Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

Larry King vs. QAF

twins1729

[21]Apr 6, 2007
    • level: 13
    I loved Randy in Bang, Bang, You're Dead.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

noahcrash

[22]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 19
    Hal Sparks gets very annoying with how much he has to constantly point out he is straight. This just makes him seem less and less straight. Above all, who cares?

hudsonlife

[23]Apr 19, 2007
    • level: 1

Does anyone know what Randy's tattoo is?  Most people would have just had to watch Hal kiss anyone on the show to know he was straight, but he did say it was hard sometimes to do the kissing scenes and it showed, he looked alittle more comfortable kissing Gale then any one else.

twins1729

[24]Apr 19, 2007
    hudsonlife wrote:

Does anyone know what Randy's tattoo is?  Most people would have just had to watch Hal kiss anyone on the show to know he was straight, but he did say it was hard sometimes to do the kissing scenes and it showed, he looked alittle more comfortable kissing Gale then any one else.

Randy's tattoo is of a Scorpion for Scorpio. I remember since I'm a Scorpio too.

SMGslayer97

[25]Apr 19, 2007
    • level: 34
    hudsonlife wrote:

I know what you mean. Of everyone on the show Hal seemed to have the most trouble with not only the kissing men but he seemed to be the most defensive when it came to people even suggesting that he was gay I mean all you had to do was watch some his scenes, and it's not as though he wasn't believeable because he did a great job but sometimes...

He and Gale seemed to have genuine best friend kind of vibe on screen, even from episode one which is probably why they worked so well chemistry wise on screen.

Donna48

[26]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 12

I thought all of Hal's kissing scenes with Robert Gant, were fantastic! He never looked uncomfortable to me at all? I'm sure it was a bit difficult at first, but I think he grew more comfortable with it as a bit of time went on.

I've had the opportunity to meet Hal, on several occasion and I just want to say that he is a really great guy. He does a lot for the gay community. I think that people misunderstand him at times. I know that in EVERY interview he did, he was always asked 'what it was like to kiss a guy? And 'are you straight?' I guess it can get tiresome being asked the same questions over and over. He's spoken at a few GLAAD events, and along with Robert Gant, he was also at the groundbreaking for Triangle Square, which is the very first Senior Housing development for the GLBT community. He is also very involved in AIDS walks and Project Angel Food too.

SMGslayer97

[27]Apr 20, 2007
    Donna48 wrote:

I thought all of Hal's kissing scenes with Robert Gant, were fantastic! He never looked uncomfortable to me at all? I'm sure it was a bit difficult at first, but I think he grew more comfortable with it as a bit of time went on.

I've had the opportunity to meet Hal, on several occasion and I just want to say that he is a really great guy. He does a lot for the gay community. I think that people misunderstand him at times. I know that in EVERY interview he did, he was always asked 'what it was like to kiss a guy? And 'are you straight?' I guess it can get tiresome being asked the same questions over and over. He's spoken at a few GLAAD events, and along with Robert Gant, he was also at the groundbreaking for Triangle Square, which is the very first Senior Housing development for the GLBT community. He is also very involved in AIDS walks and Project Angel Food too.

Well it's not even that he looked uncomfotable and this might sound a little odd but to me through the first couple of seasons it looked it was just something Hal was unfamiliar with and needed to get used to. I mean some actors can pick up something naturally and some need time to make a transition. It's not a criticism at all because I loved his performance on the show it's just an observation.

bbmmanyoo

[28]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 5

I thought Hal was great as Mikey.  I looked at it from the character's point of view and in the beginning Mikey did seem a little reserved when kissing Ben.  First of all it was a new relationship, plus the biggest factor is Ben is HIV positive so that had to make Mikey apprehensive.  Also, his mother Debbie was totally against the relationship.  And there is always the deep down love for Brian Kinney.  As their relationship grew, so did there physical intensity. 

As for constantly being badgered if you are gay or straight, has got to get old.  I was totally obsessed with Brokeback Mountain and I remember Jake saying in an interview that he was soo tired of being asked what it was like kissing another guy and if he was gay or straight.  Funny thing, I don't ever remember Charleze Theron being asked what it was like kissing another woman when she did the movie Monster.

