Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

The Future of Brian and Justin

  • Avatar of rewindyourtime

    rewindyourtime

    [1]Apr 15, 2007
    • member since: 03/22/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 8

    (This isn't really a topic, I guess.  I just wanted to write my thoughts about what happened after Justin left for New York.) 

    I have a lot of problems with the series finale.  But the thing that gets me the most is what happened between Brian and Justin.  Now I agree that they shouldn't get married (at least, at this time) because Brian wouldn't be entirely happy and Justin hasn't entirely discovered himself yet.  But Brian also isn't entirely happy without Justin.  In fact, I'd say he's more happy with Justin, in any way he can get him, than without him.  Yet it seems that the writers don't agree with me, but screw them.  I'll make up my own ending.  Since I hated the series finale and the way the writers decided to end things between Brian and Justin, I am writing what I think happened after Justin left for New York:

    After several years of painting in New York, Justin finally receives the fame and acclaim he deserves.  He's doing incredibly well, and is happy that he's finally able to support himself.

    Meanwhile, Brian's business in Pittsburgh is booming, and he decides to expand (under the counsel of Ted).  Where to expand?  New York, of course.  Despite his outward calm and cool appearance, Brian never got over Justin, and let's face it, he never will.  He's his soulmate for crap's sake. 

    Justin, meanwhile, has maintained the same feelings for Brian that he's always had.  From the first moment he saw Brian outside Babylon, he knew. 

    Since I'm not a writer, I'll just cut to the ending.  Brian goes to New York to set up Kinnetik.  At this point, he's still deciding whether he'll relocate to New York with the business, or stay in Pittsburgh.  In New York, he reunites with Justin (and it's freaking hot, by the way).  In the few months it takes to set up the business, Brian and Justin fall in love with each other more strongly than ever.  They even frequent the gay clubs together in typical Brian fashion.  Justin, being a successful artist, and having made an obscene amount of money, decides he wants to move back to Pittsburgh where he can work on his art.  Because, despite the glamour of New York, it's not his home and it's not where his friends are.  Brian, in turn, decides to return to Pittburgh for the same reasons (surprise surprise!), in addition to the fact that he never wants to lose Justin again.

    Arrive Pittsburgh!  And get this, Brian and Justin decide to get married (and it actually happens this time!).  But it's a marriage with a twist.  Since neither Justin nor Brian want to be without one another, both are willing to reach a compromise where their marriage is concerned.  They can have extra-marital relations, as long as they had them together.  Justin finally realized that, after being in New York, Brian is the one he wants even in spite of their differences.  And he rather enjoys spicing their sex life up, as long as he and Brian do it together.  And Brian is more than willing!  They have two homes now:  the loft and the country house in West Virginia, to satisfy all their needs.  Don't forget about Babylon.  It's been revived, and Brian, Justin, Michael, Ben, Emmett, Ted, the football star and the tweaked-out twinkie all dance to the thumpa thumpa together.

    The point is, Brian and Justin end up together.  Which is how it should be.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [2]Apr 15, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    Well, I am happy with how they ended things because as you said it just wasn't time for them to be married yet. And even though Brian isn't really truly happy without Brian and Justin's better when he is with Brian I think that in the end they do end up together. We just don't get to see it.

    Brian says that wether they see eachother next weekend, next month, or never again it doesn't matter because it's only time. Which is pretty has pretty much worked in favor of their relationship even through the bad times. It took Brian lots of time to finally be with Justin and more importantly want to be with him, it took time for Justin to really realize Brian offered Justin much more then Ethan ever did, and it took Brian time to really say that he loved Justin. Time was always sort of on their side and I like to think that it'll stay on their side but as I said we just don't have the good fortune to see it. Sad.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of siomay

    siomay

    [3]Apr 18, 2007
    • member since: 03/25/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 12
    Well, so far I enjoy what happened two them. I don't care if they would get married or not, but the point is Mr. Kinney had already showed how much he love Justin from 2nd season to the finale. Even if he didn't make any statement about his love, we all could see his love showered to Justin. So when they decided to break up their engagement, still I believe that their love's stronger than what we're seeing. What I want is I can see this kind of love ( in gay couple's life of course ) in my real life. Anyone had seen "BJ's love" in your real life?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bbmmanyoo

    bbmmanyoo

    [4]Apr 18, 2007
    • member since: 09/20/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 51
    Brian letting Justin go shows more true unselfish love than any other kind. When Brian was with Justin, then Justin knew he wanted to be there with him. That is why Ethan would never last, he promised and couldn't deliver. Brian was so honest. Very hard to deal with in real life.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lreese

    lreese

    [5]Apr 19, 2007
    • member since: 04/11/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 55
    hi iam new to tv.com and new to this forum. i just have to say i love brain and justin, one of the hottest couples ever!! the way the series ended was great, it made me cry because during the whole show all i wanted to see was them together and when it finally happened the way i wanted it to it just wasnt the right time which sucked!! but i do like to believe that they are together now. brian dancing at babylon with a black sleavless butten up shirt and justin next to him in a cute pair of jeans
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lreese

    lreese

    [6]Apr 19, 2007
    • member since: 04/11/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 55
    hi iam new to tv.com and new to this forum. i just have to say i love brain and justin, one of the hottest couples ever!! the way the series ended was great, it made me cry because during the whole show all i wanted to see was them together and when it finally happened the way i wanted it to it just wasnt the right time which sucked!! but i do like to believe that they are together now. brian dancing at babylon with a black sleavless button up shirt and justin next to him in a cute pair of jeans
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lreese

    lreese

    [7]Apr 19, 2007
    • member since: 04/11/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 55
    sorry i must have clicked to many times
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Zodiac32

