Psych

Shawn vs. The Red Phantom

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 25, 2006 on USA

• Shawn and Gus go to a Comic Book convention to solve a crime. Good plot idea, badly written.

I love this show, and I'm so excited to see where it's going. But I'm so disappointed with this episode. They've gone overboard with how much Shawn disrespects Gus. I think they'll lose viewers. They may lose me.

We all expect Shawn to be out of line a bit. But he's getting further and further into the realm of "that friend no one actually continues to put up with". Doing so makes Gus look stupid, which his character isn't, and turns off viewers.

It wasn't necessary for Shawn to trash Gus's valuable comic book. It wasn't necessary for him to bring Gus in as the Magic Head. What purpose did either of those two things serve except to make a fool of Gus or to be abusive to him? It wasn't funny at all, it just served to tick off the viewers and alienate them from Shawn. There's a difference between a side-kick and an abuse sponge.

If the writers can't come up with something better than Star Of The Show having to be mean to everyone else to be funny, I'll be buying the "Complete Series Of Psych" in video stores by next summer.

Sorry, but this one was a miss.