TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Psych Forums

USA (ended 2014)

Official Discussion - "Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark" (Spoilers) FF

Hakuo0000

[1]Oct 13, 2009
    • level: 12

FALL FINALE

"Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark" - October 16th.

Episode Summary:

Shawn's life hangs in the balance when, while working on a case involving an ice cream truck, he stumbles onto something bigger and more deadly.

Discussion of the ninth, and fall finale, of season four should be posted here.

[Who else is extremely happy it's not being called a 'season' finale anymore?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[2]Oct 14, 2009
    • level: 28

I am!

And I am looking forward to this one. I enjoy tension, and this one promises it in spades! Also, I think I can only think of two other episodes where Shawn gets hurt ("Spellingg Bee" and "Lassie Did a Bad, Bad Thing.")

Kat

KMTaber

[3]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 11

There is the episode where Shawn and Gus get knocked over by Lassiter when they were chair racing. Shawn got a boo-boo on his elbow. (I just got done watching some of the back episodes on DVD.)

I am looking forward to what the writers do with all the characters reacting to Shawn's situation. From the quick clips they have shown, I think it is going to shed a light on the relationships.

historylover20

[4]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 28

OK, that was kind of awesome. Best one of the season so far.

I liked seeing Shawn in a vulnerable position. And I knew that Henry would turn into Papa Bear.

Tim in the Psych-Outs was the funniest part of this episode. But, they don't all have to be funny (in fact, I think they've been trying too hard to be funny lately) in order to be awesome. Sometimes they can go on the serious, realistic side.

Dude! Judd Nelson is guesting in the spring section! Sweet!

Nitpick: there really isn't any way to shoot someone in the shoulder without seriously injuring them. Which is something TV and movies get wrong all the time. (Only exception I've seen: NCIS.) Plus, that bullet looked like it had gone through Shawn. He would have shattered shoulder, probably seriously damaging the ball of his joint. Plus, there are a lot blood vessels in shoulders. Those would have been damaged. At least, at the end, Shawn had his arm in a sling. Plus, he didn't seem in all that much pain when he was running through the woods. But, kudos for conveying pain in the chair. That was really good.

Kat

SVU_number_1fan

[5]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 17
    BEST EPSIODE EVER OMG that was soo good and i aghree SHULES moment rocked and i do think that she was goung to say it back to her omg lol and omg that gina grl was tooo freakin funny kloved her great epsidoe kept me ont he egde of my bed lol i got a lil mad bcuz my mom ketp calling me to help ehr fold clothes i was amd but dont worry i did not miss anything and i loved henry and lassie old cop vs new that was great loved ti loved this who epsiode and loved gus' PJs toooo funny omg i loved this epsiode so much very good and i loved the ending when shanw gave the phone to gus and it was that crazy Gina grl and Shawn was all liek ask her to go to chessecake factory omg loved this epsiode but u no i think that Shanw does has true feelines for jules and the other way around of course i loved this eppy saving it on ym dvr 4ever and loved the part about fast and the furious that was sooooo funny omg loved this epsiode with all my heart great psych!!!

pgsuperfan

[6]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 25
    Good ending to the season, way to short. We will have to wait till January to see if Jules loves Shawn. I loved the name Donuts Hole Stein
    Edited on 10/17/2009 1:44pm

KMTaber

[7]Oct 17, 2009
    historylover20 wrote:

Tim in the Psych-Outs was the funniest part of this episode. But, they don't all have to be funny (in fact, I think they've been trying too hard to be funny lately) in order to be awesome. Sometimes they can go on the serious, realistic side.

Dude! Judd Nelson is guesting in the spring section! Sweet!

Nitpick: there really isn't any way to shoot someone in the shoulder without seriously injuring them. Which is something TV and movies get wrong all the time. (Only exception I've seen: NCIS.) Plus, that bullet looked like it had gone through Shawn. He would have shattered shoulder, probably seriously damaging the ball of his joint. Plus, there are a lot blood vessels in shoulders. Those would have been damaged. At least, at the end, Shawn had his arm in a sling. Plus, he didn't seem in all that much pain when he was running through the woods. But, kudos for conveying pain in the chair. That was really good.

Kat

I think the psych-out this week was a random outtake. I don't think they set it up as a psych-out.

I have given up looking at any shoulder injury on TV or in the movies for realism. I knew Tim had really injured his shoulder when in Rob-a-bye-baby he stepped off the chair and griminced. Only people who have really injured their shoulders know that any jarring movement hurts like crazy. I hadn't read the article about him injuring it after crashing on his bike. Having had 4 shoulder surgeries, I knew something was really up. One could argue that Shawn didn't show much pain while running from the guy who wanted to kill him due to adrenaline, which can block pain, and that he was coming off the rush while in the chair. But like I said, I stopped looking for realism in any injury on TV or in movies so it doesn't take away from the story.

