Psych Forums

USA (ended 2014)

Shawn's Mom

maryshine

[1]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 9

Okay, I've seen every episode, except the first one. I always assumed that the former Mrs. Spenser still saw Shawn. However after watching "BLACK AND TAN: A CRIME OF FASHION," I got the impression that Mrs. Spenser just left one day and neither Shawn or Henry had heard from her since. Can someone help me fill in the blanks? THanks!

-Mary

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TVsALF

[2]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 4

I don't remember the exact quote. In the pilot episode, Shawn mentions helping his mother cope with the divorce.

SMGslayer97

[3]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 34
    Maybe he just hasn't seen her in some time? Perhaps they kept in contact for awhile but it's been some time before he's seen her. Not sure about this.

Blaze_375

[4]Feb 16, 2008

Who knows, but after the ending of the last episode we will probably find out next season. Summer's so far away, how can we possibly wait that long. I'm going to go into psych-withdrawal.

Come to think of it, in the second or so episode when Henry was going to go on a date, Gus says something like "You want to talk about it, hasn't it been like 15 years?" or something. So I figure that she just left one day.

Edited on 02/23/2008 5:36am

littlematilda

[5]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 12
    I believe that Henry and Shawn's mom got divorced when Shawn was 15

pgsuperfan

[6]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 25
    Wonder who will play Shawns mom?

cfenn2010

[7]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 6
    pgsuperfan wrote:

I bet they're wondering that too (the writers/cast) That's probably why they had her all "nondescript" in the beginning of the last episode, when they finally "showed" her, to leave them with options. Towel covering her head--no hair color. Only her back was shown--no face. Robe covering her body--no body type, no distinguising marks or fashions. I don't even think we could guess the height. Even her voice sounded somewhat disguised or weird for the one line she had. I'd bet anything the woman in that scene will not play Shawn's mother, and we'll never really know. They could be still searching. Either that, or they just want it to be a surprise. Check the names for guest stars in the beginning of the last episode credits after the theme. But they might not've even put it on there, seeing as how she only had one line and they'd know us sleuths in training would probably figure it out

UltimatePyro9

[8]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 36
    Maybe Lynda Carter could play Shawn's mother... Wait Wonder Woman was in the 70's. Sorry
    Edited on 02/21/2008 8:03pm

iluvgilmore7791

[9]Feb 24, 2008
    • level: 19
    I hope it's a good actress.

ixmattxi

[10]Mar 8, 2008

I have nothing to back this up outside of idle speculation, so don't even take it for a rumor. But I have a hunch that Michele Greene, Corbin's co-star from LA Law will end up playing Mrs. Spencer.

That said, what do you think her dynamic in the show will be? How will she effect Shawn? Will she be around for awhile or will it be a one time/recurring every now and then thing? How do you think she will feel about her son's line of work? Think she will coddle him. I wonder if she is going to be a lot like Henry originally was? Henry has recently softened up towards Shawn and even helped him in cases. I wonder if they are bringing the mother in to give both of them a kick to the arse and say "Quit playing detective and get a real job!"

CodeXana

[11]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 20
    I can't wait to see his mom!

Avearia

[12]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 14
    Well, I dunno what to say to that. I mean, up until that episode that had Henry trying to explain where babies came from to shawn, (line ended in him going asking his mother,) I had just assumed that his mother was DEAD. Pretty obvious now that she's not, she's just divorced, but... well, my theories were all thrown out the window. However, I'm guessing Shawn's mom is probably going to be a LITTLE more down to earth than either of the spencer boys... ...

DukeLOrange

[13]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 5
    This will add another dimension of funny to the show. Imagine Lassiter meeting Mom.... or better still Juliet meeting her. the Mom can try to hook the two of them up. The mom can not know what Shawn is doing and all of them including Henry has to hide the fact that Shawn is pretending to be a psychic AND solve the crime. They can go a lot of places with this one.... I can't wait!

kerosco

[14]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 8

I was thinking that Shawn's mom should be played by some actress from the 80's since the boys love the 80's. At first I thought it would be funny to have Meredith Baxter Birney (or as Gus called her MBB) because Gus had a crush on her which in turns means that Gus would have a crush on Shawn's mom. Then I thought an LA Law actress would be funny. I hope we actually get to meet her and they follow thru with this cliff hanger unlike the close-talking episode where it was never mentioned again.

SVU_number_1fan

[15]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 17
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    it is The coveted role of James Roday's TV mom on Psych has actually gone to Chuck Lorre's BFF ex-Moonlighting P.I. Cybill Shepherd. Not nearly as exciting as Meryl Streep, but, c'mon, still a fun piece of casting. Shepherd will appear in at least two episodes, beginning with the third-season premiere on July 18. According to a USA insider, her character, Madeline, is a private practice psychologist who, after spending a few years abroad, returns to Santa Barbara to pay her ex-hubby (Corbin Bernsen) and son a visit and ends up helping them with a case. She's described as being a free spirit and the source of Shawn's adventurous side. Ma Spencer was actually introduced in the final moments of the Season 2 finale when she showed up unannounced on Shawn's doorstep; viewers, however, did not see her face.

DZA187

[16]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 10
    This sounds like good casting to me. Cybill Shepherd is joining Psych for a mini-arc as Shawn's mom. The actress, best known on TV from her hit series Moonlighting (remember, her and Bruce Willis?), has recently been on Showtime's The L Word. Cybill's not a great dramatic actress, but she is pretty funny and should fit in perfectly with the goofy, good-natured fun on Psych.

When Psych comes back to USA Network on July 18 with new shows, her episodes (at least two) will be broadcast. She's playing Madeleine, Henry's ex-wife and Shawn's mama. So far in the series, Maddie (like Maddie Hayes in Moonlighting perhaps?), has not been shown in the scenes depicting Shawn -- and Gus's -- childhood. Corbin Bernsen, who plays Henry, has worn a hairpiece for the retro scenes and goes bald for the present day scenes. We'll see whether Cybill's in both scenes or not...

According to the show, when Madeleine appears in Santa Barbara, she's coming from Europe and wants to visit her sonny boy. The visit, so we're told, dredges up some old memories. And since this is a crime/caper/mystery show, perhaps Maddie's bound to get involved in one of Shawn's cases.

JIH1984x

[17]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 9
    TVsALF wrote:

I don't remember the exact quote. In the pilot episode, Shawn mentions helping his mother cope with the divorce.

Other things changed after the pilot. I don't know if I would quote the pilot for information for the rest of the series.