Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

The Future of Brian and Justin

shesopaque

[21]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 1

I wish i agreed. If I agreed I'd buy the whole series like i planned to and I'd start watching it over again right now. But I just don't get it. I never once doubted they would end up together. It was just a matter of how and when. The overall feel of the ending got me. When Justin and Brian announced the marriage was off, why were they smiling? I didn't understand that. Brian changing himself for Justin confused me too.It just seemed like a mess. A train wreck. A very fast plan crash when you, moments ago, were soaring through the sky. I just was so taken aback. I kept waiting for Justin to show up at babylon while Brian was dancing. It just seemed so final. I took his comment of time to mean that the world doesn't stop for a broken heart. Keeping the rings to me meant just that... he kept them. Justin's response that they don't need rings to show they love to each other said it all to me. They were just rings. He didn't need to hang on to them. I dunno, the ending makes sense but after 5 seasons of such an up and down relationship couldn't they throw us a bone? Brianfell in love, admitted it, and matured. Excellent. That is the bright side to this tragic ending? Thank you Justin for opening my eyes now goodbye. I just wish there was something concrete making me believe they eventually got back together because in my mind i can picture Justin in new yorkwith another guy like the fiddler. Ugh. It's a terrible image. Time passes and passes and their love is not forgotten but it's no longer the same. It's just so horrible. I don't understand. I really, sadly, believe it was over for them. That is why I am so heartbroken. Brian even said if he sees Justin NEVER AGAIN it's only time. And the very ending, what in the world. The thumpa thumpa goes on. Is that supposed to make me feel better? Why couldn't they have had Justin say he wasn't ready for marriage and he needed to go to New York. Brian would agree and let him go. Justin would leave, the thumpa thumpa would go on and at the end we seeJUSTINhas kept the rings. That would be a clear cut sign to me and I would be so happy.Who cares if Brian keeps the rings? He's not the one going anywhere. Justin is the one out exploring things and possibly running into more fiddler guys. Yikes. What a mess. I rented the whole series from blockbuster and watched espisode after episode every night for two weeks and I loved it. But that ending has left me feeling so disappointed. I can't imagine watching the series again from start to finish knowing their relationship is doomed. Sheesh. My friends say i need to join a bowling league beause i am too hung up on this. I say, you watch to characters evolve and fall in love season by season just to separate in the end then you'll understand. Those Sex in the City fanatics have no idea.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

shesopaque

[22]Oct 12, 2007
    Egu022 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. It would make no sense at all saying that in a post-season 5 universe Brian and Justin would not end up together. Then I just have to ask: Why would they not?Because they don't loveeach other? Or they like to torture themselves emotionally so they stay apart?They're soulmates and it's not like they live in opposite ends of the world..it's NY and Pittsburgh for christ sake

Sorry, butwhy wouldthe writers build the storyline to the climax at the end only to have them part never to see each other again? What I figure from the ending is that Justin got what he wanted from Brian; he got to know that he loves him and wishes to have a future together with him. Brian also got what he wanted; the reassurance that he does not have to change for Justin to love him and wanting to be with him. That's why he reopens Babylon and continues to be 'the king of Pittsburgh'. When Brian says time doesn't matter it's because they both know they love each other AND have a future together...when the time is right for both of them.

Another interpretation of the ending makes no sense..at least not to me

I just thought of something. Maybe Ted and Blakes relationship is a hint to how soulmates can end up together in the end when the timing is right. Like Ted and Blake in their previous attempts to be together, Justin and Brian too are having to overcomethe bad timing of their relationship. The quote about time makes a little more sense to me now.However the "never again" part gives me shivers. Maybe, since B/J ARE soulmates theyend up together later on down the road when the timing is right.There is hopefor my negative perception of the ending at last!! You are all right. It just doesn't make sense for B/J not to be together. That is why I was so ticked. It just seemed so... wrong.I didn't get it. I think I get it now though. The timing was off. Justin needed to at least explore his talent. That makes sense.Damn is was a sad ending though. So so sad

rewindyourtime

[23]Oct 22, 2007
    • level: 7
    Bravo all of you who KNOW that Brian and Justin end up together!

duit83

[24]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 26

rewindyourtime wrote:
    Bravo all of you who KNOW that Brian and Justin end up together!

Of course they'll do!!!

djboy76

[25]Nov 12, 2007
    • level: 15
    The core of QAF is Brian and Michael, not Brian and Justin. They are the permanent relationship (and I don't mean romantic relationship). Lovers come and go, family is forever.

