Quantum Leap

The Leap Home

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Sep 28, 1990 on NBC

• A Happy Leap,and a Touching Goodbye

Sam leaps Home,as himself,as his 16 year-old self.This is without a doubt Sam's happiest Leaps.This episode has become one of my Top Favorites.Sam thinks that he is there to prevent his Families coming tragedies.In the original history,his Father had died way too soon.His Sister marries an abusive alcoholic,and his Brother Tom goes to Vietnam,and is killed in action.But alas,it is not so.Al tells Sam that he is there to win the Championship Basketball Game that according to Ziggy,his(Sam's team) had originally lost.Sam however does not see it that way.In his attempts to right the wrong in his Family,he begs his Father to quit smoking,and not to eat the fatty foods which would effect his health,and ccause him to die early.He warns his brother Tom not to go to Vietnam,where he was killed.Tom makes a deal with Sam:that if Sam wins the the Basketball Game,he(Tom) will crawl in the deepest hole in Vietnam on a certain date.The most heart-wrenching scene comes when Sam tells his Sister Katie that she will marry an abusive alcoholic.He tells her about the future,and when he proceeds to prove it(he sings a song that has not been written at that present time)Katie cries.Seeing Katie cry Sam reluctantly tells her that he made up the whole story,and runs out into the field.Sam is understandily frustrated that he can't put right his own families tragedy.He has a similar feeling that Al had felt when his wife Beth remarried.Al helps Sam realise that he should be happy with spending time,in this time period with his Family.Sam realises,Al is correct.After spending Thanksgiving with his Family,Sam plays,and wins the Basketball Championship Game,but not before mowing a good-bye to his Father.He would soon Leap.
  • Homecoming

This is my favorate episode of Quantum Leap ever (or two parter if you count part two of "The Leap Home".). In a way we finally get a lot more depth into Sam Beckett's past as we see he has came back home.

It's both moving but also emotionally heart wrenching because Sam knows whats going to happen to each and everyone of his family. His dad is having heart problems and we see he's not doing enough about it to prevent it. Sam's little sister is going to get herself into a bad marrage that will ruin her life. But worst of all his big brother Tom is about to go into Vietnam and die. Sam in this one show how truely human he is, he enjoys reliving and spending time again in those years with his family long gone and feel heavy pathos as he is struggling to help them so they can go on to better lives instead he's making things worse and is forced to lie about the truth.

There is one great dialog scene with both Al and Sam once again which gets into that problematic heroic dilema. Sam says, "Why am I only allowed to help strangers and not the ones I love." And also says in anger and sadness up at the sky, "You hear me I'm not doing it anymore, I'm not doing it I quit!" And then Al of course gives a heartfelt speach about what he'd do and feels in Sam's sittuation. And then of course Sam does exactly that.

This episode in a way hit deep with a lot of us that have had families, our love for them and desire to visit them and to have those moments in time again. As well as what lengths we go to help the ones we love and keep them in our lives. Time always passes and changes but our feelings within those moments of time never die, they stay forever in our souls.
  • Sam finally leaps home, but as his 16-year-old self. Ziggy theorizes that Sam's there to win a basketball game, thus greatly improving the futures of all involved in that game. However, aware of the tragic fate of his family, Sam's more concerned with ch

This is easily one of my favorite episodes of Quantum Leap. Sam is confronted with the fact that, in spite of all the other lives he has saved or improved, he may not be able to save the lives of those that matter most to him. So great is Sam's frustration that he considers giving up his mission. In this we see Sam's humanity. He's getting tired of fixing everyone elses' lives, while his world seems to crumble around him. I personally always liked displays of humanity in fantasy settings, so this really made me like this episode. Sam is just a normal guy stuck in the stream of time, fixing everyone else's problems, but he can't seem to help those he loves. He obviously does the right thing (not exactly the best season opener if the main character gives up), but at least it shows that Sam has to win a personal battle to do what must be done. In conclusion, The Leap Home is a supurb episode. If you saw this review, you will like this episode.
  • The episode where QL finally became for me the best american drama of it`s time.

50 words huh ?!? guess this is why i`m not a full time reviewer! This is my favourite epsiode of Quantum Leap, everytime i watch it the feeling of sadness as Sam`s realisation he can`t stay home is heartbreaking. This is cliche but this is the show you must watch!