Quincy, M.E.

NBC (ended 1983)

mrdivot

Quincy, M.E. Fan Reviews (16)

7.9
  • Unique among your average TV cop "procedural" shows in its' balance of excellent acting and interesting scientific data.

This would have been a boring procedural were it not for the presence of the dynamic Jack Klugman, whose gifts lift anything he is in.

It's 7/28/07 and I'm watching Quincy M. E. for the first time in 20+ years and finding it as fine and interesting now as I did back then. Jack Klugman is excellent; sometimes one can wonder how Dr. Quincy maintains such a level of vehement passion all the time. You would think he would have been a burn out case after a number of years of this. But still, he is excellent. "Sam Fujiyama" (Robert Ito) was a perfect partner with Dr. Quincy - they complemented each other beautifully. The cops, especially the big old guy Lt. Monahan, I say reluctantly, were also perfect, though they annoyed the hell out of me with their self righteousness and bullheadedness. I could have yelled at them myself on more than one occasion; I used to get so wrapped up in this show. :)

Because of Quincy M.E., I developed an intense interest in forensic medicine, and pursued it at the library and other avenues as far as I could go. The show was based on hard science for the most part - you could find many of the procedures and observations in the text books. Of course the procedures are now out of date, but this still does not dampen my interest in observing the procedures.

Quincy M.E. presented serious and pressing political issues, like getting help for serious rare illnesses that the pharmacies and research schools were not doing anything about because of their rarity. They presented about access to pharmaceutical and medical access, very important issues. I do recall the show pushed Congress/Senate more than once to do something about a festering problem that had received little attention BQ (Before Quincy).

To balance the serious content, they had many delightful scenes of Quincy and the guys, or Quincy and a date, having a drink and partying and generally raising hell. It was delightful! I miss this breeziness in the latter day cop shows, were everyone is brooding and has secrets and the PC police will not show them doing this and that, but allows them to portray violence and gore and self righteous vengeance, a route Quincy M.E. did not have to take because of its' fineness. I hate these self righteous times we live in all around, and will comment no further on that.

You have to wonder how many people this show steered into forensic medicine, because the science was portrayed as vital and exciting and a key to the truth. It certainly enchanted me. It is really a great thing to be able to see reruns of Quincy, M.E. on Channel 23 in Chicago.