I would have been very annoyed if they had gone the route of "Justin fixes Brian", the Disney-esque, movie-of-the-week ".. unfreezees his heart and teaches him to love again..." sort of ending, because it undermines who Brian is, that there's something wrong with him, that everyone must live happily ever after with someone else and ride off into the sunset, otherwise they're not whole and are to be pitied and helped. They didn't say that they didn't love each other (in their own way), but that isn't all there is, and it's not always enough.

Personally, I subscribe to the Joss Whedon philosophy of story-telling; "give the viewers what they need, not what they want". The same idea that gave us the yearning brilliance of Buffy and Angel (among other arcs on their respective series) - two series that also left the ending open. By ending QAF as they did, with some loose ends hanging (eg: Prop 14), those who want Justin and Brian together can continue to imagine it the way they want it - look at the posts already which have described ways in which they get together. But if they had done it in-show, that would have been it, all over. You got what you want, now what? Everything is completely wrapped up neatly, there won't be any need to think about the series ever again, let alone any need for any fan fiction, and basically the characters are finished and don't live on after the finale. Not to mention that many people still wouldn't have been satisfied with the way in which they got together.

I don't see them getting together in the future. Justin would meet lots of different people in New York, he will change, and move on. He will have fond memories, and still cary a pilot light for Brian, but all Brian ever wanted was for Justin to be the "best damn homosexual he can be", and his work is basically done. Justin will be that "best damn homosexual", which is not to say a Brian clone. Through the whole marriage thing I was like "no, no, No, NO, NO. Where is the real Brian?". I might be the only person who was actually relieved when it was called off.

The series was based on realistic (even if not actually real), believable characters, and a realistic approach to the storylines (again, even if the events themselves weren't that real); sometimes things don't work out, sometimes people come into you life or go away at the wrong time, sometimes bad things happen just as things are looking up, sometimes justice doesn't prevail, sometimes the bad guy gets away with it, sometimes relationships don't work out. That's one of the things that I liked about the show. To me, it seems like people have abandoned that series-long reality, and hoping for the boring, fluffy fairytale ending.

I'd also like to point out that the series started as Justin arrived, and finished as he left. The name of the series could be sub-titled "Brian and Michael: The Justin Years".

This is all just IMHO, of course.
    Edited on 11/14/2007 4:35am

zeofan1

[26]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 25
    BJ forever! I love Brian and Justin and agree that they're not complete without eachoother. Also, whatever happened to Emmett?

rewindyourtime

[27]Jan 16, 2008
    • level: 7
    I agree with djboy76 in that the writers of the show gave the viewers what they needed to decide what happens in the future. It was the writers' way of immortalizing the show, and not simply wrapping it up in a nice box to put away forever. But to presume that "The Justin Years" are over is ludicrous to me. The show centered on relationships in general, not the friendship between Brian and Michael. It was important, I don't disagree, but it wasn't the only focal point. I mean, look at the solid friendship between Emmett and Ted (even after their romantic relationship ended), or even between Michael and his mother. It was mentioned by djboy76 that the show focused on the strength of family/friend relationships, not romantic ones. But hasn't it been said repeatedly that Justin is part of the family, irrevocably and always? Justin was made part of Brian's family; that will never change, and it is just as important. I can't even imagine Justin "moving on" to someone better than Brian. I see Justin growing as an artist and as a person, but his love begins and ends with Brian. And Justin did not change Brian to go against his character. Brian evolved because he allowed himself to experience something he never thought possible. Honestly, I don't see them getting married. But I do envision them spending their lives together as partners. As for Emmett, I see him falling in love with his Southern flame we met in the last episode. But eventually, I think Drew Boyd will once again sweep him off his feet.

WickedNugget

[28]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 8
    Wowza, I'm writing a fanfiction (yup, it's true! can you blame me?) at the moment and it is exactly like you describe how you wanted it to end The original end just makes me sad, so I tend to not think about it Our ending is much better!

