Psych

Woman Seeking Dead Husband – Smokers Okay, No Pets

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 28, 2006 on USA

• Woman Seeking Dead Husband - Smokers Okay, No Pets

The Good:

-The reappearance of the Desk Sergeant, who believes heavily in the spirit world.

-The conversation between Shawn and Gus about Gus's affection for Meredith Baxter Birney, and the one following it about Gus's attraction to dangerous women. Shawn delivers examples that include Lizzie Borden and Kathy Bates.

-Shawn is asked to prove he's a Psychic by guessing the number of fingers one of the robbers holds behind his back, so Gus helps out his friend. It is a nice moment for them, since Shawn rarely has to rely on Gus.

The Bad:

-Other than her interest in Gus, Raylene is not very interesting as far as villains go.
  • If Psych manages to tone down the Disney Channel sense of humor and exploit its strengths it has a chance to become memorable.

Psych is a weird show. It has one of the most unique and interesting premises out there, at least for a murder mystery, but it makes some aesthetic choices that boggle the mind.

For instance, every time James Roday pulls one of his spastic fake visions I can't help to cringe. It's not just that the show would have been more interesting if the title character seemed to make an effort to stay within the plausible, it's that they are not funny at all. A premise will only take you so far. Psych could end up being the sad, perfect example of that. Every episode manages to keep me at least mildly entertained, but a murder mystery lives on its characters, and this show has one quickly going to waste. The concept of a fake psychic, when current TV looks like a convention of paranormal pros, is great. The concept of a strict father educating his son into becoming a brilliant bum is wonderful. Why, then, aren't we seeing a more focused take on those elements? At the beginning of every episode, and this one is no exception, we are treated to a flashback detailing some of Shawn's training. It's turning out to be the best part of the whole hour. For the rest of this ep, we see nothing that we haven't seen before, and we're left wondering why nobody seems to question Shawn's powers despite his lame, half baked plots to manifest them. There's no way anybody can buy a femme fatale falling for a psychic in a bathrobe outright asking questions instead of doing his thing.

I'm convinced Psych would not lose its target audience by turning the stupid Inspector Gadget humor down a notch. In fact, it'd be funnier for both the show's regulars and those of us still watching, but feeling somewhat disappointed.
  • this was another good ep

in this ep shawn and his assitant must figure out what happen to a man and 2 others that robed the bank. and what happen to the money that the husband was supposed to hide. in this ep the 2 others that were charged get out of jail for serving there time . and the police think the wife is indagerd for the think the crimanals think she knows were the money is. so shawn and his assitant think there going to get in on this so they go see the wife and start to help her . this ep was really good becasuse it turns out to be the opisite what most people are thinking about this ep.
  • OH shawn...a bath robe....really? so quirky!

I love this episode. I'm rewatching the first season and completely forgot this episode existed. While it's slightly predictable its Shawn's random psychic acts that make this episode so great. Not only does he wear a bathrobe and channel an apparent dead man-who's not really dead-but he takes his abilities to a higher level by guessing how many fingers a guy is holding up several times by reflection. This was one of the episodes that got me interested in this show to the point that I knew I wanted to keep watching it. I can't wait to rewatch the rest of the first season for more awesome episodes.
  • Shawn and Gus get a case involving a dead bank robber, his two partners just out of prison, and the wife, Rayleen of the dead robber who is afraid for her life. Rayleen hires the boys and Shawn goes a little crazy with the redecorating the office.

The title of the episode sort of gave away too much information but sometimes the writers are a little too clever for their own good. I felt Shawn finally got a little carried away with himself just knocking down the wall in their leased building. Sometimes you really don't know why Gus puts up with everything Shawn does. I guess it furthers the plot. I love how Shawn stated that he was pretty sure that it wasn't a load bearing wall?

Anyways, you are a little suspicious of the Rayleen in the beginning. She hires the boys to find the money because she is afraid of the two other robbers? Gus really likes her so I think that is suppose to take the suspicion off of her. It was a surprise when her husband David turned up alive. I guess that must have been the cousins body Roger in the car as we never do see him. The seance bit was fun and sometimes I do think Gus gets a little overly cautious, but I think that he has to be to offset Shawn's craziness. It's fun to watch him when he is trying to go along but obviously disapproves.

The two men who went to prison turned out to be wimps and were more afraid of the wife than the law. The robber in front of the TV was hilarious and his reaction to Shawn "really being" a psychic was precious. That whole sequence with the two robbers sort of solidified the truth for anyone watching. The question though was once Gus shot off his mouth about David still being alive to Rayleen how was the climax going to come together. In typical Psych style the police show up and arrest everyone Shawn wants them too. You also have to wonder if Shawn and Gus actually find the money and get the reward for that as well. The bit with the dog house was great between Shawn and his father. I especially liked it when Shawn gave his neighbors dog to his dad. I wonder how long it took his father to figure that out? Thanks for reading...
  • This is another great episode. So funny!

