Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

My thoughts on the series finale

PoohBear73

[1]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 4

So, I finally saw the series finale. I've been anticipating yet dreading it. I knew what happened from reading reviews, but I had yet to experience it myself. I really wanted to see for myself how it always played out, but I was still hoping Brian and Justin would end up together and we could see it. We know that didn't happen on the show, but for us B/J fans, we know they eventually find their way back to each other. They have to. You can see in their goodbye how much they love and need each other. I mean, Brian is the one who urgently pulls Justin in for a kiss before they make love for the final time. And the look on Brian's face before they fall asleep and Justin is just gone. It breaks my heart. It shows us for the last time how much Brian really loves Justin and how much he got under his skin. Justin's love for Brian was never a question which is why I haven't commented on him. I know he will always love Brian and will make sure he ends up with him for life. And I'm seriously jealous of Brian and Michael's friendship. I wish I had a friend like that in my life. I mean after all they've been through, no matter what, they're still there for each other and you know they always will be. My heart started breaking from the very first scene cause I knew how the whole thing ended, but I really didn't start balling until Mel and Lyns said goodbye and Lyns and Brian had their moment. And then I couldn't stop until it was over. I don't know what it is about those 2, but they get to me. Maybe it's the depth of their friendship, too. I mean in ep 512, I cried because of 2 simple lines, "I don't want you to go Wendy", "I have to Peter". Anyway, this is about ep 513, and I know it ended the way it should, pretty much the way it began, but I still wish we could've seen a happy Brian and Justin wedding even if they had to go years into the future. LOL! Now I'll be watching everything over and over again to take in everything and find new things I didn't notice the first time around. I wish I could've watched it when it was originally aired, but I'm glad a friend introduced me to this series and that I got to see it. Everyone needs a little QAF in their life.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

shesopaque

[2]Oct 11, 2007
    • level: 1
    i can't watch it again. The ending ruined the whole series for me.

SMGslayer97

[3]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 34
    PoohBear I do think you echoed pretty much what most fans thought about the series finale. Despite the fact that we would have liked to see Justin and Brian together in the end the series did end the way it should of, sort of where it began. We learned a long time ago that despite all of Brian's opinions about love he did love Justin, just as much as Justin loved him, and in the end they will eventually find their way back to one another even if we didn't get to see it on screen. I mean they always managed to find their way back to another over the course of the series, why should now be any different?

I was pretty much crying from beginning of the episode till the end, at the start it was obviously because it was the last episode but by the end everything was just so sad...and...oh man I'm getting tear-y eyed now. Seriously sad stuff. Lindsey and Brian's goodbye was really sweet and sad too. Something about the two of them always gets me.

Donna48

[4]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 12

SMGslayer97 wrote:
    I was pretty much crying from beginning of the episode till the end, at the start it was obviously because it was the last episode but by the end everything was just so sad...and...oh man I'm getting tear-y eyed now. Seriously sad stuff. Lindsey and Brian's goodbye was really sweet and sad too. Something about the two of them always gets me.

Wow! I was the same way!I cried all the way through it! I loved the ending! I think it is one of the best endings to a series that I've seen in a long time. I know some people were upset that B/J didn't end up together, but the fact that Brian kept the rings, really leads me to believe that they will get back together when the time is right for both of them.I loved that Ted, Blake and Emmettare happy and of course that Ben and Michael adopted Hunter. I have been disappointed in so many of the seriesendings of shows that I really loved, (Highlander, Beauty and the Beast, and La Femme Nikita to name a few.) that I was very happy with they way they ended this one! It's right up with there with the series ender of Felicity, which I just loved!

ntashu

[5]Jun 18, 2009
    I love watching all the seasons again and again, but not season 5.
    Its too sad.....
    I had hoped for a happy ending....

But I guess to show Brian getting married, would have not done justice to his charcter....it had to end this way....
    STILL I WISH IT HAD'NT.

SMGslayer97

[6]Jun 18, 2009
    ntashu wrote:
    I love watching all the seasons again and again, but not season 5.
    Its too sad.....
    I had hoped for a happy ending....

But I guess to show Brian getting married, would have not done justice to his charcter....it had to end this way....
    STILL I WISH IT HAD'NT.

In a way we had a happy ending. I mean even though Justin left he and Brian were in a sense together still (no matter how you view their last scenes it's not as though they broke up). There was a time when the last thing Brian ever would have done was stick with someone for more then five minutes let alone five years. And he and Justin were together for something like five years, who's to say five more weren't coming just because they didn't get married then and there. Brian didn't return the rings after all and even if they never got married who's to say they didn't see one another again after all it's only time and that's always been on their side.

ntashu

[7]Jun 19, 2009
    the Ring scene was definately an indication of whats to come.Justin did go to LA and come back!
    Maybe I was too depressed while watching season 5 knowing that there was no more to come....

SMGslayer97

[8]Jun 19, 2009
    ntashu wrote:
    the Ring scene was definately an indication of whats to come.Justin did go to LA and come back!
    Maybe I was too depressed while watching season 5 knowing that there was no more to come....

Oh believe me when the episode first aired I cried buckets and was so sad but when you have time to process the finale you realize not only was it actually a happy ending but a true to character ending, Brian was still Brian but he had grown and did come to love Justin so it's all just how you look at it and how you look at things to come (though we don't get to see them).

I so think the show had one more year in it though! That's what make me the saddest.

Madelynn1984

[9]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 6

Just re-watched the whole series again, and I think the ending was as good as could be hoped for, though it did feel a little rushed. Brian and Justin getting married and moving to the country would have been ridulous, or dare I say, "ridiculously romantic". Still, I could have done with a little more info on Justin's plans for NYC and their future plans to see eachother. Honestly, there's no real reason why Justin couldn't have done his art from West Virginia. He could have gone to NY whenever he had a show. I think their not getting married had more to do with preserving Brian as he had always been. I also might have enjoyed seeing more on the living situation for Mel and Linds. As I learn more about the world, I find that even though certain places in Canada and Western Europe seem more gay-friendly than here in the USA, individual people aren't as much more accepting as one would think. I'm not convinced that dropping their whole lives and moving would improve their safety or degree of acceptance. I would additionally not have minded a more explicit or involved reunion scene for Ted and Blake. I think it was an excellent choice to have them re-connect, but there could have been more to it. I wish they wouldn't have included Emmet's old HS friend in the last Bablylon scene. Who the **** is he? No one! They should have had Emmet dancing with Debbie, Vic, Drew, or even George Schickle at the end. I mean, it was just a fantasy scene, so they could have included "dead" characters. Looking back on the series, the least emotionally fulfilling story-line is Emmet's. They don't have him ending up with anyone, and they never put him with anyone realistic. He dated a really old guy, his best friend, and an in-the-closest football star. He never really dated anyone that could have ever worked. Anyway, I join the ranks of people who thought the ending was fine, but could barely stand it at the same time, because I could barely believe it was the end.

SMGslayer97

[10]Aug 16, 2009
    I think Emm's end made the most sense in a way because they had their big reunion with Mel and Linds, they big seperation with Brian and Justin, they're family sotry line with Ben and Michael and their surprise reunion with Ted and Blake. They needed someone to have a more open ended not so 'series finale' kind of ending aka a big moment just a natural place you might find the character at any point in the series.