Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

is Brian too old for Justin?

breezy2281

[1]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 19

i was just curious how many people here thought that Brian was in fact too old for justin (moreso when they first got together, but also just in general), or how many disagree and why.

i personally think that age is just a number, and have myself been attracted to older people for a long time. and even though Brian treats justin like crap at first and quite often (as i've seen so far) deep down we know he does love him. We see that on several occasions. i just thought this would bring a little activity to the forum

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[2]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 34
    I'm with you, age is just a number. It's strange but I never feel like Brian is to old for Justin but during season 1 I feel like Justin is to young for Brian, if that makes any sense. I love Justin but during season one he was still very much a teenager, not in the sense of age but in the sense of maturity. He was quickly becoming more adult but you can really see his "teenage" side in season 1 and he just feels like he's a little to young for Brian.

ladycatherine

[3]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 14
    breezy2281 wrote:

i was just curious how many people here thought that Brian was in fact too old for justin (moreso when they first got together, but also just in general), or how many disagree and why.

i personally think that age is just a number, and have myself been attracted to older people for a long time. and even though Brian treats justin like crap at first and quite often (as i've seen so far) deep down we know he does love him. We see that on several occasions. i just thought this would bring a little activity to the forum

It is a little strange for some people to be that far apart in age and still have enough incommon to be in love. In this case I think in the begining it was more sex then personality that they liked about each other. The older justin got the more to two of them could have incommon.

SMGslayer97

[4]Aug 6, 2008
    ladycatherine wrote:
    breezy2281 wrote:

It is a little strange for some people to be that far apart in age and still have enough incommon to be in love. In this case I think in the begining it was more sex then personality that they liked about each other. The older justin got the more to two of them could have incommon.

Sometimes age can be a factor, sometimes it isn't. It really has to be looked at in a case by case way.

BinkyMimo88

[5]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 3
    No. IMO, they work because Brian, though 12 years older, is the same age EMOTIONALLY as Justin is.

zeofan1

[6]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 25

BinkyMimo88 wrote:
    No. IMO, they work because Brian, though 12 years older, is the same age EMOTIONALLY as Justin is.

sagarmathasgirl

[7]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 6

Doesn't Debbie tell Jennifer much the same thing at one point in the first season ? I think the sixth episode?

I've heard about this before, I'm not sure from who, maybe an interview with the producers, but they said a lot of young gay teens need older men in their lives to 'show them the ropes', help them with confidence and self-image....if they don't have anyone to turn to who knows what they are going through, they might commit suicide, get into drugs, etc, etc.

As for my personal opinion--they work so well together as a couple that I couldn't care less what age they are!

SMGslayer97

[8]Aug 23, 2008
    sagarmathasgirl wrote:

Doesn't Debbie tell Jennifer much the same thing at one point in the first season ? I think the sixth episode?

I've heard about this before, I'm not sure from who, maybe an interview with the producers, but they said a lot of young gay teens need older men in their lives to 'show them the ropes', help them with confidence and self-image....if they don't have anyone to turn to who knows what they are going through, they might commit suicide, get into drugs, etc, etc.

As for my personal opinion--they work so well together as a couple that I couldn't care less what age they are!

I kind of see that, a younger gay man coming out and having no one being appreciative and helped by an older mor eexperienced gay man who maybe struggled with some of the same things. Even if they aren't together I imagine it would be an enormous help to have someone to support you and you had a lot in common with to some degree.

breezy2281

[9]Aug 31, 2008
    that's an interesting way of putting it. and it does make sense, the fact that you see justin being too young for brian in a way, rather than brian being too old for justin. as i watch more of season one, i see what you mean. i'm on episode 15 so far. lol i'm back in my dorm and classes are keeping very busy, so i don't have much time to watch it right now, but i'm forcing myself to anyway because i love it and don't want to stop. i wish i could skip class just to watch it, isn't that sick? lol but we're only allowed to have 3 unexcused absences and then we can be dismissed from the class, so since i get very sick sometimes i figured i should save my days for a time when i actually need them like when i'm sick....or to extend a vacation

Katara0017

[10]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 8
    Not really

NJS06

[11]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 5
    BinkyMimo88 wrote:

Agreed. And Justin was pretty mature like after season 1. Its not like he couldnt handle Brian.

breezy2281

[12]Sep 7, 2008
    good point

LadyInque

[13]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 24
    Love has no barrier if they love each-other it wont matter

SgtCashmere

[14]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 15

breezy2281 wrote:
    i personally think that age is just a number, and have myself been attracted to older people for a long time.

It's understandable when younger people like older people... I guess the real problems come when older people like the younger ones. Are they going to use / manipulate them? I think, in some ways, Brian was very irresponsible with Justin. Showing up at his prom to dance with him was a horrible, dangerous idea. But of course they loved each other, and they helped each other grow... Still, I prefer couples who are the same age. But as long as people aren't public with their taboos, who cares, right? It's nobody's business until the couple in question starts behaving publicly.

jeffsilver_25

[15]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 10
    No, most of the time I feel like Justin is too old for Brian. Age means nothing anyway. I was 18 and I was with someone that was 11 years older than me and I never felt like it was an issue. It is more about maturity and emotion level. Justin had Brian beat in both.