I thought this episode was fantastic. From finding out that Gus has a thing for "women in distress" to Shawn's ridiculous seance, this episode kept me guessing and had me constantly laughing.

A really funny part was when the robber was testing Shawn's "ability" by standing in front of the TV with his fingers behind his back. It was bad enough when he did that the first time but to ask Shawn again was just ridiculously funny. And then when he stood right in front of Gus and asked Shawn to guess how many fingers he had up. LOL It was soooo funny.

I liked how Juliet questioned Lassiter about who sanctioned their stakeout. Even though he's made it clear that he doesn't think she's his equal, she won't back down. I think it's great. I never suspected that Raylene (?) was the mastermind behind the whole thing. I thought that the ending was fantastic. I've seen all of Psych season one and two, but this was one of the few episodes that completely had me guessing. I never suspected the wife. Very good episode!!
  • A lot of twists in this episode!

This episode really was cleverly plotted. In most episodes I know almost right away who the criminal is, but in this episode I didn't see it coming at all. It was for me a real shock when I found out, and that doesn't happen very often. I also really liked the fact how Shawn can convince all these people that he is actually a psychic. And the part were he had to guess how much fingers a man was holding up was just down right hilarious. I laughed really hard when I saw it for the first time, and now when I re-watch this episode it still makes me laugh.
  • doing what he does best

I thought it was hilarious when Shawn and Gus were trying out Chief Vicks maternity items like the chair. It was so funny. I have no idea how Shawn gets people to believe him when he is supposed to be holding a seance and talking to the dead because clearly he has psyched them all.
  • Wilcroft the friendly ghost?

Rayleen a widow is talking wiht the police when Shawn overhears something about a robbery. SO he goes to investigate and finds out that Rayleen is scared about her husband's partners are coming after her after they are released from jail. They had been in there because of a robbery gone bad. unfortunately Rayleen's husband had a little mishap. Supposedly burning in a or the car crash that made his car explode. When Rayleen finds out about Shawn being a psychic she asks him to help her locate the money to make sure that if they, her husband's partners, are bound to come back to ask her where the money is. She asks them to perform a seance and talk to her dead husband... Shawn and Gus, who is attracted by Rayleen, begin looking gfor the money only to dicover somrthing very interesting, Rayleen's husband is alive and having lost the money is looking for it without success. But what Shawn and Gus find out is even more twisted than that, Rayleen was the mastermind of their little Robbing operation,
  • Amazing!

Wow I still can't get over this episode. Now if anyone else has read my other reviews and actually guessed what was happening you must think I'm the most stupid person alive. But yet again I was fooled. I really didn't see this one coming! The wife as the leader behind the hole robbery was a complete surprise to me. This episode had the perfect mixture of comedy and mystery in it. I thought it was hilarious when the guy that just got out of jail was testing Shawn to see if he was a real psychic. I loved this episode, but for some reason I don't see it as deserving of a perfect rating.
  • All Psych episodes are great, and this one is no different!

I thought this episode of Psych was particularly great, with lots of twists and turns... although one thing... Who broke the window? I don't think they ever explained that.

I love Shawn's fake seance (i have no clue how you spell that). Also when the theives find them and they're talking they're way out of it, and the whole guess the number thing was hilarious. Plus who would've thought that the husband was really alive, and the widow was a crazy bad guy???

I turn to Psych on Friday nights to make me laugh before I turn in, and so far, I've never been disappointed!
  • Ok to start off the episode they were in a Flashback were Shaun (I am pretty sure thats his name) helped his dad with a case when he was little. This is such a great episode.

Ok after the Flashback, it shows Shawn and his friend in the Police Office, Shaun says something funny about getting the Pregant chair seat because it\'s so confortable. Well after that they get kicked out the office and say they want to be assigned to help the Old Banck Robber Case.... where. The Chief said no. But does that stop them no... They just go and but it with Shaun pretending to be psychic around her like always thisa gets the into more trouble.

As things continue they find her dead husband hiding out at his cousins house.. And he doesn\'t remeber where he burried themoney oh no what will they ever due. Short Story Shaun aends up telling the wife on accident...well at loeast his friend does it on purpose. That her husband is alive. They go and follow his accomplices who just recently got out of jail and they found out.. that it wasn\'t there idea.

It was the Wife\'s shes a real controlling of them all and forced them to rob the bank. Well once they realize that they head to wear they think she is.... She is the mausoleum... oh my wear does she think the money is... entombed where her husband is supposed to be. Well the cops come in arrest her and her husband... While Shawn gives the credit to the Inspector who keeps trying to convince himself that Shawn isn\'t psychic.

