Quantum Leap

NBC (ended 1993)

Gislef

Quantum Leap Fan Reviews (86)

• Season 2 - Jimmy

I loved this show but the "Jimmy" episode was the best show I have ever seen. Having relatives with Downs Syndrome made it touch my heart. The writers did a great job showing the difficulties the downs people have with other people looking down on them. My heart felt great joy to see Jimmy win in the end. The moral in this episode was one that more people need to see or even be reminded of. Blessings to all!

• Bring back a made for TV Movie

I thought the show was brilliant! I liked how each episode was of a different genre such as some were comedy, while others were dramas, mellowdramas, and even nostalgia. It was shame it ended so abruptly and with an open ended last episode as well. The last known produced episode Mirror Image revealed that Sam was in fact leaping of his own free will and that no other existence was moving him around in time as we are all led to believe by the show's opening narration. However, an explanation was never given to how it was done in that final episode, but only pointing out that everything that Sam had hoped about the project was done as a result of his random leaps.

For five seasons we all witnessed Sam being leaped around by an unknown force, as his own invention only worked for him in the initial first leap upon stepping on to the Quantum Leap Accelerator. The rest was uncontrolled at a point in time after Sam created the right that needed to be placed in someone's life where he would leap again with no one at the project's future headquarters nor Sam himself activating his time machine to do so. As a result of all of this we viewers witnessed, a better explanation to how Sam was leaping himself around in time is needed. Accomplishing what you set out to do and still have more yet to go is not an answer! Perhaps a reunion type of movie would do that!
  • Jump Sam back into the programming and tell Al to meet us there!

Please put Quantum Leap back You!
  • One Word

REBOOT!
  • "I walk beside you but you may not see - Citizen Soldiers by 3 Doors Down

A truly well done show with a perfect blend of humorous and serious themes. Almost every important controversial subject is themed and very well portrayed from Teen pregnancy and those with mental disabilities to Civil Rights and Homosexuality. All told from the point of view of a man who sees beauty in all types of people. Quite a powerful and entertaining show.

It only pains me that the fifth and final season got off track and gimmicky with celebrity leaps and the evil leaper trilogy. Though I do find the evil leapers enjoyable more so than the Abigail story by far.
  • A drama that felt like a sci-fi, yes really.

This show started off every episode as a sci-fi and ended up as one again but in the middle it was a big fat soap opera. Nothing wrong with that cause it was well made and the fact that Scott Bakula's character would change "bodies" every episode was interesting. I Remember that sometimes all i ever watched was the beginning to see who he was this time on the episode.

Some episodes were a hit and others were a miss, overall a good experience. It had some very good social themes that dealt with racism, women rights, handicapped people, etc.

Worth the watch if you have the time.
  • Grew up watching

GREAT SHOW AND IDEA !! Original.
  • Love this show...

This was my all time favorite show back when it was on the air and I was delighted when G4 started doing reruns. I can honestly say I found something to like about every episode, even if I liked some episodes more than others. Dean Stockwell did a wonderful job as Al...And what's not to love about Scott Bakula? The man is fabulous.
  • Classic feel-good sci fi

procedural drama that is comfortable but not predictable. dean stockwell's finest role and who doesn't love scott bakula.
  • Sci-Fi with Depth

I first watched Quantum Leap back in about 1995 when I was aged about eleven or twelve and it remains one of my all time favourite TV shows to this day. Following a time travel experiment that went wrong each episode sees Sam (Scott Bakula) 'leaping' into the body of someone from the past in order to change something that went wrong in their lives. Until the final episode we never find out what is causing this to happen but to be honest Quantum Leap was never really about the science fiction.

What made Quantum Leap special was the way in which it dealt with real life issues such as racism, war or relationships in such an interesting and honest way. I have since watched this show from start to finish again both on TV and later on DVD and it is as enjoyable now as it was 15 years ago.
  • Quantum Leap: The 1990's Time Travel Show.

Quantum Leap: A fantastic 90's show. What a great spin on time travel. Its a great look at the U.S of the last 50 years. Superb stories & acting. Each episode is like a mini movie. Some of my favorite episodes include such historical events like the Kennedy Assasination & the Viet Nam War. It had a great blend of drama, comedy, & adventure. Scott Bakula not only shows his acting chops but his musical ones as well on certain episodes. You should run out & by this show on DVD. A highlight of 1990's television with out a doubt!
  • Another leap, another life to live.

