Project Runway Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on LifetimeIn Season

Official Dis. Thread- 5.1 "Let's Start From the Beginning" (SPOILERS)

bballmegan22

[1]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 30

Original Air Date: July 16, 2008
    Additional Info: This episode marks the start of the last season to air on Bravo. Also, it moves to a new time of 9:00 EST.
    Guest Judge: Austin Scarlett
    Contestant Bios: http://www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/season/5/bios/index.php
    Plot Synopsis: In the first episode of the Emmy-nominated creative competition series, the 16 designers are forced to think outside the box and construct an outfit from unconventional materials.

Please use this thread to discuss this episode.

Edited on 07/15/2008 8:44pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MelissaZaf

[2]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 14

They did start from the beginning. At first, I was like "oh no, they are copying season 1" but when I saw the work, I was glad to see the supermarket challange from a new angle with new designers and some of the clothes were truly amazing.

Austin did amazing as a guest judge, he wasn't b**** or anything, he was just fair. Overall, I liked it and I think we are in for a great season. However, just like any new show on tv, I am taking time to adjust to the new cast, their style, and ultimately their personality.

shocker713

[3]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 21
    Well, so far this season is looking to be a hot tranny mess.

Here's an idea for all you over-21 Project Runway fans...go rewatch episode 501, and every time someone says "tablecloth," take a drink.

S4R4HfrMD

[4]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 9

well i didnt catch first season so... this episode was interesting for me. i agree its hard to get to know all the contestants from the first episode but... i really think that rocker chick deserved to go home based on her performance. *however* im more interested in seeing what she does than the guy who got eliminated. (see, i dont even remember their names and i just watched it! lol)

looking forward to the rest of the season!!

Msblakelewis

[5]Jul 17, 2008
    It looks really good but i couldnt help but to laugh at that Blane guy who was like obsessed with tanning haha this season looks like it will be a good one

Mdinkle1

[6]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 35
    This episode was pretty entertaining. I loved Kelli's dress; the bottom of it was so pretty! Daniel's cup dress was also pretty good.

The bottom three were definitely pretty bad - The garbage bag dress looked like it was put together in an hour (it probably was), the raincoat thing was weird, and whatever Blayne's outfit was was just strange - and what was up with him sniffing throughout the whole episode? Weird.

My early favorites (though it's a bit hard to choose at this point) are Kenley, Kelli, Daniel, and Jennifer. I also kind of like Wesley (spelling?), Korto, and Leanne.

I'm definitely glad PR's back, and I can't wait for the next episode!

shocker713

[7]Jul 17, 2008
    Blayne looks like an extraterrestrial. I bet he drives a damn Prius.

GATZ1000

[8]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 39
    I thought is was a pretty good episode and a great start for season 5. The way they brought back concepts from season 1, the challenge and the winner- Austin as a guest judge, was very impressive and worth while. The only thing I didn't like was they should of gotten rid of the trash bag lady instead of Jerry, he atleast tried - failed miserably but tried non the less. I don't reallly have a favorite designer yet but in time the best will be chosen and the rest will be eliminated one by one.

bballmegan22

[9]Jul 17, 2008

Hey, Mdinkle! Do we stalk each other's favorite shows or what?!

I thought it was a good start to the season. Like Tim said, this is a very diverse group and I'm happy about that. My favorite dresses were Wesley's yellow over the shoulder one and Daniel's solo cup dress. I loved the detail around the bust with the edges of the cups curling in a sweethart shape. The garbage bag was hideous and obviously showed no talent, but I can understand why the judges kept Stella. She appears to have a different kind of taste than the norm and Jerry's was just boring. I was disappointed they all chose tablecloths! It's season 5 people, don't you think they want CREATIVITY?!

Mdinkle1

[10]Jul 17, 2008
    bballmegan22 wrote:

Hahahaha, yes! . I agree, I think the judges just kept Stella for personality reasons, because it obviously wasn't for her talent... .

shocker713

[11]Jul 17, 2008
    Mdinkle1 wrote:
    bballmegan22 wrote:

Hahahaha, yes! . I agree, I think the judges just kept Stella for personality reasons, because it obviously wasn't for her talent... .

Personality? She's a Cher impersonator with a terrible case of the kvetches. What aspect of that personality is worth keeping around?

And don't tell me "it makes for good television," because I don't believe that for a second. There are people you love to hate, and there are people you can't stand. The former makes you keep watching, the latter makes you change the channel.

bballmegan22

[12]Jul 18, 2008

shocker713 wrote:
    Mdinkle1 wrote:

I think the judges just kept Stella for personality reasons, because it obviously wasn't for her talent... .

Personality? She's a Cher impersonator with a terrible case of the kvetches. What aspect of that personality is worth keeping around? And don't tell me "it makes for good television," because I don't believe that for a second. There are people you love to hate, and there are people you can't stand. The former makes you keep watching, the latter makes you change the channel.

Well, given the alternative of Jerry, I can understand why they kept Stella. Here's this run-of-the-mill designer with little vision and an unclear measure of diversity. And then you have a gothic girl adorned with crazy clothes herself. At least admitted she picked a bad item and based on her appearance, you can tell she will add more to the mix than Jerry who talked probably once the entire episode. Judging by their appearance, beacuse their garments were equally bad, who do you think would add more creativity and spunk for the show?

Jerry OR Stella

Edited on 07/18/2008 7:35am
    Edited 2 total times.

Vernita_Green

[13]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 10

Jerry's dress and raincoat was a hot hot mess! No color, bad dimensions, it was a complete disaster all around. I think he deserved to be eliminated because he TRIED and that's the best he could come up with. At least the garbage bag lady admitted that she had issues with her material, Jerry really thought his outfit was presentable.