I can\'t wait till the next episode :)
  • Shawn has to solve the rest of a "solved" case, and find the missing millions.

um pretty interesting!

i didn't expect the lady, ya know who came to Shawn and Gus asking for their help, to be evil! ah!

and the robber guys? they were like "yea! she's evil! she'd do anything to get the money!" i was like wow! haha. and they actually believed the Shawn was psychic. haha. kinda like the police. When are they gonna figure it out?

this episode was pretty interesting. probly my fave one yet besides the pilot, just cuz there was more stuff i didn't expect. it was cute how Gus was almost falling for the girl. i wanted them to like go out on a date or something.

it's cool how shawn is always one step ahead of the police. and i liked how he ran into that lady again, the one who believed in the spirits and thought her dead grandmother was talking to Shawn and stuff? that was cool.

and how the guy turned out to be alive? cool beans!

well that's pretty much it. it was a great episode.
  • Like all the ones before: great!

This was another great episode in this new series. It was funny like all the others, and it was a good mystery. I think it also brought O'Hara and Shawn closer, there were quite afew moments when I thought there was a bit of flirting going on between the two. However, that isn't why I watch the show, it's for the comedy; that, like always, was excelent. I loved how Shawn played with Lasseter at the end, it was so funny. I also loved the way that he snuck into the car of the detectives without them noticing. Another great episode, and I'm sure many like it will follow.
  • This episode was hilarious. Shawn is soo funny, sure this isn't a good detective show, but it's damn funny.

My favorite scene would have to be the beginning when Shawn and Gus were in the office trying out the chair. It didn't seem all high tech to me, it looked like random pillows. But the way it was pulled off, I saw it from a mile away but it was still funny. Shawn is there chillin' in the chair, drinking a smoothie. And he tells Gus to try it out, so he sits down in it and grabs the drink, and then the captain walks into her office. She's like what the hell is going on here. And Shawn blames it on Gus. This show is awesome.
  • Fun, Adventurous, Quirky

I am just really really enjoying this show. It's so adventurous with it's plotlines. In addition, the character relationships are really fun and different. I love the antagonism between Lassiter and Shawn. FUNNAY!!!

I absolutely adore the fact that the "Psych" team is constantly one step ahead of Lassiter, and they still have to sneak around to get anything accomplished.
    I thought it was really fun of the writers to make the 'robbers' scared of Raylene, different little twist there.

This show is often quirky and quick witted. It's fun to watch Shawn continually rile Lassiter up. I can't wait till next week!!!
  • Shawn and Gus search for a dead man\'s treasure in protection of a venomous dame in distress.

In another installment of this rather entertaining show, Shawn Spencer and Burton Guster force themselves onto another police case. This time, it is a story of a bank robbery, two recently released robbers, a seemingly dead wheel-man, and a murderous (yet charming) widow.

The widow of a bank robber whose partners were recently released from prison is brought into the police station, or comes into the police station, to notify (or be notified of) the looming danger posed to her by her late-husband\'s partners in crime. The danger of course has an implication. The husband\'s part in the robbery was to \'bury\' the money, only he dies before he could let his partners know where the money was lain to rest. The body is never recovered. The woman claims that her husband\'s partners will now try to forcefully extract the location of the buried money from her.

Upon hearing this story, Shawn and an infatuated Gus proceed to do their thing, discovering that the dead husband was alive and well hiding in a shack trying to recover the money he so successfully hid that he, himself, could no longer recover it. It all eventually unravels and the crafty mastermind of the whole operation is found to be the distressed woman.

This episode maintains the same style as the previous one, the following elements persist:

- Flashback to Shawn\'s childhood
    - Gus\' reservations about everything result in whining
    - Detective O\'Hara and Lassiter try to stay away from the Psychic and his side-kick
    - Shawn gets on Lassiter\'s nerves
    - Shawn fools people to do odd things with his \'skill\'
    - Gus smells thing with his \'Super-Smeller\'
    - There is lovin\' in the making
    - The \'bad-guy\' is a woman

A decent episode.

9/10 for the funny dialogues - 0.5/10 for whining

8.5/10
  • Shawn must be a cat, because I swear he's got nine lives.

This episode is another classic. Shawn must contact a dead man who isn't really dead to find the location of the money he hid but can't remember where. In order to do this, he has a seance, which was absolutely priceless - the frilly bathrobe, the ghost-like voice ("I'm hearing a voice... It's telling me to go outside..."), the "breaking of the circle". I was laughing out loud the entire time.

I thought it was great that they added not only one but two twists. Not only was the dead bank robber not really dead, but his wife - who was supposed to be under police protection - was the mastermind behind the whole thing. I'll tell you, I can usually figure out what's going on, but I did not see that coming. I like it when they throw in twists. Keeps me on my toes.

Many shipper moments between Juliet and Shawn, which are always appreciated by this viewer. I particularly liked when Shawn and Gus were trying to get Juliet to show them the file and she wouldn't let them. Gus goes, "I liked the other girl better," and Shawn says, "Not me." Yes, yes.

Question. How long has the chief been pregnant? How did I notice this?

I'm glad that they had that argument between Lassiter and O'Hara in the car during the stakeout, with both of them quoting rules from the police code. It makes it seem like Lassiter does actually have some idea of what he's doing, which you don't always see in the show.

Overall, another fantastic episode, though I was disappointed with the lack of Corbin Bernsen.