Quantum Leap

Genesis (2)

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Mar 26, 1989 on NBC

• Still stuck in 1956, Sam is daunted by the fact that he is expected to pilot the experimental X-2 jet any day now. Later, he leaps, but instead of returning home, finds himself as a baseball player in 1968. A good conclusion to this Pilot story...

(Review continued from Part 1)

As this very decent Pilot continues, Sam is faced with the prospect of having to fly an experimental jet – despite the fact that he doesn't know how to fly. This leads to a great sequence as Al "ghost pilot"s him.

For a TV budget, I find the setting of 1950s era to be quite good (grainy stock footage, as noted in my review for Part 1, aside); I also like how, after the initial opening sequence of Part 1, we see very little of the 'present day' in the series, bar a couple of future exceptions. (By the way, 'present day' loosely seems to have been about 1995, although it was never over-definite).

After the completion of this first "mission", Sam leaps into a Texas baseball player in 1968. After the main meat of the story, this leap seems a bit limp and tacked on; it feels very much like a "…and look what sorts of other adventures Sam might have, folks", and only really serves as an opportunity to address some of the technical elements of the series.
    It does, however, allow for the wonderful scene where Sam phones home, to hear his late father's voice - although I felt that the dubbing of the actor playing Young Sam's voice with Bakula's own, to be too noticeable and distracting from the scene. (By the way, the phoning-deceased-partent-while-travelling-though-time idea wasn't unique to 'Quantum Leap', the character Jetto does similar in the episode 'Summer of '45' of the criminally short-lived 'The Highwayman', which was produced a year before this Pilot; I think there are also a couple of other smilar examples in TV history).

The phone call sequence saves the limp and rather pointless 'baseball leap' from marring the Pilot too badly; and as a result, this remains a very respectable and watchable Pilot to the great series. Like Part 1, I give this half 9 out of 10.
  • Conclusion of Pilot

This episode was the conclusion of the pilot episode. I thought that it was as good as the first episode. Sam Beckett even got to talk to his dead father and I thought that that scene was very nice. The leap out sequence was good and I can't wait to see the next episode. Overall- Good Conclusion