Lincoln's portion of the episode was classic Prison Break - heart racing action looking for Scylla. Michaels part of the episode was an 8/10, with everyone knowing that my "8" is basically a 4 on most scales. It was not Wentworth Miller's fault, he did what he was written to do. The writing just came across as very poor and very boring. The entire escape plan was learned about by the General and still he managed to get away. There is a line of how much crap they can get away with. Why wasn't Sarah under any watch at all? She can just come and go when she needed to, which seems very unlike the company. I think the better way to do it would have been Sarah to get a hold of Mahone and have them infultrate the house and rescue Michael that way. Then have back-up units arrive and have the three of them running. Seems much more like Prison Break to me.

The whole plot line about the Mom still being alive is "let's see what they make of it." At least it wasn't the father, which would have made me roll my eyes at another dead character coming back to life. Some flashbacks would be good, but this show usually uses flashbacks as more of a "we've all ready seen this on the television screen" format. Overall, it was a good episode for the most part.
  • AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This mid season finale was awesome it showed us that the brothers mum is alive and the one that has Scylla Linc is a bad ass Micheal is still the smartest man in the world even if his brain was **** up mahone made a perfect return self made me laugh my balls off with the your a whore scene t-bag is still a little snake Gretchen survives again (will it be a mistake) the general doesn't care about Micheal as much as i thought he did the general's daughter helps Sarah find Micheal lucky she did or Micheal may have died

so all in all this episode was brilliant and i cant wait for the next 6 episodes to finish off a great show that i will never forget (i hope they do a 6th season also) i can only speculate to how the brothers react when they find out their mother is the one with scylla but i think she is on the good side and the brothers will team up with her, to me it seems that can be more than 6 episode's left in prison break well i can only hope cant i
  • Fall Finale

It was a great episode but not as good as the previous 7-8 episodes or so. Not much happened. The company tried to make Micheal join the company so he can talk to his mother, and Linc, Gretchen, T-bag and Don Self were trying to get Scylla.

In my opinion it was a pivotal episode and that's why there wasn't so much action as we used to have in the previous episodes.

7th of January they will start shooting the next episodes, and well, let's hope they will be good. I'm glad that PB got 24 episodes instead of Season 5.
  • Not much has happened.

Honestly, this was a huge disappointment. Even as a regular episode there was simply not enough action & events to keep up the excitement. But as a fall finale, even worse. The episode really bored me for the most, which is a shame.

And the big twist at the end wasn't really that big, everyone with a common sense could guess it an episode ago.

Where is this episode compared to The Killing Box? But I could say any other (S1,S3) midseason finale aswell.

The only remotely enjoyable scene, for me, was Gretchen's side switching, but even that seemed somewhat over the top.

Overall, not impressed.
  • this season has been amazing and this episode is a perfect example of how awesome prison break is

In the episode we get to see Linc working for the company along the sides of T-bag, Self and gretchen. Lincoln is becoming more and more badass although he didnt kill gretchen which is sad because shes a backstabbing skank. Michael becomes aware that his mom is still alive and that she is working for the company. Mahone comes back thankfully and helps linc and the gang. We get to see who it is that got ahold of scylla and its no other than scofield and his mom. This season is amazing and although i dislike the idea of link vs. scofield, i know they will be able to successfully pull it off and make it a thrill series finale 6 episodes from now!