Profiler

The Root of All Evil (1)

Aired Saturday 10:00 PM May 09, 1998 on NBC

• An episode firing on all cylinders.

It's difficult to review part one without having watched part two - will it far apart? Will it fulfill the promises made in part one? That said, I'm going to be daring and say that Root of All Evil is a great episode, arguably the best of the season (nudging out Lethal Obsession).

Root of all Evil covers similar territory to that episode as well - publicity, fame, a world watching watching watching while horrors unravel. In an episode that asks us to face the reality that what we do in Atlanta on our jobs without giving it much thought can ruin lives in Africa, when we cut costs on airplane repair we can be sacrificing the lives of people we've never met, harming people we'll never see. The central ethical observation this episode makes - without being heavy handed or judgmental - is that we don't know and can't imagine the effects of our actions and if we did, we would act differently.

Whether its the drug exporter or Sam's dad (who has always chosen career over family) the episode finds a variety of ways to look at actions and consequences and to invite us to reflect uncomfortably on both.