I liked Lassiter saying Shawn and his Dad are a like since Shawn constantly tries to prove he is nothing like his Dad. I can see why they decided to make this one the fall finale. In addition to the suspense of the story, there was a lot of good character stuff. I am just bummed that we have to wait three months for the next episode.

Bisrossk

[8]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 9
    Well, I thought it was one of their best episodes so far. I'm glad to see them moving into a slightly more serious territory this season and yet, somehow, it still feels like one of the funniest seasons they've had, as well.

As for the injury, thing, I've never been shot in the shoulder and chased through the woods, so I can't vouch either way for its accuracy.

luvnumbah6

[9]Oct 18, 2009
    • level: 6
    Great dramatic yet humorous episode definately one of the best so far this season... As for not showing pain it is kinda of weird he showed minimal pain and blood loss... but aside from that good episode. The whole "I love you... Abigail" scene was great.

FAITHISME09

[10]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 2

I liked it. It was very good but it wasn't the funniest. It did have some good lines. Also...did anyone else notice another stab at The Mentalist?? I wonder if they will start jabbing at Lie To Me or whatever that show is called.

I'm sad we have to wait until January to get more Psych but the preview for the second half looks good!!! Can't wait!!

KMTaber

[11]Oct 19, 2009
    The writers set out to have an episode more like the one with the ying-yang killer, so it wasn't suppose to be one of their funnier ones. But the timing of the humor was perfect, and funny that often times it was Lassiter who delivered the levity.

sh3109

[12]Oct 20, 2009
    • level: 3
    Haha.. loved this episode. loved the mentalist joke and the whole fast and furious dialogue. i don't blame him for not wanting to be paul walker. i also noticed that he wasn't showing that much pain from the bullet wound, but it didn't bother me that much. the relationship portrayal i liked most was the between the Shawn and his dad. I like how despite their issues, they really care about each other. and yeah.. i loved how Lassi said that Shawn and his dad are the same.

GiancarloChico

[13]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 7
    sh3109 wrote:
    Haha.. loved this episode. loved the mentalist joke and the whole fast and furious dialogue. i don't blame him for not wanting to be paul walker. i also noticed that he wasn't showing that much pain from the bullet wound, but it didn't bother me that much. the relationship portrayal i liked most was the between the Shawn and his dad. I like how despite their issues, they really care about each other. and yeah.. i loved how Lassi said that Shawn and his dad are the same.

it's called adrenalin. thts y he didnt feel tht much pain until he was in the chair. he was kinda running for his life. he has more pressing worries than a gunshot wound.

TBones22

[14]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 10
    Exactly. Its beyond fascinating what the human body is capable of in survival mode.

This ep was awesome, and that was so sweet when Lassy said "Nice shooting, detective" to Shawn. I hope they refrence that again in the next half of the season. The highway chase has to be my favorite part. The song they picked was perfect.

haldrey

[15]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 22
    The best episode of the season so far. It might not be as funny as usual and I missed the psychic moments and it was totally different but still it was the best. Lots of drama and action. The only thing I hate, the split season.

tjaman

[16]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 32
    I loved everything about this fall finale, and I'm going to be waiting anxiously for the series resume in January.
    Edited on 10/25/2009 12:28pm

rebekah457

[17]Dec 22, 2009
    • level: 3
    This is the episode that made me take notice of this show. I'd seen a couple other episodes but nothing that would make me give up my mainstay Friday night show - Numb3rs. I saw this episode on Hulu and I've watched it at least 12 times. I even added seasons 1-3 to my Netflix queue and moved them all to the top! This was a fantastic episode. It was paced well, the score was great, and the comedic moments were brilliantly intermingled with the drama. I will say that I too had issue with the fact that the pain Shawn expressed was uneven; however, adrenaline can make a huge difference when it kicks in, so I am willing to let that slide. I still wish they had let Shawn collapse just a Henry reached him, rather than having Henry drape him over the hood of the car and go help Lassiter. I think Lassiter could've handled cuffing the suspect on his own. Still, what a great episode! This is definitely appointment TV for me now.

pgsuperfan

[18]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 25
    Looking forward to the start of the new season, wished PSYCH was still on Fridays

jazzybreeze

[19]Feb 23, 2010
    • level: 6
    son of a *****!!!!!!!!!! dey shot my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh god shawnie!!! im cumin honey ill save u!!! LOVE PSYCH!!!! JAMES RODAY AND DULE' HILL SO HOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Edited on 02/24/2010 10:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.

estella87

[20]Mar 3, 2010
    • level: 14

I haven't watched this episode yet but it sounds interesting (though I watch Psych for the funny episodes).

From the picture (medically speaking) it looks like the wound is pretty close to the heart and could have injured the axillary artery, penetrated the left lung and perforated the scapula. But seriously - who cares?