I liked all of the top 3's dresses, I thought the black female did a nice tablecloth kimono, and that cup dress was fabulous, but the top winner was very resourceful with her materials, so she deserve to win.

MelissaZaf

[14]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 14
    Kenley, the girl with the red lips and nice hair, reminds me of someone, like I have seen her before. Is she imitating an actress? Old Hollywood glamour or something? Why is her look so familiar? Help out. LOL

bballmegan22

[15]Jul 18, 2008
    MelissaZaf wrote:
    Kenley, the girl with the red lips and nice hair, reminds me of someone, like I have seen her before. Is she imitating an actress? Old Hollywood glamour or something? Why is her look so familiar? Help out. LOL

My first thought was that new singer Katy Perry who sings "I Kissed a Girl". Google Katy and see what you think because looking at Kenley and Katy next to each other shows a definate similarity.

Mdinkle1

[16]Jul 18, 2008
    bballmegan22 wrote:

shocker713 wrote:
    Mdinkle1 wrote:

I think the judges just kept Stella for personality reasons, because it obviously wasn't for her talent... .

Personality? She's a Cher impersonator with a terrible case of the kvetches. What aspect of that personality is worth keeping around? And don't tell me "it makes for good television," because I don't believe that for a second. There are people you love to hate, and there are people you can't stand. The former makes you keep watching, the latter makes you change the channel.

Well, given the alternative of Jerry, I can understand why they kept Stella. Here's this run-of-the-mill designer with little vision and an unclear measure of diversity. And then you have a gothic girl adorned with crazy clothes herself. At least admitted she picked a bad item and based on her appearance, you can tell she will add more to the mix than Jerry who talked probably once the entire episode. Judging by their appearance, beacuse their garments were equally bad, who do you think would add more creativity and spunk for the show?

Thanks, Megan - that's a good explanation of it. TV shows are all about ratings, and if there are two equally bad outfits, they'll keep the designer who they think will be more entertaining in the long run.

war_eagle

[17]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 6
    To me, the worst thing about that Serial Killer Chic thing that Jerry did was that it had a really weird shape. The garbage bag dress was ridiculous, but Blane's "design" was worse. As amusing as he may be down the line, I think he should've gone. Loved Austin as a guest judge.

tafj73

[18]Jul 19, 2008
    The thing about Daniel's cup dress though is that it gave the model a fuller, curvier figure than what it looks like she had. Although I suppose plastic is difficult to mold to be form-fitting. LOL As for Blayne's creation, the guys at Project Rungay made the comment that "there's a giant cotton centipede crawling out of her lady area." Which actually looks accurate when I look back at it now!

sparkie_ac

[19]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 18
    shocker713 wrote:
    Well, so far this season is looking to be a hot tranny mess.

Here's an idea for all you over-21 Project Runway fans...go rewatch episode 501, and every time someone says "tablecloth," take a drink.

LOL yah I like that idea it helps get through the episode too

zublaw

[20]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 1

Here we go. A decent review found on one of my favorite sites (http://poptimal.com/2008/08/project-runway-lets-start/):

Project Runway: "Let's Start From The Begining"

August 1, 2008 by J.B. Perlow

(Season 5: Episode 1)

At the end of last season, I think the show was turning into a caricature of itself. Whether it was the incessant showing of Tim Gunn saying, "make it work," or every episode being a product placement, I think the Bravo execs or those crazy Magical Elves were forcing the show in a direction away from the competition and challenges. Disappointing to say the least. Will Season 5-the last before the show switches to Lifetime-prove different? "Watch What Happens!"

And so, with our muslin and day pass to Mood, we begin. This was a whirlwind episode but that's usual for the first few episodes when there are more designers than the workroom can handle. We meet everyone. Quick, see how many come off (or are presented as) composite characters from previous seasons. Play along at home. It's fun! Anywho, after some staged champagne toasting, it's an early morning rise to the first challenge.

We return to Gristedes (of Season 1 fame), where the designers had $75 to buy whatever they wanted to design their outfits. Our guest judge was 1940s glam-film star Austin Scarlett (also from Season 1), who, I think, won the original Gristedes challenge by making a dress out of cornhusks, and who I also think wore too much makeup but was a good guest judge.

So what did our designers do? No so much, it seems. Most were far too literal with the challenge, taking cloth-like materials-namely picnic table tablecloths-and fashioning them into uninspiring dresses. Although they did not win, I thought that Joe's tomato/pasta-can-inspired dress, and Korto's kimono-cum-salad bar outfits were interesting in a good way. Daniel should have won for his Solo-cup product placement dress. It was creative even if it did not look terribly comfortable.

The two most, hem hem, different outfits came from Jerry, who must have confused his model for a psych patient, and Blayne, who gave his model a super-absorbent tampon that went in the wrong direction. Or something. And speaking of something…Stella. Oh boy, what was that? I guess someone had to use garbage bags, right? Not really, but if you're going to do that, you need more than a hole in the bag for the legs and draped bags over the bosom. I could have done that and I can't even thread a needle.

So in the end, Kelli won because her skirt was made of vacuum bags and she did a fancy pattern on them. It was creative, sure, but the best? I don't know.

Episode Cheat Sheet In: Kelli and her vacuum bag skirt with burnt sand-dollar-like brassiere. Out: Jerry and his American Psycho-inspired shower curtain (sans hotness). Michael Kors Quote of the Week: Describing Jerry's outfit as a "bridal nurse/handiwipe gone wrong after a night at the hospital," or words to that effect. Tim Gunn Make-It-Work-O-Meter: 2 (including one impression of my impression of Santino doing his impression of Tim). Rating: 4 out of 5 Ninas based on **** commentary, over-inflated egos with not enough design work to back it up, and excessive use of paper gingham tablecloths.