Psych

The Devil's in the Details…and in the Upstairs Bedroom

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Aug 28, 2009 on USA

• Psych is awesome as usual!

thefanof - a person with an eidetic memory/photographic memory, despite all of the controversy (which is more over the "perfect" photographic memory - it's entirely possible to have an eidetic memory, just not a perfect one) people do actually have eidetic memories. They normally remember things visually that we cannot normally remember and usually in greater detail (such as Shawn). There are studies of test subjects having extraordinary power in remembering via eidetic memories, and so we can allude that it most likely is real. But possessions? I'm sorry, but this episode kinda spoke for itself - how do we know that the "possessed" wasn't either taking drugs or was kind of loopy? Can you prove that someone is possessed via scientific study or some other credible source? Not really.

Oh, and I loved the actual episode. I kept laughing at poor Shawn's father. I know that feeling after I stopped playing video games for a while. It kinda sucks!
  • The worst season of Psych continues...

In this weeks episode Shawn and Gus are called to a suicide in a catholic school. They meet their old friend - the priest that taught them in the sunday school. There is a nice flashback where the priest, Shawn, Gus and Henry discuss innacuracies in Bible's story of Noah's Ark. In the present the priest thinks it was a demonic possession, Lassiter thinks murder and Shawn says... suicide.

There are plenty of situations for jokes like: Shawn and Gus talk to a possessed girl, Shawn make fun of Lassiter saying that if he disagrees than it further proves Shawn's theory and Gus is being over religious and accepting every supernatural explanation. I also liked how Shawn explained his title of "lead" investigator. Wait for the end and there is a confession scene which is also funny (although not overly)

What this episode doesn't have is anyhting psychic. I wonder if the writers even rember that Shawn is psychic. Well, they claim they do - in one scene Shawn says that he has to maintain his cover as a psychic - but it doesn't stop him not to do anything that deals with visions and stuff. I don't know, maybe it is a set up for further development but it sure isn't funny right now. It is almost like Shawn is becoming Monk - he sniffs around, he say he got it and we are fed with the explanation in flashbacks. What's with all the word games, throwing himself around, touching everything? That was Psych

The character interaction is pretty weak. Lassiter gets his normal part but Jules has almost nothing to say (anything longer than 4 word sentence). Fine, Shawn is with Abigail but she is not there. It seems that whole relationship thing took out 1/5 of the humor. But there is a new star introduced - Facebook. That's right, Shawn and Gus spend much time in going through facebook status updates and discussing about their info in there. The thing is that it isn't that funny, Facebook is ridiculous in many ways but the writers seem to only have discovered the main page. The other "fresh" thing is Henry getting hooked on playing xbox police game with a zapper gun. Really? Old guy discovers that he likes video games, how original is that?

The mystery itself is mediocre, impossible to solve by the viewer (well it actually is, in the very end) and not very exciting either. There is too little suspects, if it is not obvous immediately. This episode has its moments but overall has the humor bar hanged much lover than any other episode from the first 3 seasons. Seems like if 4th season ever gets released on dvd there will be little point in buying it.
  • Shawn's an atheist, Gus is a believer.

It was interesting to find out that Shawn's an atheist, though not surprising. I was interested to find out that Gus was a believer. It was a pretty good episode and I like that they were able to solve it in a rational/logical manner.
    I don't like when shows try to leave it vague or chose to make it a real "possession" and validate the belief in spirits/possessions.

Usually the Psych episodes aren't too deep but they did a good job of keeping you wondering if it was the priest or the BF, before revealing who it really was.

As usual nice witty repartee 'tween Gus & Shawn & I liked the guy who came in to play the priest (amusing especially since I last saw him in Reaper as the devil).
  • Great episode.

7.8
    Psych refuses to let the possibility of supernatural activity exist on its program; they always have to debunk it. It's what a lot of people like, but what I dislike about this show. Think about it, is the idea of someone being able to remember every piece of scenery he has ever seen in his life any more farfetched than a girl being possessed?

This was a good episode though, albeit aside from the anticlimatic ending. I don't even watch too many movies, but The Exorcist allusions were well-done and well-placed.

Definitely the best episode of the season so far. Let's hope it is only uphill from here.
  • Less than average...

When you have a 40 minute mystery that delves into a million different possibilities, you basically have a mess. What started as suicide, leads to love and betrayal, to demonic possession, to conspiracy, to prescription drugs and finally back to love and betrayal. In this hoopla of things, we clearly forget the fact that Shawn pretends to use his psychic powers to solve a case. We did miss all the zoom-into objects, things appearing through a filter and a blur, and the kkszzzhhhichh sound.

The usual Exorcist, or Emily Rose spoofs and the forced humor like the priest opening his exorcism with joke, or Frank playing with his Xbox were a touch overdone. This and the previous installments clearly show, Psych is veering in some arbitrary direction. Bring the old Psych back.
  • Psych is back to its roots with this one. Funny lines galore, crisp editing and a fast paced storyline. It's a throwback to the days of Season 2 in some ways, where characters simply had fun jumping from one procedural to the next.

Psych is back to its roots with this one. Funny lines galore, crisp editing and a fast paced storyline. It's a throwback to the hay days of Season 2 in some ways, where characters simply had fun jumping from one procedural to the next and the emotional stuff didn't seem to get in the way.

'The Devil's in the details...' is the latest in line of Psych's homages to popular culture and its the cult movie, The Exorcist which makes for fodder this time. Gus and a reluctant, skeptic Shawn investigate a case of demonic posession at a Catholic university for their former Sunday School teacher, Father Weley played by Ray Wise.

This episode wins for showcasing one of the best guest star performances of all time. Ray Wise who played the slick and charming Devil himself in(the brilliant at first and then got really weird)'Reaper', plays a man of God with the same panache and smoothness. His complete conviction in his beliefs is wonderfully balanced by his easy nature. A moment in case, where he jokes about how he likes to start every exorcism with a bit of humour.

The bit with Henry (Corbin Bernson) getting obsessed with Shawn's Xbox was funny enough. The banter between Shawn and Gus was in full form with a full-fledged cat fight thrown into the mix. Since I haven't seen The Exorcist, I am not sure how good or bad it was in spoofing it. But independent of that,the whole gig was very cleverly done, complete with the whole 'tounges' and 'spiderwalking' cliches of posession.