    Zodiac32

    [8]Apr 19, 2007
    • member since: 04/14/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 10
    In my mind, when Justin leaves for New York... it's really the end of their relationship altogether. I don't see Justin coming back, or Brian chasing after him or anything like that. It's a really sad thought and I really wish the series hadn't ended the way it did, but I suppose that's the way the BrianxJustin ball bounces.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rewindyourtime

    rewindyourtime

    [9]Apr 20, 2007
    • member since: 03/22/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 8

    I wholeheartedly disagree with the Zodiac32 person.  Justin wasn't completely happy with Brian for the sole reason that he hadn't discovered himself as an individual yet.  When he discovered and first experienced his sexuality, Brian was a part of it, and he had always been a part of it since then.  Justin, like many people in the world, needed to discover himself on his own before he settled down and before he could be completely happy.  Having said that, Justin will never love anyone like he loves Brian.  So, after finding himself in New York, Justin will unquestionably return home to Brian.  Because as much as he needs to define himself as an individual, he won't be complete without Brian. 

     They end up together, and that's all there is to it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lreese

    lreese

    [10]Apr 20, 2007
    • member since: 04/11/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 55
    i couldnt have said it better myself!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [11]Apr 20, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    lreese wrote:
    i couldnt have said it better myself!!!


    Agreed, that was perfect.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Zodiac32

    Zodiac32

    [12]Apr 21, 2007
    • member since: 04/14/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 10
    *applauds rewindyourtime* Very nice. You could change my opinion yet.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PoohBear73

    PoohBear73

    [13]Jul 10, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 15
    rewindyourtime wrote:

    I wholeheartedly disagree with the Zodiac32 person.  Justin wasn't completely happy with Brian for the sole reason that he hadn't discovered himself as an individual yet.  When he discovered and first experienced his sexuality, Brian was a part of it, and he had always been a part of it since then.  Justin, like many people in the world, needed to discover himself on his own before he settled down and before he could be completely happy.  Having said that, Justin will never love anyone like he loves Brian.  So, after finding himself in New York, Justin will unquestionably return home to Brian.  Because as much as he needs to define himself as an individual, he won't be complete without Brian. 

     They end up together, and that's all there is to it.



    I finally made it to the very end of this series and I totally agree with you. They can't not end up together. They were made for each other and I know they do.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of twins1729

    twins1729

    [14]Jul 11, 2007
    • member since: 12/25/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 995
    PoohBear73 wrote:
    rewindyourtime wrote:

    I wholeheartedly disagree with the Zodiac32 person. Justin wasn't completely happy with Brian for the sole reason that he hadn't discovered himself as an individual yet. When he discovered and first experienced his sexuality, Brian was a part of it, and he had always been a part of it since then. Justin, like many people in the world, needed to discover himself on his own before he settled down and before he could be completely happy. Having said that, Justin will never love anyone like he loves Brian. So, after finding himself in New York, Justin will unquestionably return home to Brian. Because as much as he needs to define himself as an individual, he won't be complete without Brian.

    They end up together, and that's all there is to it.

    I finally made it to the very end of this series and I totally agree with you. They can't not end up together. They were made for each other and I know they do.

    I agree with the both of you. Brian and Justin are made for each other and I will believe until the day I die that they ended up together and that they're still together in the QAF universe.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [15]Jul 11, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    twins1729 wrote:
    PoohBear73 wrote:
    rewindyourtime wrote:

    I wholeheartedly disagree with the Zodiac32 person. Justin wasn't completely happy with Brian for the sole reason that he hadn't discovered himself as an individual yet. When he discovered and first experienced his sexuality, Brian was a part of it, and he had always been a part of it since then. Justin, like many people in the world, needed to discover himself on his own before he settled down and before he could be completely happy. Having said that, Justin will never love anyone like he loves Brian. So, after finding himself in New York, Justin will unquestionably return home to Brian. Because as much as he needs to define himself as an individual, he won't be complete without Brian.

    They end up together, and that's all there is to it.

    I finally made it to the very end of this series and I totally agree with you. They can't not end up together. They were made for each other and I know they do.

    I agree with the both of you. Brian and Justin are made for each other and I will believe until the day I die that they ended up together and that they're still together in the QAF universe.



