Punky Brewster Forums

NBC (ended 1986)

Punky Brewster is the best educational program for children of the late 20th

80stvfan

[1]Mar 3, 2008
    • level: 7

I think that Punky Brewster is the best educational childrens program of the late 20th century, maybe of all time. I know that sounds extreme, but I think that it is true. This show was perfect for all ages, even adults. I feel that this program fit a niche. It was less simplistic then Sesame Street, which was good, as even children like to feel like their adults. What are your thoughts about this show?

Please share your thoughts and constructive critisims. If you disagree with the statement please share you view point in a polite manner.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ecgirl08

[2]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 57

I definitely agree with you in that it was a highly educational program, bringing up a lot of topics in a way that make sense to children. I remember Cherie Johnson saying in an interview once that she thinks "Punky" is one of the very few shows that has a meaning and a valuable message, and it taught kids how to make a difference in their own homes and communities. She's absolutely right. The show touched on a lot of different issues, like CPR, saying no to drugs, tolerance of differences, adoption, foster homes, obesity, dealing with death, bankruptcy, shoplifting, sleeping pill addictions......you name it, they talked about it. I could go on forever.

The show is undeniably corny--I'll give it that. Sometimes it gets to a point where it's a little too much, but the positive message is ALWAYS there, and it's very important. They presented things in a way where kids could see it and really put it into effect themselves in a constructive, educational way. I give the series a lot of credit for that.

Edited on 03/05/2008 12:25pm

80stvfan

[3]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 7
    Thanks for your input ecgirl08. It is greatly appreciated.
    Edited on 03/05/2008 8:27pm