Project Runway Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on LifetimeIn Season

Is season six pulling a "Real World"?

sci_fi40

[1]Sep 18, 2009
    • level: 7

What I mean by the title is, is this season slowly weeding out the designers who aren't mainstream "pretty"? Cause lets face it, the Real World stopped having "real" looking cast members a long time ago, and now Project Runway is being produced by the same company.

Last nights episode, designing an outfit out of newspaper, really got me thinking about this point. Gordana made a beautiful, wearable, dress completely out of paper (no muslin at all), and she was in the bottom three because her outfit was "boring". Heck, there were a lot of designers in the "safe" category whose outfits I thought were just plain ugly. The judging this season has just been ridiculous most of the time. I don't really remember what gave me the idea, but I really started to look at the designer physical appearance. Gordana, is not a bad looking woman, but she is the oldest female contestant and nowhere near as good looking as say Althea or Irina. Looking back at all of the contestants that have been eliminated, none of them are ugly, but out of this group they're definitely not the top in the looks category. This season the judging has been just so off the wall sometimes, we as viewers can definitely feel the producers presence. Could they be trying to arrange to have the "prettiest" final 3?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dbcsdragon

[2]Sep 18, 2009
    • level: 12

I agree that Gordana should not have been in the bottom. Since when is a dress being wearable a bad thing on a fashion show. Hers was impeccable. The overcoat was nice but I wanted the feather dress to win. I figured Jonny whould go home for his lies, but I wanted Nicolas to go. I just don't like him.

Regarding peoples' physical looks, I halfway disagree with you. Each of the people who went home were deserving of going home. However, IMO not all of the winners were deserving of their wins. I can't remember too far back but examples include Ra'mon and Mitchell's team design. The dress was fine but that yellow bunched up thing with the green blob on the side was terrible. Yet it was praised. Irina criticized Althea's win last week and I completely agree. That outfit looked as though it fit terribly. Looking back I think some of the wins were given to the "prettier" contestants. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you are incorrect about the judgment methodology.

sci_fi40

[3]Sep 19, 2009
    • level: 7
    dbcsdragon wrote:
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you are incorrect about the judgment methodology.

I hope I'm wrong too. :-)

tjaman

[4]Nov 22, 2009
    • level: 32
    They start with hundreds of designers and pretty much all the ones they select are talented, and also chosen to read well on television. People tune in to see pretty people with some sort of TV "Q" factor. It's almost painful to watch otherwise, and they want the show to be commercial.

All that being said, I think Irina and Althea were both really strong designers (and I'd have said Nicholas instead of Carol Hannah for the final three, but it stands), and they faced stiff competition throughout, so ...