Quantum Leap

Camikazi Kid

Aired Friday 12:00 AM May 10, 1989 on NBC

• Sam leaps into a goofy high school teenager in 1961, where he must save the boy's kind older sister from the future she will face with an abusive, bullying alcoholic she is due to marry in three days time. A lovely episode...

This review contains spoilers.

The previous episode,"The Color of Truth", is undoubtedly the classic episode of 'Quantum Leap's first season, due to it's superb racial commentary on the Deep South in the 1950s, but in my book, "Camikazi Kid" comes a very close second. It is a wonderful episode, which really whisks you away from yourself for fifty minutes, taking you back to a more innocent age, and introducing you to characters that you really want to see what happens to them.

Sam feels doubly obliged to help Cam's older sister Cheryl, after his (Sam)'s own sister led a miserable life at the hands of an abusive, alcoholic husband.

It is the love between brother and sister that really makes this episode. Although I am an only child myself (cue years of psychotherapy(!)), Cheryl is perfectly played by Romy Walthall, and reminds me so much of a really good friend I had, with her kindness and charm, and really pulled me in to the story.

The episode's "kiss with history", where Sam seems to encounter a very young Michael Jackson in a restroom, doesn't really to fit with the show's feel and timeframe (see goofs listed under this episode), but it is an interesting sequence none-the-less.

Things lead up to the climatic race, where, at Al's recommendation, Sam wins the race by rigging his car with nitrous oxide. It is an exciting peak to the story (containing several shots that would be used on the opening credits for much of the rest of the show's run), and proves how dangerous Cheryl's husband-to-be can be, persuading her to call off the wedding.

All-in-all, this is a delightful episode of 'Quantum Leap', and one that I never tire of watching. It kind of sums up what QL is all about, and how magnificent it can be when it fires on all thrusters. I give "Camikazi Kid" a top scoring 10 out of 10.