Project Runway

All Dolled Up

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 14, 2005 on Lifetime

• I hate the new format for picking the models. Please, bring the old format back next season!

One of the things I really like about this series is that there are actually two parallel contests on Project Runway. There is the major contest for the designers and a minor contest for the models. This brings originality to the series and a separate storyline.

During the 2-hour premiere, Heidi announced that this season the models would stay with the designers till the end of the season. That got me really nervous but I was sure Heidi must be wrong. This episode reveals that, while she was wrong, the way they are handling the model contest is going to suck this season. Removing the weekly elimination of "model choosing" totally destroys the model contest storyline. It also doesn't allow for a model who improves, or is shown to be exceptional over the weeks, to move from a designer she may know to be a looser. Basically, since the models were assigned randomly in the first episode, its pure chance as to whether a model wins the contest or not. If we remember from last season, the designers didn't start choosing the same model over and over again till midway through the season when the skills and compatibility of each model was fully learned.
LRW