We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Queen for a Day Forums

NBC (ended 1964)

Queen For A Day

tvshindig

[1]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 1

I am seeking an episode in any registered playing form of 'Queen For A Day' tv show in which my Mother was a contestant. She did not win, as her story was beat out by a far more devasting story if that could be believed. She was given a contestant prize of a coffee perculator, which we as young children, thought was the reason for the participation and came away with much joy. Her name,she was then 33 or 34 years old and is now 80 years of age. It was most likely in 1960 or 1961. I would appreciate any news matter on this subject. And would very much like to get my hands on it. Thank you Sincerely, May mmccorkil@yahoo.com

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

woodfern

[2]Apr 13, 2008

I remember this show and I was under 10 years old.

Somehow it made an impression on me and it wasn't good.

I think all the late give away shows brought it back.

Somehow I think it makes me uncomfortable, like we are exploiting their pain/ignorance.

And even if they don't care, I do, for them.

AjLs

[3]Jul 23, 2009

I am also searching for a copy of my mom's appearance on the show. Any help out there?

Paschalboy

[4]Apr 23, 2010
    I know there are few messages here, but for some reason the horrendous premise of this show came to mind, making me look it up.

From what I could find out, most of the episodes were destroyed, so there are no surviving set...as a kid back then, it was unnerving to watch, much like some of the reality shows of today....how little has changed.

JoyCarter1

[5]Dec 2, 2011

As a past Queen for a Day, I have a much different slant on the show. My mother went to the show several times trying to get on the show to get things to help make my brother's (who had severe cerebral palsy) life a little better. She finally got on the show and was runner up, but got her wish, which was a telephone he could operate independently. He had no use of his hands and was hard of hearing. The phone company technicians invented a phone with a toggle switch which connected directly with an operator who then made the call for him. The phone was equipped with a speaker and stationery mic for his communication needs (again, he could not use his hands). That phone opened up the world to him and he had it, or updates of it, for the rest of his life. It improved his life immeasureably, beyond description. Later, when I turned 18, and my boyfriend and I decided to spend a day going to several TV show tapings (including "Queen"), I asked for a typewriter my brother could type on using a stick in his mouth. There were two other ladies there with sob stories, and one with a rather silly request, but for some reason, the audience applauded loudest for me, and my brother got his electric IBM Selectric typewriter -- quite the thing in 1961 -- and he was able to write several songs that were published and recorded, one of which was on the top ten on the inspirational billboard. All thanks to Queen for a Day.