    As twins knows, that's the way I see it as well. I mean over the course of the entire series despite Brian not wanting to be in a relationship, Justin leaving Brian for Ethan, Brian pushing Justin away when he was diagnosed with cancer, and Justin leaving because he and Brian both wanted different things they always managed to find their way back together with time. And that's the way I always take the final scene of the finale. Just because we don't get to doesn't mean that in time they won't get back together. I think the entire series is evidence to the contrary considering how anti-relationship Brian was at the start of their relationship. I mean they ended up engaged for goodness sake, irreguardless of the fact that they didn't go through with it in the end I for one think that it was a good indication of how far they came as a couple.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Egu022

    Egu022

    [16]Jul 27, 2007
    • member since: 07/28/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    I couldn't agree more. It would make no sense at all saying that in a post-season 5 universe Brian and Justin would not end up together. Then I just have to ask: Why would they not?Because they don't loveeach other? Or they like to torture themselves emotionally so they stay apart?They're soulmates and it's not like they live in opposite ends of the world..it's NY and Pittsburgh for christ sake

    Sorry, butwhy wouldthe writers build the storyline to the climax at the end only to have them part never to see each other again? What I figure from the ending is that Justin got what he wanted from Brian; he got to know that he loves him and wishes to have a future together with him. Brian also got what he wanted; the reassurance that he does not have to change for Justin to love him and wanting to be with him. That's why he reopens Babylon and continues to be 'the king of Pittsburgh'. When Brian says time doesn't matter it's because they both know they love each other AND have a future together...when the time is right for both of them.

    Another interpretation of the ending makes no sense..at least not to me

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PoohBear73

    PoohBear73

    [17]Jul 28, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 15
    Egu022 wrote:

    I couldn't agree more. It would make no sense at all saying that in a post-season 5 universe Brian and Justin would not end up together. Then I just have to ask: Why would they not?Because they don't loveeach other? Or they like to torture themselves emotionally so they stay apart?They're soulmates and it's not like they live in opposite ends of the world..it's NY and Pittsburgh for christ sake

    Sorry, butwhy wouldthe writers build the storyline to the climax at the end only to have them part never to see each other again? What I figure from the ending is that Justin got what he wanted from Brian; he got to know that he loves him and wishes to have a future together with him. Brian also got what he wanted; the reassurance that he does not have to change for Justin to love him and wanting to be with him. That's why he reopens Babylon and continues to be 'the king of Pittsburgh'. When Brian says time doesn't matter it's because they both know they love each other AND have a future together...when the time is right for both of them.

    Another interpretation of the ending makes no sense..at least not to me



    Beautifully said and I totally agree! The world would not just be right if they didn't end up together.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [18]Jul 28, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    PoohBear73 wrote:
    Egu022 wrote:

    I couldn't agree more. It would make no sense at all saying that in a post-season 5 universe Brian and Justin would not end up together. Then I just have to ask: Why would they not?Because they don't loveeach other? Or they like to torture themselves emotionally so they stay apart?They're soulmates and it's not like they live in opposite ends of the world..it's NY and Pittsburgh for christ sake

    Sorry, butwhy wouldthe writers build the storyline to the climax at the end only to have them part never to see each other again? What I figure from the ending is that Justin got what he wanted from Brian; he got to know that he loves him and wishes to have a future together with him. Brian also got what he wanted; the reassurance that he does not have to change for Justin to love him and wanting to be with him. That's why he reopens Babylon and continues to be 'the king of Pittsburgh'. When Brian says time doesn't matter it's because they both know they love each other AND have a future together...when the time is right for both of them.

    Another interpretation of the ending makes no sense..at least not to me



    Beautifully said and I totally agree! The world would not just be right if they didn't end up together.


    I agree and I sort of always thought that the reason that they ended the series with them together was the same reason why they continued to break them up. Despite endless breakups they always found their way back to one another, even when they weren't technicly a couple in the first season. And I don't think the series finale is any different, we just don't happen to get to see it on screen.

    If you listen to what Brian says about time, "Whether we see each other next weekend or next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time. I think that kind of says it best. They never had a problem with time and they always worked things out with time, had the series continued the same thing would have happened again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shesopaque

    shesopaque

    [19]Oct 11, 2007
    • member since: 10/12/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5
    i agree. it's over for them. The stupid writers just HAD to ruin it. I can't think of ONE good reason why they ended the series like that. Not one. Age difference, Justin's oppotunity, Brian's ways, and yes okay it just wasn't time for marriage. I understand all of those things but to leave it so bluntly without giving us hope they get back together. Keeping the rings says nothing. It was such a terrible ending. I cried my eyes out. I am still pissed
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SMGslayer97

    SMGslayer97

    [20]Oct 12, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 34
    • rank: Wardrobe Malfunction
    • posts: 9,573
    I don't think the writers ruined it at all. For me, like I've said before, I think the reasom they ended the series that way between Brian and Justin was because they always found their way back to one another, even when they weren't technically a couple in the first season. And I don't think the series finale is any different, we just don't happen to get to see it on screen. It had nothing to do with age difference, Justin's oppurtunity's, Brian's ways, or the fact that it wasn't the right time for them to be married. Yes all those things are true but I honestly don't think that's why they broke them up in the end.

    Like I said if you listen to what Brian says about time, "Whether we see each other next weekend or next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time." I think that kind of says it best. They never had a problem with time and they always worked things out with time, had the series continued the same thing would have happened again. And by the way keeping the rings says a lot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.