SMGslayer97

[29]Apr 20, 2007
    bbmmanyoo wrote:

I thought Hal was great as Mikey.  I looked at it from the character's point of view and in the beginning Mikey did seem a little reserved when kissing Ben.  First of all it was a new relationship, plus the biggest factor is Ben is HIV positive so that had to make Mikey apprehensive.  Also, his mother Debbie was totally against the relationship.  And there is always the deep down love for Brian Kinney.  As their relationship grew, so did there physical intensity. 

As for constantly being badgered if you are gay or straight, has got to get old.  I was totally obsessed with Brokeback Mountain and I remember Jake saying in an interview that he was soo tired of being asked what it was like kissing another guy and if he was gay or straight.  Funny thing, I don't ever remember Charleze Theron being asked what it was like kissing another woman when she did the movie Monster.

And that just goes to show the double standard between gay women and gay men in the media.

hudsonlife

[30]May 4, 2007
     I also didn't mean as criticism i liked the character of Mikey and the way he always was there of Brian and accepting him for who he was and not judging him that is a true best friend.  The more i watch the series the more i wish they would have explored the possibilty of Mike and Brian together. Even thou i loved Brian and Justin together and would have liked to see them together in the end,Who else better to fall in love with then your best friend.? You don't really see Brian showing his vulnerable side to anyone else.  My favorite scene with them two is when Brian is getting sued for sexual harassment and Mikey bring all that food over and they end up going to Woody's and getting their "band" back together.  Wonder if Gale actually knows how to play?  I thought Hal did.

SMGslayer97

[31]May 4, 2007
    hudsonlife wrote:
     I also didn't mean as criticism i liked the character of Mikey and the way he always was there of Brian and accepting him for who he was and not judging him that is a true best friend.  The more i watch the series the more i wish they would have explored the possibilty of Mike and Brian together. Even thou i loved Brian and Justin together and would have liked to see them together in the end,Who else better to fall in love with then your best friend.? You don't really see Brian showing his vulnerable side to anyone else.  My favorite scene with them two is when Brian is getting sued for sexual harassment and Mikey bring all that food over and they end up going to Woody's and getting their "band" back together.  Wonder if Gale actually knows how to play?  I thought Hal did.

The one reason that always kept me from actually wanting them to explore the whole Mikey/Brian as a couple thing was the simple fact that for should it not work out, which was kind of inevitable considering the different things they both wanted out of relationships, it would be very hard for them to get that close brotherly bond back. Essentially it would be wrecked and I don't see a way where they could repair it.

bbmmanyoo

[32]May 7, 2007
    The one reason that always kept me from actually wanting them to explore the whole Mikey/Brian as a couple thing was the simple fact that for should it not work out, which was kind of inevitable considering the different things they both wanted out of relationships, it would be very hard for them to get that close brotherly bond back. Essentially it would be wrecked and I don't see a way where they could repair it.

I agree with your post. I don't think they could of ever had that kind of relationship because if it didn't work, which it wouldn't, then it would be hard to go back as friends. The friendship was the foundation of this show, especially in the beginning of the series. I was even afraid that Emmett and Ted, who had an equally as great friendship might not be able to go back to being friends, but thankfully it did.

You know for anyone to truly have a relationship with Brian would be very hard. Most people won't accept they way Brian was. I mean if I have to make a pack with my boyfriend that he can have s*x with whoever, but he can't kiss them, I would go crazy, even as hott as Brian was.

SMGslayer97

[33]May 7, 2007
    bbmmanyoo wrote:

I agree with your post. I don't think they could of ever had that kind of relationship because if it didn't work, which it wouldn't, then it would be hard to go back as friends. The friendship was the foundation of this show, especially in the beginning of the series. I was even afraid that Emmett and Ted, who had an equally as great friendship might not be able to go back to being friends, but thankfully it did.

