Quantum Leap

The Last Door; Trilogy, Part 3

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Nov 24, 1992 on NBC

• The conclusion of the three episodes that revolve around Abigail Fuller

In the final episode of the Trilogy, we see many events come to a head. The third episode finds Leta Aider dead in Abigail's kitchen with her throat cut. With Leta blaming Abigail for the death of her daughter and husband, she was the cause of many problems for Sam. In the first episode she started the fire that killed Clayton Fuller and in the second she attempted to have Abigail hung. Now this time around Sam finds himself as Abigail's attorney Larry Stanton. This leap he must prove to a court that Abigail is not responsible for Leta's death despite the overwhelming evidence against her. We also learn in this episode that as Will Kinman in Part 2, Sam fathered Abigail's daughter Sammy Jo who grows up and actually becomes part of the Quantum Leap project. The mystery of who killed Leta's daughter Violet is resolved as we see Abigail's mother come to life after all of those years institutionalized. Great episode and another testament to Quantum Leap's innovative storytelling.
  • In the final part of the Trilogy, Sam leaps in as Abigail's defense attorney.

As I said before, Part Two of the trilogy was the absolute best, but the clincher in this episode when Sam realized that Sammy Jo (I think?) was his daughter, I just couldn't believe it! The whole concept of it - how much we could tell that Sam personally was in love with Abigail - and then the child which came from that love, and how he actually got to meet her once, and she was brilliant like him... Words can't describe! Just a great episode, a great turn of events, in a story that begins in Part One seemingly usual in the line-up of Quantum Leap plots, but just the whole Trilogy turns out to be great, just great.