Project Runway Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on LifetimeIn Season

Official Discussion Thread- 5.3 "Bright Lights/ Big City" (SPOILERS)

bballmegan22

[1]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 30
    Original Air Date: July 30, 2008
    Plot Synopsis: The designers are challenged to capture the spirit of the New York nightlife in a garmet based on the photos they took early in the day.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bergie72

[2]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 11

Does anyone else get a little bored with the first 5 or 6 episodes of the season? I mean, 16 designers, so many outfits coming down the runway, it's hard to even remember some of their names when they leave early. I like the later episodes where you see more of their personalities and a better feel for their styling and 'voice' in designing. Anyone with me?

Holla at cha boy! :-)

bballmegan22

[3]Jul 31, 2008
    Yes, I can relate to what you're saying. It is tough to learn all of their names and things at first. This week I liked Kenley's design and I'm glad she won. I think she will go far in the competition. The challenge was similar to one on Chloe's season too I believe, where they took a camera and had to create based on what they took pictures of, right?

MelissaZaf

[4]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 14

bballmegan22 wrote:
    Yes, I can relate to what you're saying. It is tough to learn all of their names and things at first. This week I liked Kenley's design and I'm glad she won. I think she will go far in the competition. The challenge was similar to one on Chloe's season too I believe, where they took a camera and had to create based on what they took pictures of, right?

Yes, it's quite similar to Season 2 except this was done at night. I really appreciate the challenges from a different point of view with different designers, but I do hope that they are not running out of ideas and give us some surprises and twists like they did for Season 3 and 4.

I loved Jerell's dress and I think he should have been questioned about it. I was hoping that Leann would won since her pieces were perfect and considering the mess she made of the last challenge.

I am really getting annoyed with Stella and Suede. So far, I haven't seen any villain, but you never know; someone might reveal their true color later on (Wendy Pepper, anyone?!?!)

S4R4HfrMD

[5]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 9

you know, i kinda like that they have so many designers. especially because on some of the other shows that i watch (like hgtv's design star) they started out with not that many competitors and before you know it, the entire season is over. so i'd rather have more to look at and have the season last longer. but i do agree that we dont really get to see a lot of everyone in the first few episodes.

i really liked leanne's dress as well and was hoping she would win. i think jennifer got a little too much crap about her dress. i mean, if the bottom hem was right, it wouldve been in my top three along with daniel's (?) big green dress. emily definitelt deserved to get the axe this week. i cant believe she thought anyone would wear that!

oh and i had the same thought about the challenges. and i distinctly remember them doing this in season one because i remember jay's dress that was inspired by the empire state building. i really hope this isnt becoming a pattern, either.

dbcsdragon

[6]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 12

Both Suede and Stella are grating on my nerves with the way they talk. Dragon says Suede's 3rd person needs to go. Dragon thought his speech last episode was a one-time deal but then he did it again here. Dragon doesn't even remember what his dress looked like. (ok, I'll stop now)

As to Stella, her outfit looked really good and very true to her, but there are times she needs to just zip-it. Her manners have much to be desired as well. I will wait patiently for the judges critique of "we want to see something different from you" such as they gave Rami for draping in season 4 and Uli for long dress with patterns in season 3.

I appear to be in the minority in that I didn't like Kenly's dress. The dress itself looked a little 80's-ish, but then there was the purple puff on it, which threw me off. I guess I don't uderstand fashion.

Leann's dress should have won IMO. It was bueatifully done and looked the most like its inspiration without it being ugly. Great job compared to last week.

Emily's dress reminded me of Starr's "Envy-cancer dress" from the first season. (shudders)

Mdinkle1

[7]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 35
    dbcsdragon wrote:

I appear to be in the minority in that I didn't like Kenly's dress. The dress itself looked a little 80's-ish, but then there was the purple puff on it, which threw me off. I guess I don't uderstand fashion.

Leann's dress should have won IMO. It was bueatifully done and looked the most like its inspiration without it being ugly. Great job compared to last week.

I definitely agree with you - I didn't really understand why Kenley's won. It wasn't very flattering, the pattern was a bit weird, and I didn't like the tulle bubble thing on the bottom (hah, I don't know how else to describe it ). Leanne's dress, on the other hand, was really well-done. The judges may not have particularly liked it because it wasn't made in an attention grabbing fabric or color, but it was still really good.

One other thing I didn't really understand about this episode was how Emily's dress was terrible enough to get sent home, but Blayne's dress (I think it was his) that looked very similar - black with brighly colored fabric placed on top of it - wasn't even in the bottom three.

daydreams66

[8]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 1

I agree that Blaynes dress was just as fru-fru and overdone as Emilies. Personally I have not seen anything from Blayne that has been remotely creative. Even his lame attempt at a catchphrase falls short of creative. From what I have seen of him, he is trying to be the blond, tan version of Christian. To bad he doesn't have the talent.

