Psych

Shawn Has the Yips

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 11, 2009 on USA

7.4
  • This was an incredibly well crafted episode. All of the characters were used fabulously, regardless of their screen time. This was truly and edge-of-your-seat episode! Lots of tension, character development, and, of course, humor!

This was an incredibly well crafted episode. All of the characters were used fabulously, regardless of their screen time. This was truly and edge-of-your-seat episode! Lots of tension, character development, and, of course, humor! In addition, the bad guy was a wonderfully developed character in spite of the small amount of time he was shown. What I was really excited about was the inclusion of Buzz in a more active role than we've seen in the past. While he is a secondary – possibly tertiary character, he still deserves the love! Lassiter, though, was the one that OWNED this episode! Double gun shoot-out, badass cop attitude, and a killer wardrobe were just a few, tiny elements raised my heart rate and had me wishing the show was longer than an hour! Psych continues to excel, and exemplifies what television is supposed to be about! Already Friday is too far away.
  • This is a perfect example of when Psych accomplishes the fine balance between keeping it funny and dabbling with some heavy stuff.

This is a perfect example of when Psych accomplishes the fine balance between keeping it funny and dabbling with some heavy stuff. 'Shawn has the Yips' is well written and well shot with an uncanny ability to jump from funny moment to a serious one seamlessly.

In this episode, Shawn tries to convince everyone after a shoot out at a local bar that it's an assassination attempt on one of them. The target as it turns out is Lassiter. Investigating the case Shawn and Gus team up with Juliet while Lassie sulks under protection before the bad guy is finally found.

This episode is a rare treat because it provides equal space to the entire cast. Everybody gets to play except for Shawn of course, who tries to deal with his hilarious mental block (thus the Yips in the title) of being unable to throw a proper catch even as he pieces the puzzle together.

Funny moments that stand out include Shawn's frantic elliptical workout fuelled by a fear that the machine is rigged to blow up should his heart beat rate come down. Only later does he found out, that the note was not a death threat but a 'motivation' tool left for him by Juliet. The whole elliptical version of 'Speed' is by far the funniest moment of the show.
  • Great episode Spoilery inside

A great episode, finally some revival of shawn's pyschic abilities...And he seems to have toned down a bit, sometimes he used to annoy me, being all cartoonish in his portrail of his "visions", but now he is a brand new cooler fake psychic.Maybe they are trying to show his change after an evening with mr. yang, that's my working theory for the past episodes. I love the buzz approach, I missed him being around on cases, and they actually gave him more lines than usual...then they blew him up :)
    We got yet another sample of bravery when the sprinklers went on, I nearly fell of my chair laughing, that scene was brilliant. Also Juliet's message a.k.a. bomb under the treadmill - very well played, maybe I should try that...
    Lassiter again with the guns...He shot the place up more than the bad guy :)But that's Lassie for you. Good to see him as more than a token character as it happened lately.
    Anyways, can't wait for the next episode...an entire week until then...The horror:P
  • Best of season 4

I absolutely adored this episode. But somehow, I couldn't simply digest the weird ending. I really don't know why, probably the whole motive for the dad to kill the drug guy and Lassiter seemed too forced upon. It seemed something like, if the writers wrote material that concluded with something like Petrovich being the shooter, it would have been bland and cliched. At the same time, Salamatchia being the shooter provided the unseen and unexpected ending, however it was too forced upon and not too convincing as well. But that's the pitfall of Whodunnit shows like Psych and Mentalist.

Otherwise, this installment was sheer brilliance. This is easily the best mix of edge of seat tension and laugh out comedy. Now, I seriously wonder why this show is so underrated.
  • Good ep.

This was a light-hearted, but full of laughs episode of the USA Network original series. The premise was enjoyable and the show progressed quickly and somewhat surprisingly as opposed to some recent episodes where things seemed to drag on for all eternity. Corbin Bernsen should have gotten more screen time, but that is a minor complaint.

Another reason for why this episode succeeded was that the 80's pop culture references by Shawn were kept to a minimum. That is something the show rarely does, but when they keep the humor simple, such as in this ep (except for the stupid contest where they tried to ruin Carlton's interview) the show works best.