Project Runway

Let's Start From The Beginning

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jul 16, 2008 on Lifetime

• Season starter, this challenge had the 16 contestants running through a grocery store to shop for some unusual materials to make an outfit. They chose items such as plastic cups, table covers, coffee filters, mops and one contestant chose food items.

5.6
    In this season starter the show chose to do a repeat of a challenge used during season one. Making an outfit from products chosen from a grocery store. This is my personal opinion but this challenge only impresses me in the sense of getting a clue as to the extent of imagination the designers pocess. Maybe that is the whole point. But in fashion, I would like to see them use the materials they would use in the actual running of a serious business. I didn't like it in season one and I didn't like it this time around. I do believe the designers in season one did do a better job on this challenge. This episode ranks right up there with the episode, also in season one I believe, where the designers had to take materials from a recycle bin. I just don't see it and I personally don't like it. I prefer to see them dismantle denim pieces and design an outfit as they did in the last season. This made sense to me. I feel challenges like this one are nothing but a source of frustration for the designers and are unfair to them and to the models who also have a stake in this program. I do have to admit the dress made from plastic cups was genious! I would never have imagined that would work. I was really concerned for the model who had to wear it. I'm guessing it was really uncomfortable, probably painful. The garbage bag outfit was really sad. The designer obviously chose the cheapest trashbags on the shelf. I'm not sure what she was thinking...but she did give up too easily. She could have done anything that would have looked better than putting that poor model in that mess! My heart went out to the model and they were right in eliminating that designer. All in all, I do look forward to future episodes, all but the ones that are just too rediculous.