tilton372

[29]Mar 28, 2008
    Well, just to start off, I really liked the ending. It was incredibly sad but it was unexpected and anything unexpected is always good in my book (as long as it's believeable, which it was). I also really loved how the series starts with Justin entering Michael and Brian's life and ends with Justin leaving. I very much believe that these are the "Justin Years" which also leads me to believe that Brian and Justin won't end up together, but that's just my opinion. I did have a few problems with the series though. I notice throughout a lot of shows that writers like to drop little hints to the ending (foreshadowing) adn this show dropped a few that didn't really match the ending the writer's gave us. For example, on the episode that Brian goes to the White Party instead of Mel and Lindsay's wedding, they show the bouquet being tossed at the wedding and Brian catching a different bouquet at the white party. It ends with a close up of Brian with the bouquet. To me, this is a clear hint that sometime in the future Brian will get married. As far as the ending goes however, it seems that Brian will never get married even if he does get back together with Justin. Another thing in the series that was never followed through is when the young hot guy goes to Babylon and becomes like the new Brian. And Brian tells Ted that you can lock the doors and board up the windows but you can't keep it from coming in. (btw, he is clearly referring to the fact that Brian is getting old and is no longer the hot guy of Babylon) You're left believing that Brian soon won't be able to be a clubber any more. So, Brian stops being a clubber for a long time, and then in the end he returns to Babylon and parties on like nothing ever happened. What about him getting older? What about him not being the hot gay guy again? This is completely ignored.

whatsupgal

[30]Mar 29, 2008
    • level: 4

Maybe the whole idea is this:

Brian and Justin aren't ready for each other now, but they will be someday.

Because:

Brian and Justin love each other, very very much. I see this happening:

Justin goes off to New York, and spends a few years(five at the most) living in New York, BUT:

every time he comes home, he goes to see not only his family but Brian. He knows where he's going to be, and even if Justin wanted to avoid Brian, there's no way he's not going to pass up a chance to visit Babylon(and especially not Liberty Diner-Deb would kill him if Justin didn't come visit while he was home) while he's home. Even if Justin decided to not visit Brian(and I'm merely playing Devil's advocate here, because I truly believe that Justin wouldn't pass up a chance to see Brian, no matter what they decided officially), it wouldn't be long before Deb would reveal that Justin was home to Brian, because she would want to see Brian happy, and I could see maybe a little moping going on after Justin leaves on Brian's part, even though he knows that it's time for Justin to explore on his own.

THEN, I see either one of two things happening:

Justin has had time to find himself and comes back to Pittsburgh, hoping to pursue his relationship with Brian again, because he's ready, or

TWO: Brian decides to let Justin go for not only the reason that he knows that Justin needs to discover himself, but also for the fact that it's going to take Brian time to sell his businesses and move to New York. It may be that Brian needs to let his business interests mature before he is able to disentangle himself from the Pittsburgh scene. I mean, Brian has very little left for himself in Pittsburgh other than his work. Michael and Ted are in serious, long-term relationships with very busy lives, and we don't know what Emmett is doing, although it wouldn't be surprising if he, too, had a boyfriend, which means that they are not going to have time to dedicate to going out all of the time like they used to, especially since Michael has a family to think of. Also, Mel and Linds are gone, and with them, Brian's son. He doesn't even have his core little familial unit to keep him company, which kind of leads me to a third(?) scenario, in which:

Justin has satisfied his artistic urges in NY and is looking to settle down somewhere a little less hectic than NY.

Brian has sold his businesses(or has someone to manage them while he maintains full ownership thereof), and has had several encounters with Justin since Justin has left for NY(whenever Justin comes home for actual/rainbow family(as in Ted, Michael, Emmett, Deb) stuff, and knows that he is ready to committ to the type of relationship they had in season two, because that is what seems to work best for them). He decides to move with Justin (being the romantic bastard he is, he is able to sweep Justin off of his feet) to Canada, where they can say a big f*** you (in typical B/J fashion) to the US Gov't and their anti-gay-friendly laws and live in common-law bliss, without having to have anything "official" official and with still being able to get tax and other benefits out of their relationship.

Katara0017

[31]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 8
    Im personally like the season finale

NJS06

[32]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 5
    I didnt like it because it was the end but i thought it was good, unexpected and sad

LadyInque

[33]Nov 20, 2008
    • level: 24

I have a little problem but anyway Justin said that "they keep seeing each-other" so maybe it bothers me the thing that they dont ed "Living" together but i like it anyway

sunnywynn

[34]Feb 19, 2009
    call me silly, but i came across this forum through typing "do brian and justin end up together?" so i created this account just to respond! i just discovered qaf less than a month ago! and i've finished the entire series - but i thought i'd wait a little while until watching the finale, the "marriage".well, someone told me not to watch it last night because they didn't end up together. wtf? that couldn't be.i had being paying an excessive amount of attention to the series, and i no where in it did it seem to me that these two could or would not be together in the end. and i believe they do. why else would brian keep the rings? c'mon. WHAT ABOUT THE RINGS?? i saw a few clips of the last ep and was pretty distraught, bc i didn't see all of it, and then i read that they kept the rings. i think the fact that they cancelled the weddibg doesn't cancel having a relationship in the future. on another note, he's going to new york!! it's not like it's australia. if we remember correctly, a trip was made to new york in one day by the "boys" in season one to "rescue" justin. if brian would go to rescue justin, he'd go back to see him. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING "rewindyourtime" user had to say.