And you know I always thought that putting Emmett and Ted together for that short time was sort of a cautionary tale for Brian/Mikey fans. I mean for awhile there they didn't have their friednship back thought they did manage to recover, I mean Emmett and Ted did mostly want the same thing out the relationship (out of most relationships) and they couldn't make it work. How could Michael and Brian be expected to?

twins1729

[34]May 7, 2007
    I believe Brian and Michael being friends was at the heart of the show (quoting Vh1). Michael did have feelings for Brian, but the dicipated when he met Ben. Yes, I do believe Mikey always wanted Brian at least once, but it would've have ruined their friendship and as SMG stated, it wouldn't have survived afterwards. All the chances Mikey had to have s*x with Brian, 119 and 212, Michael stopped him, because he knew they couldn't. Also, Brian never felt that way towards Michael, he did love him and he did care about him, but nothing more than close friends should. Luckily Michael realized the truth and fell in love with someone else. And Brian fell in love with Justin, which also added to the impossibility that it wouldn't happen.

bbmmanyoo

[35]May 7, 2007
    I loved Ted and Emmett's relationship. I was kind of irritated when they got together in the series, but as usual QAF did disappoint me. They found a way to save their friendship that was very believable. To me there were just to very lonely people who spent so much time with each other, they thought why not.

SMGslayer97

[36]May 7, 2007
    bbmmanyoo wrote:
    I loved Ted and Emmett's relationship. I was kind of irritated when they got together in the series, but as usual QAF did disappoint me. They found a way to save their friendship that was very believable. To me there were just to very lonely people who spent so much time with each other, they thought why not.

Well I always they were cute enough together but it was clear that they weren't going to end up together. I mean it was obvious they were put together simply to explore the idea of two good friends trying to become a couple despite in a series where most of the characters encounters were somewhat short and meaningless, excluding Michael of course who became the embodiment of the alternative. They were the two logical characters to insert into that story arc.

hudsonlife

[37]May 16, 2007
     I thought Ted and Emmett together was cute and was also glad when it was over they are better friends then lovers.  Besides i liked Ted and Blake and was glad he ended up with him.  I also think i would be hard to be in a relationship with Brian, but you could tell that Justin was the only one that  he had s*x with that meant anything, just by the way he touched him.   The others were just s*x for the sake of s*x. If you knew that then maybe it would be ok, but i myself am way to jealous of a person for that even if he was hot, i couldn't do it. 

bbmmanyoo

[38]May 23, 2007

I like Blake for Ted also.  I was glad they worked out their individual issues and met back up at a time in their lives where maybe it will work out.  Emmett and Ted's friendship was way too cool for it to be more. 

As for Brian, he had no love as a child so he never learned how to share.  As a child if you are no shown any love you have a way of putting up walls to protect yourself emotionally and I believe that is what he did.  I felt he truly fell in love with Justin and proved it in the end by letting him go.

noahcrash

[39]May 27, 2007
    • level: 19
    All the interesting conversations here!! Its great. I did want to put out there that I love Hal Sparks and he is great as Michael. All I was saying is I have NEVER saw an interview of his where he did not offer up the statement he is straight. He over does it! And not just when hes asked. More than often, HE brings it up!! He should read the old short story "A Slander"!

SMGslayer97

[40]May 27, 2007
    noahcrash wrote:
    All the interesting conversations here!! Its great. I did want to put out there that I love Hal Sparks and he is great as Michael. All I was saying is I have NEVER saw an interview of his where he did not offer up the statement he is straight. He over does it! And not just when hes asked. More than often, HE brings it up!! He should read the old short story "A Slander"!

Well you know I always try and think of it like this, most actors when they join a series always prepare for what will happen if the series bombs or gets cancelled right away. But I don't think many are actually totally prepared for when a show becomes a huge success and gets a lot press, and it becomes one of the things they are most recognized for. So when QAF took off the way it did I doubt all the actors were prepared for the show to be so embraced, considering how easily it could have tanked. So to be so associated with just one role you've done over the course of your whole career, especially a role from a television series which can be very hard to escape for some actors, might make certain actors/actresses prickly about the role. I think maybe Hal felt that way about Michael because he always seemed to get very defensive when the character (or the show) was brought up in an interview, he would always sound very surprised by the attention he got from fans because of the role, and honestly being so recognized for just one thing when you've had more then one job would probably be a little daunting and frustrating.

But maybe I'm giving Hal to make credit. I don't know. I just tend to think that his constant clarification that he was in fact straight had more to do with escaping from the role of Michael and being recognized for other things then it had to do with him just pointing out that he was not gay But like I said who knows.