When an experimental laboratory experience goes wrong, Dr. Sam Beckett gets lost in time and the only way to get back to his own time is to incarnate a person in a determined time and help correct mistakes that other people might commit, and that will change the time strip forever, preventing Sam from getting back home. With the help of his friend Al (as an holographic image, which Sam is the only one able to see), the Artificial Intelligence Program nicknamed "Ziggy" and the head programer Gushie, Sam will try everything to correct these mistakes, although some of these mistakes seem impossible to correct at first sight. The cast was awesome and the fresh humour that is given through jokes between Sam and Al, while these two interact is one of the main reasons why this series is seen as one of the best in the sci-fi genre. The fact that the episodes all give us a different story about each person who Sam's incarnate, throughout the show, also gives the show a first-person perspective of different lives, different environments, and different life-styles, is also a valid reaosn why this series is so good.

Although the series ended without the audience knowing what exactly happened to Sam (It is said that he never returned home, but the reason why that happened is never given or stated), it gives us a message, which is the base of the entire show: "A person can change the world, one person at the time."

A wonderful show!
  • Scott Bakula - lost in time

Scott Bakula is wonderful here, in fact he is doing his best TV work but was good in "Chuck" too. He is comedic, emotional, masculine, strong, smart, resourceful and able to rely on his brains and brawns to get through tough situations. Bakula was trained as a singer and in the show he even managed to belt out a few tunes. The situations Sam finds himself in week after week were sometimes funny, sometimes moving, and always brilliant. Dean Stockwell is perfect as Sam's sidekick, Al Calavicci, who acts as his guide. Stockwell is energetic enough to make his presence enjoyable to watch.
  • .

i absoloutley love this show, it was brilliant in its time. it all embarks around professer same beckett, as his research project is running out of money he steps into the quantum leap chamber to see if ti works, when it does he awakes at a different time and place, unsure of who he is or what he has to do, a person who helps him form his own time al is a hologram and tells him waht to do to be able to keep on leaping, most of the episodes were brilliant but a few were very poor, they also didnt end it very well, which is y i only gace it a 8.5 out of 10. it is a must watch.
  • Very decent.

This was a good show when it was on. I have to say that it was a well made show and had some original plots and storylines. The acting was good and I liked the premise of the show. I haven't watched every episode, but from what I have seen, they have been good. My favorite parts and elements of the show was the time traveling and the assignments that Sam would get. It was interesting to see his portrayal of other characters and the problems he had to prevent from happening. I thought that was very entertaining.
    Overall, it was great. Thank you.
  • Good Show!

Quantum Leap was a good show. I remember watching it, and have seen it a lot lately in reruns and it's still a decent show. It was unbelievable and often cheesy but always in a feel-good, entertaining kind of way. A good way to spend an hour of my prime time TV viewing as a little kid. I loved Dean Stockwell as the character Al, he was really funny. Scott Bakula was also very good but I like him better in the new Star Trek series (when it was still on) and was glad to see he got another TV series even though it took years after Quantum Leap (unless he had another show I never knew about). A good show for the whole family that had some really entertaining episodes with some neat chapters of history.
  • Dr. Sam Beckett is inadvertenly sent back in to time to correct mistakes in history. Stuck in the past hoping one day to get back home to his life

This was an awesome show which was first aired at the end of the 80's. It's been a long time since I had seen this but I always remember it from when I was a kid as it was repeated so much on TV. I just bought this and have been slowly going through them all, it brings back memories. It was good to see Scott Bakula (Dr. Sam Beckett) staring in the latest Star Trek Series (Enterprise) but unfortunately we all know where that ended up but not due to bad acting anyway.

Sam is a Genius and was said to be the next Einstein, he created a project and he theorised that it was possible to go back in time but only within that person's lifetime. In his ignorance he started the human experiment to early which took him back in time, he essentially replaced someone else in history but everyone around him was unaware. It comes to light that his job is to correct things that went wrong in the original time line, once he has completed his task he is 'leaped' in to another body to do the same thing; every time he leaps he expects to get back out but to no avail.

He is guided by his friend Al who can appears as a Hologram but only to same, Al attempts to fill in some gaps to Sam's memory (Sam had suffered some memory loss)and tries to guide him in the right direction.
  • Excellent show that was cancelled before its time. I have loved this show since I discovered it in reruns about 8-9 years ago. Please bring it back!

