Profiler

NBC (ended 2000)

gabfan31

Profiler Fan Reviews (12)

• Some series mark time and change history of the TV. Profiler is one of these series! Today we have some series, as CSI, among others, that they are disciples of the Profiler style.

The proposal of the producers of Profiler was to make a series about a forensic psychologist who worked in a special unit of the FBI specialized in violent and serial crimes.
    The objective was, not only show a puzzle of information, but also the human personal drama and involvement in the solution of the crimes of each one of the personages of the series.
    Profiler was a drama that showed a dark side of the human being.

Which the difference and innovation that the series brought for us on the 90'?

The rhythm. The scenario. The Visual effect. The treatment given to the light.
    The choice of instrumental music that had helped to give the dark and melancholic tone of the show.
    The form as was shown the victim and the place of the crime.
    The use of high technology of the information, the equipment used, notebooks, cellular phones, video conference, the use of pda, DNA test, among others things. Everything was new or still much unknown for most of us. Thing, never before used in this way, in a TV series.
    A good script and dialogues.
    The actors were handpicked, as the consecrated Robert Davi (Stargate: Atlantis), Rome Maffia (Nip/Tuck) and Erica Gimbel (Fame). Actors, still little known, at the time, as Peter Frechette and Julian Macmahon (Nip/Tuck). I can not forget to mention the two young actresses who had interpreted Cloe Walters, Caitlin Walchs (Commander in Chief) and mainly Evan Rachel Wood. Evan Rachel Wood (Once and Again), although to only have participated of 7 episodes, gave to us magnificent acting moments with Ally Walker.

However, the soul of Profiler was really the actress Ally Walker (Tell Me You Love Me)! The actress, beyond the physical beauty, brought for the Dr. Sam Walters character, delicacy, the feminine smoothness, force, firmness and independence, at the same time, vulnerability, through a magnificent interpretation. She did grow up as an actress and became big during the series period.

Everything that the producers needed to turn the series into an absolute success!

In the end of the third season, the actress Ally Walker left the show and was substituted by the actress Jamie Luner (Melrose Place), who did not maintain the high level of interpretation established by Ally. Allied to this, the quality of the choice of the subjects of each episode and the level of the dialogue decayed vertiginously, so, in the end of the fourth season, the show was canceled.

Particularly, I thought the first season, wonderful, the second and third seasons, very good, the two first episodes of the fourth season, magnificent and the remaining of the fourth season, mediocre.

Who will be good observer; will see that the production used some scenes in some episodes and that some errors of continuity exist.

If you like shows as CSI and Criminal Mind, see Profiler!

If you like a good drama, a good inquiry and mainly you like a good "thinker" show, see Profiler!

Profiler is in my list of best shows of all the times!