Queer as Folk Forums

Showtime (ended 2005)

When did you discover QAF?

WickedNugget

[1]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 8

Me being from Norway and all, didn't discover the show before one and a half year after the show was cancelled.
    It was by a mere chance, with several QAF vids showing up on the youtube search, that I finally found the best show ever

When did you discover QAF?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[2]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 34
    The same way, utter chance. I have no memory of what I was searching for but I was looking for a specific movie trailer/clip on youtube and the only thing I could remember about it was that it was it was a story about a gay couple. I didn't know the name or even who was in it so I thought youtube was my best bet. After several failed attempts I stumbled upon some Brian/Justin clips, thinking it was from the movie I was looking for I watched them. I wasn't obviously but I found myself going back and watching more and more. The rest the say is history. I had the entire series on dvd less then six months later.

ntashu

[3]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 1
    Hi, pretty sad to say I discovered QAF in 2009...actually just a month ago in May. I think its the best TV series I have ever watched, and believe me, I have entire DVD collections of almost all series ever aired(the romantic ones of course). What amazes me is that the series that first aired in 2000, 9 years ago, is still more bold and provocative and thought provoking than the stuff we are usually doled out.I mean in 2000 it must have blasted people out of their minds!! I have lots more to say of course on its amazingness, but later. I do wanna end by saying that for me, this was the most romantic series I have watched......once you delve below the superficial personalities of the actors, you can realise how deep their emotions go. What i'm trying to say, it just made me realise that love is not just being faithful physically to each other, but its the emotions that count.

pumpkin09

[4]Jul 27, 2009
    • level: 4
    ntashu wrote:
    Hi, pretty sad to say I discovered QAF in 2009...actually just a month ago in May. I think its the best TV series I have ever watched, and believe me, I have entire DVD collections of almost all series ever aired(the romantic ones of course). What amazes me is that the series that first aired in 2000, 9 years ago, is still more bold and provocative and thought provoking than the stuff we are usually doled out.I mean in 2000 it must have blasted people out of their minds!! I have lots more to say of course on its amazingness, but later. I do wanna end by saying that for me, this was the most romantic series I have watched......once you delve below the superficial personalities of the actors, you can realise how deep their emotions go. What i'm trying to say, it just made me realise that love is not just being faithful physically to each other, but its the emotions that count.

I'm exactly the same way! I just discovered it about 2 weeks ago and I've been absorbing the storylines of all the characters- it's such a brutally honest and beautiful story. ^_^

faCt24

[5]Dec 10, 2009
    • level: 31
    sadly i found out about it this year
    Edited on 12/10/2009 4:11pm

BrianK3

[6]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 7

I think i discovered QaF around 4 years ago (when i was around 15-16 years old)... a friend of mine told me about this great show he was watching about gay people, so i was curious..

I downloaded the pilot sooo extremely worried about: "what if my parents/sister find this here...?" By that time, they didn't know about me being gay...at all.

So, when i finally found the moment to watch the episode... it was just what i needed in that moment. I was still accepting myself.. i didn't know any gay people.. and i felt kind of alone. It was like... "OK, there're people like me...and they do "normal" lifes."

What i mean it's that this show opened my eyes to the real world (good things and bad things), and helped me so much in that time when i needed it.

4 years later, here i am, all grown up XD, openly gay and with the show on DVD (even several seasons were presents from my parents XDDD)

soo, in conclusion, QaF was a terrrrrrrific discoverment; and i hope it will help some other people just like it helped me

WidowTwanky

[7]Dec 28, 2009

I am so happy to find that there are others who have only recently discovered QAF. I watched the UK version about a year or so after it had aired there and then went on with my life, oblivious to the existence of the US remake. This summer I was working with an American colleague who happens to be gay and we got talking about the series. He lent me series one and two of the US version and, after a brief interlude where I wondered if it was going to turn into a sort of 'gay Friends', I was hooked. I have now ordered the other series on DVD, although I have cheated a little by watching whatever I could find on Youtube in the meantime. While it's great to get bits of it on Youtube, it's also irritating when whole episodes, or parts of an episode, are missing. I've even resorted to trying to watch some episode segments in Hungarian or Italian, just so I could try and figure how parts of the story might link!

I feel that the romance/struggles of Brian, Justin and Mikey offer so much depth in terms of the relationships, that the episodes really do bear re-watching and much pondering. The additional stories, in particular, Emmett's general wonderfulness (I have fallen hook, line and sinker for Emmett), are also enough to offer real support to the main plotline. The only story I didn't enjoy was Ted's addiction. I'm afraid I had to skip through some of that self-degradation stuff as it was rather too unpleasant for me. As seems to be the case for many others, I was at first horrified by the ending and didn't want to believe it, but then I realised it also gave plenty of scope for imagination, as the door didn't really close on any of the characters. I confess to having read a lot of the resultant fan fiction and can't believe how 'into it' I currently am.

When I found this thread, for the first time in my life I joined a fan forum. I wondered if I had missed the boat, as the show has been off air for so long now probably everyone else has moved on - but perhaps it is still possible to rehash those conversations that I'm sure earlier fans had without them yawning and wondering where we have been for the past five years! I've been 'out of the country' but still would love to discuss the series with fellow fans if anyone is still out there to discuss it with!

Belated festive greetings!

Widow Twanky

MargaritaSalm

[8]Feb 2, 2012

Wow this shows old but somehow I discovered it by chance while on youtube. God i love this show I balled my eyes out at the ending (which i just finished today :'( ) I'll never forget this show and when im older (im only 16 xD) im defiantly going to own Queer as Folk and re watch it and I believe that Brian and Justin will be together forever

riley_cooperman

[9]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 6

I knew about the show for years but my partner and I started watching it about six months ago. We are watching the last three episodes this week.

All and all a good shows though almost every character suffering from drug abuse at some point was a bit of a stretch. Not real crazy about Brian as the ventral character either. A bit too unsympathetic for my tastes.

Some great messages and stories though. Glad this show came to be.

ImpalaFan

[10]Jul 22, 2012
    • level: 3

I only discovered it a month ago. I watched the first couple of episodes on YouTube and loved it so much that I ordered the entire series from Amazon. I didn't have Showtime back when it aired originally, so I didn't know what I was missing. It's wonderful!