Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

Memorable Lines you've heard on Q.A.F

h2opixel

[1]Dec 5, 2006
    • level: 6
    Mine was when Michael told Tracy why he didn't told her that he was gay

Michael : When you spend ur entire life keeping it a secret who you really are, u learn to stop trusting ppl & it become 2nd nature.

I find it to be very profound and somehow describes cleary why people fear on telling people who the really are. Especially in a world where people judges you, and how they react, sometimes you just wish you could just keep the secret to yourself, where in the end you start to not trust people cos you never know how they react to what you been keeping to urself. It is a painful process of keeping the secret to urself, but it became a 2nd nature to make urself not being hurt by the people.
    Edited on 12/05/2006 11:57pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tessa_Patton

[2]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 7
    I've found that line quite touching. I know people who have to live a kind of second life to keep their real life secret

seanc6117

[3]Dec 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    I remember that episode and that line.  I've never thought of it that way, but you're right, it really is that way sometimes.  Truly a profound line...thanks for reminding me of it.

twins1729

[4]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 13

Emmet: [on coming out] Why tell anyone? Why lose everything when it can just be your little secret? You see, it was different for me. Everyone could tell who I was from the start and it didn't make my life any easier. I've been beaten up, cursed at, spit on, ignored... but in a way it was worth it. Because I have never had to live a lie and I'm not about to start now. Not for you, not for anyone.

SMGslayer97

[5]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 34
    Brian: I'm queer And to anyone who takes pity or offense, I say "judge yourself". This is where I live. This is who I am. I particularly love this statement and love how Brian says it. No apologies, no regrets. Just like always.

thekapuler

[6]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 3
    twins1729 wrote:

Emmet: [on coming out] Why tell anyone? Why lose everything when it can just be your little secret? You see, it was different for me. Everyone could tell who I was from the start and it didn't make my life any easier. I've been beaten up, cursed at, spit on, ignored... but in a way it was worth it. Because I have never had to live a lie and I'm not about to start now. Not for you, not for anyone.

can you please remind me, who he was speaking  to and in what ep.?

foreverbm

[7]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 5
    It was episode 412 and he was speaking to Drew Boyd

Donna48

[8]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 12

Ben, is my favorite character and there have been so many memorable lines ...  I was going to post what Ben said to Michael at the end of episode 306, but there is a lot of profanity, and even if I block out some of the letters, I wasn't sure if it was OK to post it here? So, instead, I included the following:

Ben: (Michael tells Ben he will find the right words to tell Hunter that, he is positive. The following is Ben's reply)

"There are no right words to ... take away the one illusion every kid is entitled to...his invincibility ... His immortality." (from episode 310) 

SMGslayer97

[9]Mar 11, 2007
    Donna48 wrote:

Ben, is my favorite character and there have been so many memorable lines ...  I was going to post what Ben said to Michael at the end of episode 306, but there is a lot of profanity, and even if I block out some of the letters, I wasn't sure if it was OK to post it here? So, instead, I included the following:

Ben: (Michael tells Ben he will find the right words to tell Hunter that, he is positive. The following is Ben's reply)

"There are no right words to ... take away the one illusion every kid is entitled to...his invincibility ... His immortality." (from episode 310) 

I remember thinking how awful it was that Hunter had to deal with this at such a young age but also how lucky he was to have stumbled upon someone like Ben who could understand better then anyone.

bbmmanyoo

[10]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 5

For me one of the most significant that really sums up QAF and really the world and all of it prejudice was in season one when Brian took Justin back to his parents.  His dad(such a great guy) was telling him to live at home he needed to stop seeing Brian and basically be straight.  I can't repeat it verbatim, but basically Brian told Justin's dad that to live there he had to deny who he was, how he felt and live the way his dad wanted him to, and then he said that's not love that's hate.  Very powerful.

Donna48

[11]Mar 12, 2007

SMGslayer97 wrote: I remember thinking how awful it was that Hunter had to deal with this at such a young age but also how lucky he was to have stumbled upon someone like Ben who could understand better then anyone.

Yes, it was really terrible and Hunter was trying to be so nonchalant, but you could tell it really shocked him to hear the news. I agree that he was lucky to have found Ben, because he really did know what Hunter was going through.

Here is another scene that had me crying my eyes out. Scott Lowell was wonderful!

