RahXephon

G4 (ended 2005)

SaphireMoon

RahXephon Fan Reviews (8)

• Although this show is somwhat a clone to Neon Genesis: Evangelion, it's still really enjoyable.

I watched this anime a few times and it's pretty enjoyable. This show is about Ayato Kamina, a normal high-school boy who one day encounters Reika Mishima, a quiet girl who guides him to a giant egg in which inside lies the RahXephon, a robot which only Ayato can pilot. When Ayato onboard the RahXephon escapes Tokyo Jupiter and crashes, he meets Haruka Schtow in which he does not realize until near the end is his first love but 15 years older. The time difference between Tokyo Jupiter and Earth is 12 years. Ayato is only 3 years older while Haruka is 15 years older. While on Earth, Ayato works for a military organization to help fight of an alien race called the "Mu" which are blue blooded creatures that have been fighting humans on Earth for 15 years. The story in this anime is really good. It somewhat follows the premise of Neon Genesis: Evangelion, but it's more mystical and invigorating. The soundtrack is well done, I like all of it as a matter of fact.The action in this anime is awesome. The action has a Gundam-like feel and is filled with emotion. The characters in this anime are pretty good. I like all of them except for the bad guys hahaha. So anyway if you haven't seen this anime, I strongly recommend you see this anime and I guarantee you will want to watch this anime over and over again. It's just that good!
  • A special anime.

Another anime that's arguably is one of the top ten anime ever. RahXephon is compared by many to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Most say it's better just because it came out a little over a year first. I whole heartily disagree. Evangelion was a complete waste of time. Where Evangelion had a convoluted story, annoying charcters, and bad music. Where Evangelion fails RahXephon succeeds. Rahxephon follows the story of Ayato Kamina who lives in Tokyo, the last out post of the human race. At least that's what he believes until he meets Reika Mishima. She secretly has known him since they were children. She convinces Ayato to leave Tokyo with her, and they escape aboard a giant robot called the RahXephon. When they leave Tokyo every thing changes for Ayato. He learns that there are people still alive on earth outside of Tokyo, and that the people inside Tokyo are called MU and aren't human. RahXephon blends all the elements of drama, action, romance and some comedy beautifully. There's nothing to complain about. The story is crafted perfectly and coherently so you can understand what they creators of the show are trying to say. The animation style is great, and the music is classic. I loved them adding classical music to anime. Ultimately though what made this a great anime were the characters. None of them were annoying, each growing and moving forward, showing emotion and making you believe they are alive and care about them. I first watched RahXephon back in 2003. I just recently finished watching it for the fourth time. I haven't seen to many anime that are better than RahXephon. I will keep recommending it over Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's a must see.
  • RahXephon is your basic mecha anime (except the mecha sing and Egyptian terminology is used throughout), but upon closer inspection, it's a story of relationships, self-acceptance, and the strength of the human spirit.

At first glance, RahXephon is your basic mecha anime (except the mecha sing and Egyptian terminology is used throughout), but upon closer inspection, it's a story of relationships, self-acceptance, and the strength of the human spirit.

RahXephon follows the story of Ayato Kamina, a teenaged boy whose life is turned upside down when an attack by alien invaders destroys downtown Tokyo. Soon afterwards, Ayato discovers that everything he was ever taught is a farce; Tokyo is in fact closed off from the rest of the world, and under the control of a civilization dubbed the MU. In order to discover the truth of his identity and the world around him, Ayato escapes from Tokyo and agrees to pilot the RahXephon, a mysterious, angel-like robot.

While the first few episodes or so are rather slow-paced, the series picks up considerably during the second half. The events and revelations throughout the series are well timed with major plot twists revealed even during the last few scenes; clearly a lot of thought was put into the planning of the story. Not that the story is without its faults. While many find RahXephon's heavy symbolism to be enjoyable, the series is often so bogged down by its symbolic imagery and references that the story appears much more complicated than it actually is. Furthermore, the series never goes out of its way to explain its events to the viewers, so quite a bit of thinking is required in order to grasp the entire story. This is only recommended to those who have the patience to deal with the series' complexities.

As with all other quality work, RahXephon sports well-crafted and multi-layered characters. Throughout the series, the personalities of supporting characters are fleshed out without losing focus on the main characters. Characters often transcend the stereotype they're grouped in; for example, Megumi, who acts like a typical outspoken and carefree teenaged girl, shows later in the series that she is much more emotionally mature than she appears.