Terri had the best, most creative garment. She was not only true to her own unique style, but she nailed her inspiration photo on the head as well. It was just perfect. She should have won!! But hey..what do I know!

gabfan31

[9]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 100
    I thought Leeanne deserved the win, but I'm torn as to the losing design. Emily's was awful, but not more so than Keith's, Jennifer's, and Blayne's, in my opinion. Blayne's personality is right up there with Stella's for most annoying. I don't know, for some reason Suede doesn't bother me, but give it a few more episodes... I like Kenley in general, but I don't think this particular outfit was deserving of the win. I also like Terri, so I was glad to see her up in the top of the group. Was is just me, or was Jerell channeling Christian/Chris with his design? It looked fabulous, but I've seen it before, several times!

tafj73

[10]Aug 1, 2008

I read on another site that one reason why the judges liked Kenley's dress was because it followed the trend of the Balenciaga spring '08 collection. I didn't really like it though - I thought Terri should have won. But oh well, c'est la vie! lol I still think Kenley's a great designer though, and I will definitely watch her more.

I also didn't think Emily deserved to go home, I thought Keith should have went. Even though his took more work to create, it didn't look very good. At least Emily's was fitted well.

tori6557

[11]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 11
    Leanne's dress was absolutely flawless and very creative; she was very true to her inspiration, as well. I love Kenley, but I considered this dress a miss; the tulle part was hideous! I agree with you guys about Blayne, his dress was about as terrible as Emily's.

zublaw

[12]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 1

I tend to agree with season being a bit sub par. Here is an article from a reviewer that I have been following on Poptimal.com.

Project Runway: Bright Lights, Big City

August 1, 2008 by J.B. Perlow

So after the lackluster of the past two episodes, I was hoping tonight's show would shift out of first gear. And did it ever… right in to second gear. What's the deal, folks? This season is dragging and it's only week three. Even one of the designers comments how this week they were now free to design something on their own. Oh, brother. Anyway, we open with another sepia-toned shot of that Elle Magazine cover with Mary Kate Olsen and I'm still confused. Suede, as the winner of last week gets to dump his model but "Suede loves Tia. He could never change." And J.B. is tired of Suede's trying too hard to get screen time. Between that and Blayne's "licious," I'm-sorry, J.B.'s rolling his eyes.

So the challenge… take a photo and use it to create an evening look inspired by the New York City night. (Paging Season 2.) Our designers are divided into groups, each going to Columbus Circle, Times Square, the New York Public Library, and Greenwich Village. We see that Stella Laverne DeFazio, does not know how to work anything not made of leather, including her camera, and that the other kids are still picking on Keith. (Ok, we get it, you grew up in a conservative community and are gay but you're overdoing it with the tattoo, rat tail, AND Crips-inspired wardrobe.)

Back at Parsons Tim is "still a little wet" and Stella is hammering on, what else, leather, thereby pissing everyone off and shouting, "if you don't like it, get the f— outta here." You stay **** there, baby. When Tim goes to do whatever it is he does outside of the workroom, Blayne, deciding that "licious" isn't going to get him a Bravotv.com t-shirt award, says "Hollah atcha boy." Tim, responding exactly as I would, says "Holler at your boy. What does that mean?" Blayne replies by reusing the phrase, thereby violating the rule about not using the same word in the definition. Anyway, it's a cute exchange and shows that Tim is a very white, good sport, saying "Make it work, carry on, holler atcha boy" on his way out. (Our Bravo query asks if "Holla at cha boy" should replace "Make it work" as Tim's new catch phrase. 87% of the four people who voted do not believe that this is the change we can believe in.)

Runway time. Our guest judge is Sandra Bernhard, who looked like she had the Austin Scarlett Syndrome of Week 1. (Where's Collier?) But it's good to see her again after Roseanne and one of the greatest, most underrated comedies ever…Hudson Hawk (I don't watch The L Word). Anyway, the models do their thing and I'm feeling like Goldilocks: too literal (Joe), too boring (Jennifer), or just plain awful (Blayne). My favorites-Jerrell's ****c olive colored gown and Kelli's homage to Aunty Entity-score enough to advance but not enough to be the top three [fist to the sky].

I don't think I've ever disagreed more than with this week's top three: Kenley's pouffy bottom (hem, hem) and Terri's bleh, which according to Ms. Bernhard says "fierce, sexy, and in control . . . . I have a knife and I will cut you up." And this, according to Kors, "is a girl you want to know." Depends on your social circle, I guess. The bottom half of Leanne's, though, I liked.

The stinkers? Keith's "toilet paper caught in a wind storm," Emily's "Carmen Miranda moment," and Jennifer's "matronly" salute to clocks. So who goes home? Emily! I was shocked. Seriously, I thought it was Jennifer. But as we learned from Wendy Pepper, you too can skate by with a matronly outfit if someone else does something really stupid and leaves Nina speechless. But at least Emily considers this only "a drop in my overflowing bucket of experience." Speaking of bucket, has this show kicked it yet? Tune in next week!

P.S. Kenley won.

Episode Cheat Sheet (Season 5: Episode 3)

In: Kenley's outfit, camouflaging the bottoms of our big and beautiful gals since 2008.

Out: "No comment."

Michael Kors Quote of the Week: "[Terri's dress is a] very 80s, Joan Collins, power **** dress."

Tim Gunn Make-It-Work-O-Meter: 4, including the quiz and Keith's vent (cumulative 7).

Rating: 2 out of 5 Ninas based on the third week of uninspiring dresses leaving "something to be desired in the execution" and me longing for Rami's drapery.