Punky Brewster Forums

NBC (ended 1986)

sutle little things in certian episodes

80stvfan

[1]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 7

I happen to notice a few things in certian episodes that struck me as odd.  The first two things I happen to notice are from the " My Fair Punky" episode.  When Punky,Margaux, and Cheri are sitting in Punky's room, and Punky is trying to ask Margaux for lessons on how to act proper amongst snobby stuck up people. Margaux is putting up a fuss about Punky being asked to Robert Whitney's birthday party and not her.  She says "is there no justice in this world."  Cheri starts to giggle.  She tries to hide this from Margaux's view, but she simply can't.  She then starts to laugh whole heartedly, and Margaux cracks a smile, something I don't think she was suppose to do.  The other thing is when Ami is teaching Cheri and Soleil how to have good posture and balance by giving them each two glasses of ice tea and tells them to walk without spilling a single drop. Then she tells them to sit like proper ladies, and they do so.  However, much to Ami horror, she has taught them to sit with their legs and arms crossed.  Cheri and Soleil try to accomplish this while holding the ice tea, and end up spilling it all over Ami.  If you look at how Cheri and Soleil do this, you will see that they do it differently.  Cheri takes a more natural approach, but Soleil doesn't.  Soleil kind of throw the glass in her left hand at Ami. Her hand is in more of a throwing position, and is only about half crossed with her right hand.

The third thing that I noticed is in the Remember when episode.  Henry and Betty come in to the apartment having just spun out and put Henry's car in the ditch.  Betty states that Henry's car is a 1955 Desoto.  Then the phone rings and Punky answers it.  She then tells the person on the other end that she will tell her. She hangs up and walks over to Margaux and says "that was your chauffer, he totaled your limo.  Margaux says "What"! To which Punky's reply is "he spun out on a patch of ice and crashed in to a old Desoto."  Henry says "what", and Punky says "don't worry it was a 59'.  Now in a previous episode from season 2 the perils of Punky part 1 you see Henry's car for a brief second.  Now I'm a car buff and I go on Old Car Trader often.  I was looking at Desotos, and noticed that a 1955 and 1959 Desoto look nothing alike.  I then watched both above mentioned episodes, and realised that Henry's car is actually a 1959 Desoto! So there was another sort of mix up that I noticed.  Anyone know of any others?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BlingBlingLOL

[2]Oct 7, 2006
    • level: 8
    i dont but wow... you notice a lot of little things!!!!

pepsi043

[3]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 1

i noticed that in the opening credits there is a clip from the episode when punky and henry go grocery shopping and punky thinks henry 're-abaondonds' her in the store...

on the way into the store (the clip that is in the opening credits really quickly) you can see glass windows that are tinted a bit... and in the reflection of the windows you can see PALM TREES!... last time i chcked there werent any palm trees in chicago. Sunny California

80stvfan

[4]Sep 16, 2007

Hey, thanks for the info on yet another editorialhiccup. I'm suprised that the editors didn't catch this mistake. This doesn't make sense for the premise of the location of where Punky Brewster took place, but would make sense as to where it was filmed. It was filmed in California in either Los Angeles or in hollywood, I found out where it was fimed exactly, but I've forgotten where the city was located.

87Okeechobee

[5]Nov 16, 2007
    • level: 4

Punky's first 2 seasonswere taped at Metromedia Square in Hollywood, while the two syndicated seasons were taped at NBC Studios in Burbank. If what I've read is correct, it would be ironic that Punky's NBCseasons weren't recorded at the network's studios, but it's twosyndicated seasons were.

87Okeechobee

[6]Nov 16, 2007

A couple of years ago, after a viewing of "Lost and Found" piqued my curiosity, I did some online research, since that episode clearly was taped at a real supermarket. I discovered that Better Independent Grocers (BIG), the name seen on the store's interior signage, is a real SoCal based supermarket consortium. It may still be in existence.

At the time I found nothing on the Daisy Farms supermarket itself, but I Googled it again just now and found a newsletter from a community association in Newbury Park, CA, which mentions the existence of a Daisy Farms supermarket on Old Conejo Road. It has since gone out of business, unable to compete with Ralph's and Albertsons. That may be the supermarket "Lost and Found" was taped at.

I'm not sure if the original pilot episode's extended opening credits, which showed Punky making money by carrying groceries, was taped at the same market. Almost every car in that parking lot had Illinois tags.

87Okeechobee

[7]Nov 16, 2007

How about in "Unhooking Henry", when Punky is telling Henry a bedtime story, and she gets carried away with it, and Soleil got ahead of herself in the script, then recovered beautifully.

PUNKY: "...and they unzipped their bodies, and out came, UGLY, MILLIONS OF ICKY, UGLY SNAKES...!!!"

I'm glad theykept the originaltake with the extra 'ugly' in it. I bet something would've been lost had they reshot it.

And Punky is not quite the person to tell you a bedtime story, is it? She'd start telling you about the LittleEngine That Could, and it would turn intoThe Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 ina heartbeat! Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing that one...

80stvfan

[8]Oct 14, 2008
    I hadn't noticed this, but thanks for the information on the slight script mishap by Soleil.