Quincy, M.E.

NBC (ended 1983)

mrdivot

Quincy, M.E. Fan Reviews (16)

7.9
  • In that vast wasteland of television cops and doctors we find Quincy, M.E., an amalgam of Perry Mason and Plan 9 from Outer Space.

5.5
    A unique addition to the multitude of people who aren't a doctor but have played one on TV is Jack Klugmann as Quincy, M.E. Here we have the first (and hopefully only) coroner to appear in the halls of televised medicine. Quincy, who has no first name, is likely television's best example of obsessive/compulsive disorder and whose antics, if they were performed by an actual coroner would certainly result in removal from office, possibly a competency hearing as well. Aided by Sam Fujiyama (played by Robert Ito, better remembered for Battle of Midway and M*A*S*H) Quincy monomaniacally tracks bogeymen as he brings to us the infuriating tale of each cadaver.

Strong Point: Good theme music, I like the rich, Basie-esque saxophones. And the Collapsing Cops in the opening theme never fails to amuse.

Weak Point: Too obvious in its sermonizing. Also the personality of Dr. Quincy threatens his own health and should not considered an enviable example.

Quincy, M.E. makes me look forward to television's first proctologist in a starring role. Life is short, don't waste a minute of it on this program.

jHh