also, brian has always been the biggest fan and believer of justin. i don't think bri wanted to see justin throw away his opportunity for success and influence in the art world. he always wanted to see him go to school and make it. and he should - he's a visionary. sooo..he makes his fame and fortune, as his hero brian has, and they're both the better for it. I think the writers wanted to see justin succeed and finish school - prob thinking it conveys a better message in some ways.
    but...they love each other, clearly...

LET'S FACE IT, BRIAN CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT JUSTIN, AND JUSTIN RETURNS THE SENTIMENT WITH UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.
    JUSTIN not going to find ANYONE who challenges and inspires him like bri, and BRIAN...well BRIAN simply WON'T FIND ANYONE ELSE, PERIOD. we all know the monumental transition he made in the 4 years. is that ever going to happen between him and SOMEONE ELSE?? NO. NO. no. with the rings, the sacrifice, the love, i don't think any other conclusion is applicable. so they don't get married at this point, they do profess their love and exchange rings, and agree that time and distance won't dull their love.

LASTLY, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT T HEY THINK OF THE COUNTRY MANOR? DOES BRI SELL IT OR NOT? B/J FOREVER

sunnywynn

[35]Feb 19, 2009
    oh how i agree " the justin years" are going to be "the rest of the years" : )))

can we start a campaign for there to be a movie or something? sex and the city did it. also, you're right, it did immortalize the show.

sunnywynn

[36]Feb 19, 2009
    they're smiling because it's not goodbye forever, he's going to achieve his goals.

sunnywynn

[37]Feb 19, 2009
    woah, no way!

SMGslayer97

[38]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 34
    It really is just a matter of relizing that they are forever, just not in the traditional sense. They'll have time apart, other people and all manner of time where they may not even be in eachother lives but they'll find theier way back. Always have, always will and they both really came to understand and accept that as individual characters and a couple. Justin, realizing that loving someon means loving them for what they are not what you think they should be and Brian realizing that love can exist. It's unselfish, not always what we expect, and sometimes in strange places and time can never take away from it. That's Brian and Justin, the rest is just window dressing.

LoveLonging

[39]Mar 26, 2009
    Hi all, I just finished watching the series and I cried more from that ending than I have from ANY other show. You see I am one of those people that doesn't really beleive in all the romantic stuff but I secretly long for it desperately. I can't stand watching romantic movies and I can barely stand romantic comedies, but this B/J affair is something different. I was glued to every episode, savouring the moment when they would finally be together. After the last episode I sat there totally stunned, watching and waiting, with an honest to God sick stomache, for Justin to show up or Brian to get on a plane to visit NY. Then came the tears, I didn't just want B/J forever ending, I needed it. After I calmed down enough to think it out I decided that of course they stay together! After all they have been through, Brian rescuing Justin in NY, the hospital stays, affairs, of course a bit of distance won't keep them apart! (money certainly isn't an issue) BUT despite what I say I need to see it. I agree, let's petition the production company to make a kind of wrap up movie....It has to be something the producers have tought about...What do you guys think?

Madelynn1984

[40]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 6
    I liked the end. I mean, they couldn't have gone through with the rushed marriage thing! Of course they end up together in the future. They're really close and Justin will visit Pittsburgh all the time. Brian might even visit him sometimes. They have been separated on and off throughout the entire show due to Justin's mom's wishes, or because of Ethan, or because of Hollywood. Justin just needs to have these periods of growth on his own. I mean, he was only 17 when the show started. Of course he should get out on his own and become a man. They always find their way back to eachother. Justin's moving to NY will be no different. Brian will try to let him go, because he thinks that's what's best for Justin. Then Justin will tell him to stop being an idiot, because what's best for him is to be with the man he loves. After, of course, a little time growing as a person and artist in NYC. Yeah, and they must get back together, because how else did all of these hot and sweaty reunion scenes get into my head?