Quincy, M.E.

Go Fight City Hall -- To the Death!

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 03, 1976 on NBC

• [From the DVD case] Quincy believes that the wrong person has been accused of the rape and murder of a civil servant, and soon discovers an epidemic of political cover-ups.

All and all, it's a very solid pilot from writer/producer Glen Larson. It begins with a shocking (for the time) murder of a pretty girl on a beach and leads into a introduction of our main character. Jack Klugman was fresh off his success in The Odd Couple so his irrascible side was well-established with the audience. Now we also get to see him as a befuddled boyfriend and a dedicated, tireless scientist. The opening credit scene hasn't dated much at all, tho to modern eyes the forensic gathering could probably be much tighter. In this scene you can also catch Donald Mantooth (brother of "Emergency"'s Randy Mantooth) as the young cop.

The scene also sets up the somewhat adversarial relationship between Dr. Quincy and Lt. Monahan, and by extension between the coroner's office and the LAPD, and between science and instinct. This, to me, dates the show more than anything else. Yes, it makes for good drama but I sometimes want to yell at the cops, "What are the taxpayers of LA County paying big bucks to run a Medical Examiner's Office for if you're not gonna listen to them?!"

The mystery itself was kinda run of the mill. Even to a casual observer there seemed to be plenty of reasonable doubt that the purse-snatcher committed the crime. After the second mysterious death of a City Hall official that should have clinched it. But they did have another hour of airtime to fill. The scientific process of clearing the boy and tracking down the true killer was the most interesting aspect of it all. The romantic subplot was negligable. Lynnette Mettey's a nice actress, but I knew her character wasn't long for the show. The amazing part is that she put up with Quince for as long as she did.

The only thing more I could ask for is less police antagonism and more Sam Fujiyama. He's gorgeous! Also, it was great to again see the scene with the six police cadets and their introduction to The World of Forensic Medicine. :D