Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

Larry King vs. QAF

noahcrash

[41]May 28, 2007
    • level: 19
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    noahcrash wrote:
    All the interesting conversations here!! Its great. I did want to put out there that I love Hal Sparks and he is great as Michael. All I was saying is I have NEVER saw an interview of his where he did not offer up the statement he is straight. He over does it! And not just when hes asked. More than often, HE brings it up!! He should read the old short story "A Slander"!

Well you know I always try and think of it like this, most actors when they join a series always prepare for what will happen if the series bombs or gets cancelled right away. But I don't think many are actually totally prepared for when a show becomes a huge success and gets a lot press, and it becomes one of the things they are most recognized for. So when QAF took off the way it did I doubt all the actors were prepared for the show to be so embraced, considering how easily it could have tanked. So to be so associated with just one role you've done over the course of your whole career, especially a role from a television series which can be very hard to escape for some actors, might make certain actors/actresses prickly about the role. I think maybe Hal felt that way about Michael because he always seemed to get very defensive when the character (or the show) was brought up in an interview, he would always sound very surprised by the attention he got from fans because of the role, and honestly being so recognized for just one thing when you've had more then one job would probably be a little daunting and frustrating.

But maybe I'm giving Hal to make credit. I don't know. I just tend to think that his constant clarification that he was in fact straight had more to do with escaping from the role of Michael and being recognized for other things then it had to do with him just pointing out that he was not gay But like I said who knows.

Thats a great point too. I think we're both a little right!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[42]May 29, 2007
    • level: 34
    noahcrash wrote:
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    noahcrash wrote:
    All the interesting conversations here!! Its great. I did want to put out there that I love Hal Sparks and he is great as Michael. All I was saying is I have NEVER saw an interview of his where he did not offer up the statement he is straight. He over does it! And not just when hes asked. More than often, HE brings it up!! He should read the old short story "A Slander"!

Well you know I always try and think of it like this, most actors when they join a series always prepare for what will happen if the series bombs or gets cancelled right away. But I don't think many are actually totally prepared for when a show becomes a huge success and gets a lot press, and it becomes one of the things they are most recognized for. So when QAF took off the way it did I doubt all the actors were prepared for the show to be so embraced, considering how easily it could have tanked. So to be so associated with just one role you've done over the course of your whole career, especially a role from a television series which can be very hard to escape for some actors, might make certain actors/actresses prickly about the role. I think maybe Hal felt that way about Michael because he always seemed to get very defensive when the character (or the show) was brought up in an interview, he would always sound very surprised by the attention he got from fans because of the role, and honestly being so recognized for just one thing when you've had more then one job would probably be a little daunting and frustrating.

But maybe I'm giving Hal to make credit. I don't know. I just tend to think that his constant clarification that he was in fact straight had more to do with escaping from the role of Michael and being recognized for other things then it had to do with him just pointing out that he was not gay But like I said who knows.

Thats a great point too. I think we're both a little right!!

I like the sound of that.

hudsonlife

[43]May 30, 2007
    • level: 1
    I know Gale doesn't talk about his private life too much, but i was wondering if he did in fact date Michelle Cluine?  I've heard both yes and no.  Also has anyone ever gone to any of the Babylon tours? A friend and I are going to be in Vegas the weekend it is there and was wondering if it is worth going to.  I am assuming it is just a recreation of the club on the show. 

SMGslayer97

[44]May 30, 2007
    hudsonlife wrote:
    I know Gale doesn't talk about his private life too much, but i was wondering if he did in fact date Michelle Cluine?  I've heard both yes and no.  Also has anyone ever gone to any of the Babylon tours? A friend and I are going to be in Vegas the weekend it is there and was wondering if it is worth going to.  I am assuming it is just a recreation of the club on the show. 

I don't know about Michelle and Gale, that might just be a rumor stemming from them both working on not only the same show but also the movie they did together. But anything is possible.

twins1729

[45]May 31, 2007
    • level: 13

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    hudsonlife wrote:
    I don't know about Michelle and Gale, that might just be a rumor stemming from them both working on not only the same show but also the movie they did together. But anything is possible.

