Project Runway Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on LifetimeBetween Seasons

Project Runway - Season 9

ocean58

[1]Jun 26, 2011
    • level: 53

Please discuss Season 9 here. There will be only one thread for season 9. Enjoy.Smile

Project Runway Season 9 premieres on July,28 on Lifetime with 20 talented designers.Kim Kardashian, Christina Ricci, Zoe Saldana and Malin Akerman will be some of the guest judges this season.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ocean58

[2]Jul 31, 2011

9th season started with some shocking events. First 4 of the contestants were eliminated, before even they had a glimpse of the show.

5 o'clock in the morning the designers are awaken by Tim, and they are not happy about it, as they have to walk in their PJ's to the workroom. The challenge is that the designers have to create a look from a bed sheet and their pajamas.

Then we got to learn about Anya, who was sewing for the first time. More important about her is that she is the former Miss Trinidad and Tobago, with some other firsts in her life. Seems mylifetime is looking for new viewer categories.

Bert Keeter wins the first challenge, but will he be able to master the problems with co-designers as 35 years of age sets the oldest designer apart from the youngest. Finally Rafael is eliminated, after being convinced that Nina was observing him with "sex" eyes.

In the second episode "My Pet Project" the designers will be working with unconventional materials from a pet shop.

Edited on 08/05/2011 10:57am
    Edited 2 total times.

chalidon1881

[3]Aug 12, 2011
    • level: 5

Kardashian, beautiful but not a good judge. I don't think she added any insight on anything. I am not sure how anybody could watch her on TV; it would hurt my brain and my IQ. Just one word of advice to her, when you reference something make sure you reference correctly. The Sound of Music was not the movie who made a dress out of curtains, it was Scarlett O'hara from "Gone with the Wind." It just bothered me that nobody corrected her. Of course to be fair I never saw Sound of music, so maybe they did too.

Edited on 08/11/2011 11:03pm

Kollatera

[4]Aug 13, 2011
    • level: 7
    I don't like celebrity judges, they don't add anything to the discussion. Actual designers are different, they actually know how much work it is behind a design!

dbcsdragon

[5]Aug 17, 2011
    • level: 12

chalidon1881 wrote:

Kardashian, beautiful but not a good judge. I don't think she added any insight on anything. I am not sure how anybody could watch her on TV; it would hurt my brain and my IQ. Just one word of advice to her, when you reference something make sure you reference correctly. The Sound of Music was not the movie who made a dress out of curtains, it was Scarlett O'hara from "Gone with the Wind." It just bothered me that nobody corrected her. Of course to be fair I never saw Sound of music, so maybe they did too.

In The Sound of Music children's playclothes were made from drapes. Even so, I still agree with you. I have never liked the Kardashians. They're not famous for anything that is truly important in life. Many celebrities have lines out. Is designing so easy that anyone can do it? Do they sell clothes because their clothes are so great or do they sell clothes because they have a celebrity's name on it? I wouldwager it is the latter. Therefor, to me,the celebrities don't have nearly as big of an influence as those designers who had to start from the bottom. Wonder if the celebrities can use a sewing machine?

Either I am watching a different show than the judges or in the past year I have lost any sense of what looks good.

Very beginning four designers were cut. They went through an interview process just like the previous episode, which was all the same. Why not have the bottom eight have a design off and eliminate the bottom four?

Nightclothes- Bert's looked like he took some sheets and wrapped it around the girl. Even the judges commented on the girl's lack of styling, yet he still won over Anya's beautifully made pants and silk shirt.

Pet store- (Sorry I don't remember names) The guy sent home used umbrella fabric, the guy that won used dog bedding. Both materials are fabrics. As for the guy that won, everyone mentioned his amazing use of colors...what I saw was brown matched with beige. Nothing exciting or new. The skirt part was nicely done. The guy who did the fish rocks pattern did something eye catchy and attractive, even if the bottom part was lacking.

Stiltwalkers- This had the potential to be an amazing, but I wasn't sure what the perameters were. Were they making clothes for everyday women with really long legs or were they making clothes for professional entertainers? The designers didn't seem to know either.

Not a promising start, so I hope it gets better.

chalidon1881

[6]Aug 29, 2011
    • level: 5

I didn't understand the stiltwalking challenge, either. If they still wanted real women outfits then why have a challenge like this. I assumed it was all about fantasy and fashion. The top three had great outfits, but no fantasy. While the ones who made the worse went with some type of theme inspired design, which I think should have went with the challenge more.

Edited on 08/29/2011 4:32pm

ocean58

[7]Sep 3, 2011

Now the top 10 revealed Joshua McKinley, Anthony Ryan, Anya and Laura seem to be the front runners. Becky, Bert and Olivier seem to be leaving soon. What do you think?

Kollatera

[8]Sep 9, 2011
    Oh the dress Victor Luna made in episode # 7 is one of the best gowns I've seen on the show! Love, love, love it!

mermayd

[9]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 19
    chalidon1881 wrote:

Echoing the poster above to remind you that the Sound of Music DOES make clothes out of curtains for the children. Word of advice to you - don't correct somebody about a film in such a patronising way if you haven't actually seen it.

Is anyone else finding this series lacklustre in general?

Kollatera

[10]Oct 29, 2011
    Yeah, feels like they've cut the budget quite a bit. 5 weeks to do an entire collection? Also, the winner here was obvious from the start. Felt like Heidi pushed this through.