Ted: (talking to Emmett) I think God appreciates it even more because He created you in His image. At leats that's what I was always taught. And since God is love and God doesn't make mistakes, then you must be exactly the way he wants you to be, the way he intended you to be. And that goes for every person, every planet, every mountain, every grain of sand, every song, every tear and every **** We're all His, Emmett. He loves us all

Donna48

[12]Mar 12, 2007
    bbmmanyoo wrote:

For me one of the most significant that really sums up QAF and really the world and all of it prejudice was in season one when Brian took Justin back to his parents.  His dad(such a great guy) was telling him to live at home he needed to stop seeing Brian and basically be straight.  I can't repeat it verbatim, but basically Brian told Justin's dad that to live there he had to deny who he was, how he felt and live the way his dad wanted him to, and then he said that's not love that's hate.  Very powerful.

I remember that scene and I totally agree with you, bbmmanyoo! It was really powerful! I couldn't stand Justin's father. He was such a jerk!

SMGslayer97

[13]Mar 13, 2007
    Donna48 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote: I remember thinking how awful it was that Hunter had to deal with this at such a young age but also how lucky he was to have stumbled upon someone like Ben who could understand better then anyone.

Yes, it was really terrible and Hunter was trying to be so nonchalant, but you could tell it really shocked him to hear the news. I agree that he was lucky to have found Ben, because he really did know what Hunter was going through.

Here is another scene that had me crying my eyes out. Scott Lowell was wonderful!

Ted: (talking to Emmett) I think God appreciates it even more because He created you in His image. At leats that's what I was always taught. And since God is love and God doesn't make mistakes, then you must be exactly the way he wants you to be, the way he intended you to be. And that goes for every person, every planet, every mountain, every grain of sand, every song, every tear and every **** We're all His, Emmett. He loves us all

For some reason that reminds me of the scene between Brian and Emmett in season 3 where Emmett begs Brian to help Ted, which I think already may have been discussed here but I had to bring it up again.

Donna48

[14]Mar 15, 2007

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    For some reason that reminds me of the scene between Brian and Emmett in season 3 where Emmett begs Brian to help Ted, which I think already may have been discussed here but I had to bring it up again.

OHHHHHHH that's another one of my favorite scenes! Peter Paige was fantastic that one! I mean I think that was one of his best moments on the show.

SMGslayer97

[15]Mar 15, 2007
    Donna48 wrote:

SMGslayer97 wrote:

OHHHHHHH that's another one of my favorite scenes! Peter Paige was fantastic that one! I mean I think that was one of his best moments on the show.

Same here, I mean the first time I saw it (and even sometimes now rewatching it) he almost brings me to tears.

Donna48

[16]Mar 16, 2007

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Same here, I mean the first time I saw it (and even sometimes now rewatching it) he almost brings me to tears.

Me too! He has that little catch in his voice that gets me every time I watch that scene. Peter Paige is just so great. Em is my favorite character right after Ben.Then it's Michael, Brian, Justin, Ted, Debbie, Vic and the girls.

twins1729

[17]Mar 18, 2007
    thekapuler wrote:
    twins1729 wrote:

I believe he was speaking to Drew in the episode in season 4 when they broke up, but I could be waaaaay off.

Gosh darn it, I'll have to put another quote some other time, I can't think of a good one.

SMGslayer97

[18]Mar 18, 2007
    twins1729 wrote:
    thekapuler wrote:
    twins1729 wrote:

I believe he was speaking to Drew in the episode in season 4 when they broke up, but I could be waaaaay off.

Gosh darn it, I'll have to put another quote some other time, I can't think of a good one.

It is Drew.

angel12884

[19]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 6

Remember ep.512 when Brian & Justin's wedding invitations reaches everyone? the way they all react is just hilarious, especially Deb when she goes:

~~There's only one explanation, he must've knocked up sunshine~~~~

& Emmet gives her that look!! OMG, it kills me everytime i see it!! i have to pause for 5 minutes after that scene to get myself to stop laughing like crazy. & try explaining the joke to your mother when she comes in asking what's so funny!! lmao (i'm a straight girl by the way, but QAF is so damn HOT!)

twins1729

[20]Mar 22, 2007
    angel12884 wrote:

Remember ep.512 when Brian & Justin's wedding invitations reaches everyone? the way they all react is just hilarious, especially Deb when she goes:

~~There's only one explanation, he must've knocked up sunshine~~~~

& Emmet gives her that look!! OMG, it kills me everytime i see it!! i have to pause for 5 minutes after that scene to get myself to stop laughing like crazy. & try explaining the joke to your mother when she comes in asking what's so funny!! lmao (i'm a straight girl by the way, but QAF is so damn HOT!)

I always thought they did that as a shout-out to MPreg fans. LOL.