Quincy, M.E.

Seldom Silent, Never Heard

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 04, 1981 on NBC

• This episode literally changed my life.

In 1981, when this episode was first aired, I was 17 years old. For 10 years I'd been wondering why I had these uncontrollable little 'jumps' and 'shivers', and felt like a complete freak. Watching this episode, I realized that the disorder being discussed sounded a LOT like what I'd been going through. I wasn't able to get a formal diagnoses until I was 23, but following this episode, I at least had a bit of a clue as to what might be wrong with me, and it made a huge difference in my life.

I still remember this episode quite clearly - the performances were wonderful. It showed what living with Tourette's can be like without making the character seem "too weird". As usual, Quincy was all fired up about the issue - in this case, drugs for orphan diseases - illnesses that afflict too few people for it to be profitable for pharmacies to pursue research and development of new treatments. At any rate, this is an episode that had a real, tangible effect on me, and to this day, I'm grateful that the show was willing to pursue storylines like this, helping to teach as well as entertain.