Quantum Leap has been one of my favorite shows since I first saw it 8-9 years ago on SciFi when they were syndicating it. I caught the last few episodes of Season 5 and I was hooked. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were excellent as Dr. Sam Beckett and Rear Admiral Al Calavicci. The storylines were great and as someone who loves History and is in the process of obtaining my history degree from college, each episode was like a mini history lesson. Several episodes would be great to show in a classroom to show how American society lived as well as some of the important issues that have impacted our society as a whole. I hope that the movie that has been considered for the past several years is looked into. The way in which the show originally ended did not do it justice.
  • Though the series ended before i got a chance to love it, my mother showed me old episodes, and was thusly able to find enjoyment in the show

5.4
    Though the series ended before i got a chance to love it, my mother showed me old episodes, and was thusly able to find enjoyment in the show. It's about this guy who goes back in time and takes the place of historical figures to make sure histor goes as it is supposed to go. Accompanying the main character is a guy who no one can see, except for him. This man wields a silly gizmo that makes beeping moises when you push its buttons. It is his job the guide the main character in doing the right things. It's awesome
  • Hands down, the best show about time travel, ever.

Quantum Leap was without a doubt, the best time travel show, ever. A perfect story line, and a great cast made this show come together to provide excitement show after show, and kept you on the edge of your seat between episodes and season wondering what would happen next.

Earlier in the series, I didn't htink it would make it (season 1), but after the series started becoming more coherent with it's ideas, it awed me with it's ability to hold interest, pull heart strings on a human interest level, and make me think about how things could change if one had the ability to impact them.

Some people think the ending to the series was poor, leaving people hanging. I think it's quite the contrary... I LOVED the ending. When I think of the series outside of SciFi, and live the story, the series finale makes me think that Sam is out there still, fixing lives.

If you're reading this, dislike the ending, and have the ability to get beyond a storyline and actually live a story, the way a good book makes you... then think of the last thing that went right for you.

Perhaps that was Sam.
  • Hoping the next leap will be the leap home..

Dr. Sam Beckett is a time traveler and "leaps" or occupies the body of someone for a short amount of time to "change history for the better." He is advised by his friend Al who is a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. I was hooked on this show after I saw the pilot episode. I thought it was a great concept and loved the variety of characters and situations Sam would face. Sam and Al (played by Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell) had such great chemistry. Sam was the straight-laced brilliant one and Al was..well he had only one thing on his mind most of the time. A great show that did not get the recognition it deserved.
  • Brilliant show. Shouldn't have stopped

Sometimes I feel sorry for Sam Beckett. He can never go home and he seems kinda lonely sometimes. But at least his leaping made a damn good, entertaining show for us viewers. I always looked forward to the end of an episode when we would get to see who Sam leaped into next. Most episodes were great. They would have a tension filled plot or just some plain funny comedy. Some were boring. The only things that happened would be Sam trying to get two people together or stop someone from dropping out of school.
    But anyway, besides all that, Quantum leap was great. There was a surprise at the end of every episode and it was always fun to see what situation Sam got into this time.
  • I really enjoy the quintessence of time travel in this show. It is one of my personal favorites and a classic because it hits every aspect of real life and the difficulties people may have experienced in their own lifetime. Al and Sam are amazingly cool.

I think this show was one in a million. Who would seriously travel in time to change things for the better? Not many people. Sam and Al were doing the right thing in helping people out. I like the aspect of quantum physics being pointed out in this show. It shows that it was serious that Sam swiss cheesed his memory every leap he did. I liked how he still remembered all of the things he learned as a doctor and had his karate skills and photographic memory. It made the show more fun to watch. My favorite episodes are The Leap Home,Shock Theatre, The Leap Back, The Trilogy, and all of the Evil Leaper episodes.I would have liked to see Al with Beth if they ever had a 6th season. I wish it never got cancelled.

• Unique show that trailblazed for countless others.

I was absolutely in love with this show during its airing, and I continued to watch it when it was on Sci-Fi for it's rerun life. It seems to have vanished from that channel, unfortunately. Sci-Fi only occasionally runs blocks of QL episodes, usually at 1:00am. Quantum Leap was a really interesting, unique show that I feel paved the way for many of today's popular shows. Especially after seeing the pilot for the new show "Journeyman" all I could think of was Quantum Leap. I hope that show is half as good as QL. Scott Bakula can be a bit of a ham, to say the least, but his acting style melded perfectly with do-gooder Sam Beckett, and the balance between his and Dean Stockwell's character, Al, was an excellent demonstration of two actors who have found a worthy partner.

