Project Runway Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on LifetimeIn Season

Project Runway - Season 8

ocean58

[1]Jul 26, 2010
    • level: 53

Please discuss Season 8 here. There will be only one thread for season 8. Enjoy.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mermayd

[2]Aug 1, 2010
    • level: 19
    The idea of taking an article of clothing from another designer was used in Project Runway Canada! I wish they would give them more time so they could produce work that is good. It's heartbreaking to watch sometimes. I wonder what Michael "how fabulous am I" Kors could produce in five hours under similar circumstances.

Anything?

tjaman

[3]Aug 2, 2010
    • level: 32
    I agree. They structured a high-pressure challenge and also they should really have given a different option about the garment selection. To lose a $1,000+ item in a challenge on a reality show is actively naff.
    Edited on 08/02/2010 7:28am

GinaWard

[4]Aug 5, 2010
    • level: 1
    This is a huge contest with an enormous prize. Being able to think fast, make something out of nothing, is a part of real life. Seeing staples and fringe, all the things that were wrong last night was horrible. However, that could happen in real life too. I think the wrong person was sent home. I was actually shocked! But I am not a judge, and don't know what they might know that I don't. I think they look not only at what is on the runway, but at their initial auditions and previous work. But from what I saw last night, I would have sent home about 5 other designers!

Kollatera

[5]Aug 14, 2010
    • level: 7

I am so glad Gretchen didn't win three in a row. I think her designs are beautiful, but when she talks down to the other designers, I tend to focus more on what she says and not on her great designs! If she doesn't spend to much time arguing with the other designers, I'm sure she's going to Bryant Park.

greysanatomy12

[6]Aug 14, 2010
    • level: 16

I think Gretchen and Valerie are definitely going to be in the finale.Not sure about the third finalist yet.

tjaman

[7]Aug 16, 2010
    I agree with Andy winning the challenge, but I honestly want to see more out of Michael C. That red thing was amazing.

AnoukvdZee

[8]Aug 22, 2010
    • level: 15

Gretchen reminds me too much of Irinia from season 6. Also a strong designer, but that attitude! This year's "phrase of the season" comes from her also; student work. I've heard it about ten times already, and I'm afraid that won't be the end of it... I'd rather listen to Tim Gunn's catchphrase.

mermayd

[9]Aug 27, 2010
    • level: 19

I haven't been able to see last night's episode yet but I am DYING to see the Tim Gunn smackdown. and about time Gretchen got some negativity in her direction. Noone is terrific all of the time - and how nasty was she when others were in the bottom. This is how it feels. Hopefully she'll let her designs do the talking from now on. A proverb about pride.......

EDIT! Ok, I have now seen the episode. What kind of nasty piece of work is Gretchen? Honestly - and she totally deserved the comments that Tim made about her. She has got a big head and needs to get over herself - she's designed a couple of pieces of clothing (neither of which i would wear incidentally), she hasn't found a cure for cancer.

I don't think the judges were fair though - they asked people who the weak designer was and then Heidi was all "it's easy to point the finger". Of course people will point the finger if they are being asked to do so? WTF.

Can someone please explain to me why zips = edgy? And do people in fashion think that nobody over 25 wears clothes? Why is everything about yoof?

Still, a brilliant piece of television. Human nature at it's very worst.

Edited on 08/29/2010 3:20am
    Edited 2 total times.

Kollatera

[10]Aug 29, 2010
    Oh, I adore Tim Gunn! He has to be one of the best teachers around. I read an article in Time about how a university has used the project runway approach for teaching classes, where the lecturer was talking about how Tim Gunn is great at giving feedback. I totally agree with mermayd about Gretchen, but how come Ivy is so stuck up? She hasn't won anything either (as far as I remember, anyhow), but she sure knows how to talk about the others for not winning..
    Is it just me, or were the designers more down to earth and likable in previous seasons?

tjaman

[11]Aug 30, 2010
    Tim Gunn hath verily layeth down righteous SMACK upon Gretchen. I wonder if it will make her rethink her attitude a little. Can't wait to see their next one-on-one. Fftt-fftt!

buffyangel4evr_

[12]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 20

Is it just me, or is there so much bychiness this season? Gretchen's a great designer, but those early wins really went to her head. And Ivy needs to really get over herself. Mondo is a dark horse. He has shown some super scary brilliance.

Kollatera

[13]Sep 4, 2010

I thought is was superfunny when Ivy complained about how Michael C. supposedly accused her of being this seasons b**. Ivy: "I really just need to focus on getting to the end of this competition". That made me laugh! Well, stop stabbing the others in the back then!

tjaman

[14]Sep 6, 2010
    Lifetime's editing and production booth are writing checks these designers can't cash. Ivy collapses and goes to the hospital but she comes back and she's totally fine (I mean yeah, thank G-d, but you hear what I'm saying, drama for the sake of it).

Then Tim Gunn all but throws down with Gretchen and the next day, totally fine, no hard feelings, nothing. Even the other designers (most of them) are defending her.

And all those roving cameras, you're telling me no one witnessed Michael C. saying anything to anyone about Ivy? Because you know Lifetime would show it. For whatever reason they've decided they've got 90 minutes to fill. They subtitle the designers during the runway show. These people can be overheard speaking under their breath, and Michael they couldn't hear anything, so as far as I can tell, Ivy's just making stuff up.

Lifetime is trying to sell behind the scenes dramah, but when it comes right down to it, there just isn't a lot of "there" there. :\

Rdchili12

[15]Sep 7, 2010
    • level: 1

Is it just me or did they not show "larger then life" on lifetime, i have every other episode, and when i search it does not even have a repeate of it? Maybe im crazy but i think they left it out. anyone else?

Kollatera

[16]Sep 25, 2010
    How did Gretchens dress make top three in this episode? I usually agree, she makes a lot of gorgeous stuff, but this.. I guess it confirms that I am not a fashion expert. Really happy for Mondo, he really deserved the win!

ocean58

[17]Oct 24, 2010
    • level: 53

I'm happy to see, that the judges finally decided to send Michael C. home. I didn't like his chocolate coloured colection at all. But what a drama he made from his elimination. This guy has some serious family issues.

I think the win will be between Mondo and Andy, with a big tendency to Mondo. He does a lot of great looks.

Edited on 10/24/2010 2:39am

greysanatomy12

[18]Nov 7, 2010
    • level: 16

I can't believe Gretchen won!I was rooting for Mondo....I did like Mondo's collection better but Gretchen's was my second favorite.

Edited on 11/13/2010 2:29pm

mojomoonjo

[19]Nov 18, 2010
    • level: 4

this was the first season I ever watched of this show and after the joke of a choice in winning designers in the finale, I will never fall for their bad taste again. Its a joke what passes for fashion these days and this show proves it. Boring ugly Boring granolas "fashions" won? ! Andy's stuff was BY FAR the most beautiful AND functional that NORMAL people would wear and feel good about paying that much money. Some of MAndos stuff was okay but as a hispanic ,I found his Dia de los Muertos inspired-line garish and cartoonishly hideous. I see old hispanic ladys wearing that ugly tee at bingo.

mojomoonjo

[20]Nov 18, 2010
    • level: 4
    "Is it just me, or is there so much bychiness this season? "

lol..thats what made ME want to watch this show for the first time...lol!
    They hooked me, then hoodwinked me! lol