Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

Ethan Gold

duit83

[21]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 26

toxic_boy21 wrote:
    ive only gotten to episode 2 ... got real busy with stuff the last two weeks. but omg, its soo good so far. i hope the 'sad ending' isnt cancer-related b/c if justin or brian die, im gonna break down.

OMG!

The ending is really sad but not that cruel!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

djboy76

[22]Nov 3, 2007
    • level: 15
    Ethan was a pretentious little prat. The first time we ever saw him, I could tell and was like "yup, hate him already". I know the type - they think they're intense and incredibly creative and have a special insight into the human condition, using flowery words to say very little. When the reality is that they're just a dumb human like everyone else, and The Simpsons and Brian's "I believe in f*cking" speech show more insight.

duit83 wrote:
    And don't forget tissues. Many tissues...
    Umm...

duit83

[23]Nov 10, 2007

djboy76 wrote:
    Ethan was a pretentious little prat. The first time we ever saw him, I could tell and was like "yup, hate him already". I know the type - they think they're intense and incredibly creative and have a special insight into the human condition, using flowery words to say very little. When the reality is that they're just a dumb human like everyone else, and The Simpsons and Brian's "I believe in f*cking" speech show more insight.

duit83 wrote:
    And don't forget tissues. Many tissues...
    Umm...

I liked Ethan but not as Justin's boyfriend. Although he was a bit pseudo-philosophic, Ethan wasn't such a bad guy.

(What, didn't you cry?! If not you must be a tough person.)

siomay

[24]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    I only cried when Mel & Linz left Pitts and when the gangs made a review bout their past. Not bcoz the story but coz I realized that the story had already finished & I don't have to wait for the next surprises from BJ. Yes, BJ still get one but without "rings nor vow". So what's your opinion after finish the Folkthlon?

djboy76

[25]Nov 12, 2007
    • level: 15
    duit83 wrote:

There are some things tissues are used for that don't involve crying. Suggesting you will need "many tissues"... well...

And no, I didn't cry. I don't cry.
    Edited on 11/12/2007 6:59am

duit83

[26]Nov 12, 2007

djboy76 wrote:
    duit83 wrote:

There are some things tissues are used for that don't involve crying. Suggesting you will need "many tissues"... well...

And no, I didn't cry. I don't cry.

I mean the Kleenex-thingie

Sorry, a bad mistake...

toxic_boy21

[27]Nov 18, 2007
    • level: 13
    OMG I'm on the last three episodes ever!!!

BinkyMimo88

[28]Nov 25, 2007
    • level: 3

Being the B/J fan that I am, I first found Ethan replusive and wanted him gone.

But...a year or so later, I've come to appreciate Ethan's character and what he did for B/J. He made them stronger than ever, and gave Justin what he needed to grow.

The arc is SUPER painful to watch (and I don't want it often). I remember the first time I wacthed it. I wasnervous the whole way through because I had read how painful it was on the internet to watcth 216-220 LOL. In fact, the first time, I told myself, "just get through it once, and you'll never have to watch these episodes again".

But now I really do like Justin's interactions withEthan. Not because I like the pairing, but because for that last half of this season,it's the only time Justin seems even a little happy. And, I'm kind of an angst whore.

Edited on 11/25/2007 11:39pm

SMGslayer97

[29]Nov 26, 2007
    • level: 34
    I am the same way about Ethan, I find him repulsive and wanted him gone from the minute he first appeared. I find it very hard to watch the last few episodes of season 2 involving their first interactions. I still get so upset watching those episodes and I don't watch them that often but you are right. After Ethan and Justin's little trist Brian and Justin came back stronger and better then ever.

luvstoned21

[31]Nov 26, 2007
    • level: 2

Yes I totally agree. Justin thought that Ethan could give him everything that Brian couldn't- that perfect fairytale relationship that he only saw in movies (as Brian once put it). But Ethan only proved Brian's point that relationships didn't always work that way by cheating on Justin.

At first I thought Brian was a big assfor never admitting his true feelings to Justin. But I eventually saw how Brian was just being real about his views on love.

I always thought Ethan was kind of sleezy too... Justin was never really into those cheesy lines that Ethan spat out, Brian was more his style. I knew they wouldn't last!!

And yes the reunion in Brian's office was HOT HOT HOT!!!

Edited on 12/10/2007 4:07pm

duit83

[32]Nov 27, 2007

I like your point of view!

The relationship with Ethan was necessary for Justin's character development. After Ethan cheated on him, Justin discovered that Brian was (almost) always honest with him, which is more important to a relationship than permanent (and by the way meaningless) declarations of love. Breaking up with Ethan made Justin much stronger than he was before, so he stood up for his rights and needs and was finally accepted as his partner by Brian.

And yes, the reunion of B/J was HOT!!!

WickedNugget

[33]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 8
    The "Ethan Gold"-subject has been making so many verbal fights in some of the forums I've been to. I think people just have to agree to disagree about it(Him). Personally, I think they did have clousure. The "I never forgave Brian"speech that Justin gave Ethan really said everything that needed to be said.

whatsupgal

[34]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 4
    I agree with whomever hates Ethan Gold. What a pretentious little (word that Brian likes to use a lot that means vagina

MissOleson

[35]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 3
    I just didn't like him at all. He seemed slimy to me. That is the only word that comes to mind when I think of him. I am not looking forward to another round of Ethan (LOGO is getting close to those episodes again).

whatsupgal

[36]Mar 29, 2008
    • level: 4

Yeah, it's especially painful to watch it from Brian's angle. I mean, it's pretty freaking obvious that Brian is very hurt and, I happen to think, a little perplexed. Maybe it has to do with his ego(), but I think it's hard for Brian to understand someone not wanting to be with him forever, regardless of whether he makes "declarations of love" or not. Brian is a pretty wonderful guy-I'm a little perplexed as to why Justin just didn't continue to see through Brian's bulls*** for what was really-and always will be-there-a great love for Justin. Luckily, Justin realizes this in the end, and I guess I have to be thankful to Ethan in some regard for making the Brian/Justin relationship that much stronger.