Quantum Leap

The Right Hand of God

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Apr 07, 1989 on NBC

• Sam leaps into "Kid" Cody, a boxer owned by nuns who want him to win a big upcoming fight to help fund their new church; that lives with a topless go-go dancer; and who is being pressured by a heavy to take a dive in the fight. A nice, likeable tale...

Although maybe not ultimately ranking as one of the series classics, I really enjoyed "The Right Hand of God".

BBC Two here in the United Kingdom ran the series through several times – sometimes starting a run and getting a few episodes in before abandoning it; as such, they showed "The Right Hand of God" quite a few times, and I ended up having quite a few off-air recordings of it; I became really familiar with the episode as a result.

There are some nice guest performances in this one, such as Teri Copley as the dizzy but kind hearted topless dancer Dixie, and Michelle Joyner as Sister Angela, the nun who finds her faith tested.

Bellisario always likes to weave religious tones into his various shows, and they are very prominent here; even beyond the obvious Nun element, Sam several times looks up to the sky wondering what joke God is pulling on him this time.

It's not really a spoiler to say that ultimately Sam wins the big fight, we all knew he would all along. I like how Al "ghost fights" with Sam to help him win win (thankfully, after Al also teaching Sam how to fly the jet in the Pilot, they didn't overuse this plot idea of Al always being the solution to Sam's current predicament).

Watching this episode through on DVD to review, I maybe didn't enjoy it as much as I used to, but most of that is probably due to (as mentioned above) how familiar I am with the story, so it held little real surprises for me this time. But I still really like this episode, and rate it a decent 9.5 out of 10.