Project Runway Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on LifetimeIn Season

5.4 Rings of Glory Discussion Thread (spoilers?)

S4R4HfrMD

[1]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 9

DISCUSS!

man, why are they giving jennifer so much crap. her outfit was cute! i'll agree it wasnt "olympic", but i dont think many of them were. my personal favs were blaine, leanne, and *cringe* korto. and why did they like joe's outfit so much? okay it was sporty but it was hideous! right outta the 80's. yuck...

p.s. also hated daniels!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123KK

[2]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 10
    Sorry I can't think of that dudes name right now but that onw who was in the bottom 2 with the dress that was dumb whos gonna wear a cocktail dress to the olypics

MelissaZaf

[3]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 14

123KK wrote:
    Sorry I can't think of that dudes name right now but that onw who was in the bottom 2 with the dress that was dumb whos gonna wear a cocktail dress to the olypics

His name is Daniel. As for Jennifer, there are many things that the designers and sometimes viewers do not get. When you get a challange, the first thing you have to do is look at the project at hand.

Usually a challenge is judged by 1) whether you executed what was asked from you 2) how well you executed it. If you are told to design Olympics outfits, but you end up designing the most well made couture gown ever, it's hard to judge you because you didn't do what was told to do in the first place. Therefore you have more chances of leaving then someone who made a hideous Olympic outfit because they did what the judges wanted.

I think that is where so many designers miss the mark. Jennifer and Daniel's outfits had nothing to do with the Olympics. If they were standing on their own and no one mentioned the word Olympics, you would never know. They weren't sporty or anything.

tafj73

[4]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 30
    At first, I thought Joe was going to win since his design seemed the most appropriate. But then I noticed that the skirt part was longer than the shorts in back, plus the whole design was a little bit......predictable, maybe? Korto's design seemed a little more forward-thinking, despite it having so much white. But I agree with the judges' decision, including auf-ing Jennifer as well. There weren't a lot of good designs in this episode!

S4R4HfrMD

[5]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 9
    MelissaZaf wrote:

123KK wrote:

His name is Daniel. As for Jennifer, there are many things that the designers and sometimes viewers do not get. When you get a challange, the first thing you have to do is look at the project at hand.

Usually a challenge is judged by 1) whether you executed what was asked from you 2) how well you executed it. If you are told to design Olympics outfits, but you end up designing the most well made couture gown ever, it's hard to judge you because you didn't do what was told to do in the first place. Therefore you have more chances of leaving then someone who made a hideous Olympic outfit because they did what the judges wanted.

I think that is where so many designers miss the mark. Jennifer and Daniel's outfits had nothing to do with the Olympics. If they were standing on their own and no one mentioned the word Olympics, you would never know. They weren't sporty or anything.

yeah i get all that but still... it wasnt that bad. i think it was smart for her to use gold, which no one else thought of. i mean, what are all those athletes "going for" anyway? gold, right? and now that ive seen the opening ceremonies this year, i stand by my opinion. altho, those ralph lauren suits were awesome!

Ahny

[6]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 34
    S4R4HfrMD wrote:
    yeah i get all that but still... it wasnt that bad. i think it was smart for her to use gold, which no one else thought of. i mean, what are all those athletes "going for" anyway? gold, right? and now that ive seen the opening ceremonies this year, i stand by my opinion. altho, those ralph lauren suits were awesome!

It's about branding. Yes you're competing for the gold, but that's not what the opening ceremonies are about. They are about showing patriotism to the country that has and is supporting them. That means that the American athletes needs to were red, white and blue, or derivatives thereof.

123KK

[7]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 10
    I actually did like Daniels dress I mean it was really pretty but it had nothing to do with the olypics but if it was for another challenge it would have been really good