Plus, I loved how the show could be at turns straight-up slap-stick comedy, serious drama, social commentary, or thriller. The episodes concerning Lee Harvey Oswald are just so well done and so riveting, it's kind of amazing. The fact that show could do something like that, then suddenly jump to something as varied as, say, a Southern Gothic murder mystery, or the threat of an evil leaper that goes around and reeks havoc, well, it's testament to the show's creators that it didn't devolve into ridiculousness.
  • Sci-Fi or Dramatic Comedy? Either way it was fantastic

Quantum Leap was story telling at its best. Not only did it tell the story of Sam and Al but all the individuals they touched. It was one of the more influencial shows, dealing with issues no one else would touch, for example the episode Jimmy in season 2 where sam had to help mentally handicapped Jimmy get accepted by society, it was a touching episode to say the least.
    I would love to see this come back, there were talks of a Movie, but those may be gone now. Quantum Leap, gone but not forgetten. Ahead of its time, influencial and fantastic in general
  • Theorising that one can travel within his own lifetime, Dr Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accellorator and vanished

He awaoke to find himself in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, his only guide on the journey is Al, a holographic image from his own time.... Quantum Leap was a fantastic Sci-Fi TV series which ran in the early 1990's with Scott Bakula at the helm as the time traveller, trying to get home. Each episode saw him take on all types of challenges, from playing mobsters, to women, from a downs syndrome adult to a magician. Only he can see and hear his guide, who was in the future working on ways to get him home, and the last episode was a remarkable cliffhanger. Classic TV series, and original to boot.

• Great until the End

this show was one of my favorites growing in the uk i was weaned on such shows as doctor who and wehn i was nearing the end of my education this show came on and i imediatly cuaght on the fan bus.
    some of my fave episodes were where with the evil leaper and also the specials like the vampire episode and the scrooge episode also where sam and Al swapped for a few episodes the only time i truely didnt like this show was near it's end and basing it on the god and the devil governing his actions and the choice he had to make with Al.

The ending kind of spoiled it for me saying Sam was lost in time etc and didnt have no guide anymore. I hope one day this gets picked up again. As i dont see scott bakula doing much lately and after enterprise this would probably perk his carrier up a bit
  • We need another show like this.

It was a little cheesy. I can admit that. But, I'm still a fan. a big fan. We need a show that's cheesy like QL was when it aired. It's not just simple Sci-Fi. Quantum Leap is about all that is good in the human spirit. It wasn't just a science fiction time travel show. It could have been set in the present day or any time and it still would have worked as well.

At it's core, QL explored two themes: human progress and friendship. The time travel and science fiction element served both themes fantastically.

The premise of the show provided a unique look at every facet of modern society. Because Dr. Sam Beckett "leaped" into the lives of other people, we got a chance to look back at how the world has progressed for different sexes, nationalities, and social classes since the 1950s. We got the chance to see how the world has changed in the relaitons between different countries. And, we got to see the work that still had to be done. But, it was all approached with a sense of optimism. With a sense of hope.

Not many shows attempt to explore the changes in society. And those that do delve into the darkest parts. Quantum Leap dove into the darkest parts of the human heart, but it never left its viewers wondering or worrying that there was no hope. Even in its darkest moments, And, that's where the theme of friendship always came into play -- for hope. The dynamic between Al and Sam is great television in and of itself. Like most strong friendships, the two men are in some ways polar opposites. Where Sam is the straight arrow, AL is the sometimes fallen angel. But, in the end, the show exemplifies the lengths that friends will go to for each other. From Al's sacrifice in allowing Sam to save his brother from death in Vietnam at the sake of Al serving years in a POW camp. To Sam's decision to leave his present to save Al "the leaper" from plunging to his death as a former WWII Army POW, this show was the ultimate buddy show. Many are critical of the final leap, because it fails to tie up some loose ends for Sam (and for Al). But, I recommend you watch the series again. And, on if you make it to that last episode ask yourself if faith, hope and friendship could lead to any other ending. It was cheesy. But we could use more of this kind of cheesy.
< 1 2 3