Punky Brewster Forums

NBC (ended 1986)

Season Four is Awesome, I got it yesterday!

80stvfan

[1]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 7

I went to Best Buy yesterday, and low and behold, they had season four already out on the selves, there were two left, and I got one of them I didn't care wether they got in trouble for putting it out early. I said no one is getting in the way of my buying this box set. I watched discs 1 & 2 last night, unfortunately I have to work tonight, but I'll be back watching as soon as I get home!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

87Okeechobee

[2]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 4

I got mine yesterday. After looking forward to it for so long, I'd managed to forget that yesterday was THE day (night shift work will do that to you). I only remembered when I went to look up some info on the "The Price is Right", whose own DVD set I mistakenly thought was also coming out yesterday (it's actually on March 25). That's when it hit me that Punky 4 was being released, and I scooted over to Best Buy and got their last copy. I was relieved that they had it in stock...it was a fiasco for me when season 3 came out, as nobody had it in stock that afternoon, and I took a very unwanted mid-afternoon tour of Miami's expressway system before I found a copy. I watched disc 4 and part of disc 2, looking for my favorite episodes first, with "Wimped Out" getting first honors. I watched until I found out that most of Miami was in a blackout (my own lights flickered at 1:09pm), when I switched to the news coverage, then went to bed, followed by a night at work. I'll finish it today, as season 4 has some of my absolute favorite episodes.

Two thoughts on the set...first I was surprised that Shout! changed the menu screen picture this time, especially since part of the problem was that there were so few publicity stills available from the syndicated years, and that made up the bulk of the pictures on the box and the menu screen shot. Shout! found a quick way around it by using a nice screenshot of Punky from "Christmas Hero".

They also made my whole year by preserving the clas-sic Columbia Pictures Television "Torch Lady" logo at the end of the episodes, tacking on the NBC-Universal logo to the end of that. There seems to be 2 versions on the set. All of the Disc 4 episodes use the 1982-1987 version, with the byline "A Unit of the Coca-Cola Company" underneath, while several Disc 2 episodes have the 1987-1991 version. I'm a fan of production company logos, so this put another smile on my face.

They did a great job with this set. While it's unfortunate that they couldn't get Soleil Moon Frye herself for an interview, just remember that she's young, we're young (age-wise and otherwise), and Punky has to come out on Blu-Ray, along with whatever format that will inevitably replace *that*, some day. So remember to use your Punky Power, and stay optimistic.

80stvfan

[3]Feb 27, 2008
    I like the wimped out episode when Punky does actually fall out of the tree after Cheri says she'll catch her, and then soleil lets go, and a second later you hear a crash, and Soleil saying "YOU MISSED"!

ecgirl08

[4]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 57
    LOL, yeah, I love that episode too. Best Buy seems to be the only place that stocks Punky Brewster; I too, had a hard time getting Season 3, and it seems that Best Buy is the only place big enough to have it. I haven't been able to get out there yet, but I am really hoping that I can sometime this week. I love the episode with Mark-Paul Gosselaar, among many others

80stvfan

[5]Feb 27, 2008

Violets are blue

Roses are red

With a friend like me

You'll wind up dead

HA HA HA HA !!!!!

ecgirl08

[6]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 57
    Oh gosh, that's a great episode. "She's covering for me--Cherie, the Bone Crusher!"