I've actually heard this rumor in numerous places as well, but I can't confirm it either.

SMGslayer97

[46]Jun 1, 2007
    twins1729 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    hudsonlife wrote:

I've actually heard this rumor in numerous places as well, but I can't confirm it either.

Honestly when it comes to rumors like this it usually seems to be just taken way out of context or just a plain out lie but there are a few times when they turn out to be true. I just can't wrap my mind around it, Mel and Brian? That's just seems wrong on like nineteen different levels.

twins1729

[47]Jun 1, 2007
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    twins1729 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    hudsonlife wrote:

Honestly when it comes to rumors like this it usually seems to be just taken way out of context or just a plain out lie but there are a few times when they turn out to be true. I just can't wrap my mind around it, Mel and Brian? That's just seems wrong on like nineteen different levels.

I completely agree. I need to hear it from them for me to believe it 100 percent.

SMGslayer97

[48]Jun 2, 2007
    twins1729 wrote:
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    twins1729 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    hudsonlife wrote:

I completely agree. I need to hear it from them for me to believe it 100 percent.

Exactly, I mean you just never know until you hear it from the actors mouths. Then you can believe it.

hudsonlife

[49]Jun 26, 2007
    Just got done watching the pride parade episode, and didn't realize how good Hal looked as a women. I thought he looked like Sandra Bullock.

SMGslayer97

[50]Jun 26, 2007
    hudsonlife wrote:
    Just got done watching the pride parade episode, and didn't realize how good Hal looked as a women. I thought he looked like Sandra Bullock.

Well I don't know about Sandra Bullock, I'll halfta rewatch, but like I said I thought he looked really good. I was surprised because I'm not usually a fan of blondes.

PoohBear73

[51]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 4
    I have to say thank you for bringing this thread back to the top. I checked out some of the clips on youtube and need to see more. I love the one with Randy whispering I love you to Gale. That was cute! And Peter looks so different with his hair and glasses.

hudsonlife

[52]Jul 1, 2007
    I need to check out that interview. Sounds like it was a interesting one. She was the first person i thought of when i saw michael funny since i don't think she has ever been a blonde

hudsonlife

[53]Aug 28, 2007
    Just got done looking at the interview. I love his smile!! It sounds like Randy says I love you, but why would Gale say he couldn't repeat that? I would love to see the whole interview but it took me 10 minutes to download the 51 seconds of that one, i will have to wait until i get DSL.

twins1729

[54]Aug 29, 2007
    Gale was just kidding when he said he couldn't repeat that Randy said I love you.

hudsonlife

[55]Nov 19, 2007
    I don't know if anybody saw this or not, but Gale is going to be on Grey's Anatomy this thursday night on ABC 9/8C. Never watched the show before but i am going to stay up and watch it before i go to work that night.

SMGslayer97

[56]Nov 19, 2007
    AHHHHHH! I hate Grey's but but but...I love Gale! Conflict. Argh.

duit83

[57]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 26

SMGslayer97 wrote:

Same here

But it's Gale! And he's finally back on screen - hooray!

SMGslayer97

[58]Nov 21, 2007
    duit83 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote:

Same here

But it's Gale! And he's finally back on screen - hooray!

I know we've waited so long but but but...did it halfta to be Grey's! Well then again being on show that's so popular in the main stream might finally get him all the recognition he has long deserved.

luvstoned21

[59]Nov 26, 2007
    • level: 2
    I thought Larry King was somewhat attacking the show too. You could totally tell he had his reservations about it. And when the critic came on and the producers/writers were defending the show, Larry pipes up and defends the critic and says "well he's entitled to his opinion..." It's like.. Larry don't have them on your show if you can't be open minded about it. I thought he was such a douche after watching that.

hudsonlife

[60]Dec 1, 2007
    I agree. The man, boy thing was ridiculous!! Like he has never went out and drank with his friends or had sex before! I never once heard anything said about my mom being 11 years younger then my dad what is so different?