Likewise, character interaction is one of the best aspects of the series. The series contains clever, but focused dialogue in both sub and dub script. The script coupled with detailed facial expressions reveal a lot about the characters in just a few short scenes.

As a somewhat personal nitpick, while the characters are often sympathetic, none can be described as lovable. Despite the large cast, there were few characters whom I felt personally attached to. The story, however, is so involving that RahXephon needs not rely on its characters to carry the story.

This series also boasts some of the best-looking and most fluid animation I've seen in any anime series, and the high quality is not limited to mecha fights only; the animation looks great both during and outside of the battle scenes.

The art suits the animation well, and it especially looks great when it utilizes a sort-of watercolor effect. (This can be seen used in the Mu Fortress and Ayato's painting.)

While the character designs are not terribly complex, they are both suitable and do a good job of distinguishing each character. On the other hand, the mecha designs are really magnificent in comparison. Though the Dolems are usually not nearly as complex as the Xephons, each Dolem has its own unique design, and considering the amount of different Dolems that appear throughout the series, that achievement is quite impressive.

As is expected from Yoko Kanno, the music is also top-notch. The compositions are often subdued as stand-alone pieces, but as background music, they complement the scenes perfectly.

Per usual, the Japanese voice acting is well done, so sub fans have no reason to worry. I feel I must, however, highlight the dub track, as it's actually quite excellent. The voice acting of the dub gets better as the series progresses, so while it may seem mediocre throughout the first couple episodes, by the start of the third volume (episode 10), the quality of the dub track is about equal to that of the sub. I highly recommend that fans at least give the dub a chance, especially if they've seen the entire series subbed.

In the two years since I first watched RahXephon, I simply cannot stop recommending it to others. It features a few of the most powerfully executed dramatic scenes in any anime, and is one of the only series I can re-watch a second and third time, and still be amazed by. In the end, what really differentiates RahXephon from most other intelligent anime is its uplifting messages; that the individual does have power over his own life, and that love is the most beautiful and powerful thing a person can experience. RahXephon will not appeal to everyone, but those who can stomach its somewhat overblown symbolism, and recognize the exceptional quality of the series will experience a journey of love, regret, self-discovery, and what it is to be human.
  • Silly plagiarism, nothing more. Pretty animation and music, but if you will look little deeper, you will see nothing (usual case for all Sheep Dolly\'s children).

Just trashy Evangelion clone. I even smiled few times watching this \"masterpiece of japanese animation\". The story repeats NGE so precisely, so straightly, that it is funny. They match even is the quantity of series. All this is like, you know, taking a popular book, copying its text to MS Word, replacing all words with synonims, and trying to publish the result. Of course the result will have no sense, but who cares...
    Only one thing is really incomprehensible for me - why creators of this chose such hard one as Eva. I guess it is much easier to make money on cloning Halloween or Godzilla. :D
  • This anime rocks. The characters are great, the episodes are extreme, and the rest is better than ever!

The reason why I gave this show a 10 is because it rocks! I don\'t know why, but it does. G4 aired it less than a year a ago. The show became the coolest ever since!

The characters are great because of how our history may relate to what we go through today. There\'s a war going on and sometimes, it\'s our right and duty to protect and serve our country.

The episodes, of course, are extreme because it somehow as good as it gets now. Although I didn\'t see all the episodes, I was inspired to think of the world around us.
  • Ayato Kamina is an average Tokyo citizen, before discovering everything he thought he knew about the world was wrong. Torn between two worlds, one that uses him and one that he can't stand, he must find his place and fufill his destiny.

It. Rocks. Better than Evangelion. If you have seen Eva, see RahXephon. If you haven't seen Eva, skip it and just watch RahXephon. Its newer, the VAs are better, the animation is smoother, the chicks are hotter, and c'mon. Are mechs cooler with tennis shoes or wings on their heads? Tennis shoes, wing on their heads. Wings, duh!
  • neon genesis fan

Raxephon compared to noen genesis evangalion. I can't tell the difference, well yeah i can. Ok yes there's countless similarities, like the mu-angels,qoun-ray,(which ray is better), Ayato's mum-Shinji's dad(they're both baddies). Unlike neon genesis, Rahxephon actually sussed up the ending, no seriously it did suss up the ending.

Ayato, the main character, has a love square, yes like neon genesis's love triangle.

But It's the personalities and history, ok shinji's history with his dad rule, that change it. MINOR SPOILER:- like two of his ex-schoolmates, one being spirited away, but has constant meetings with Ayato. And the other a drop-out, well i think she was, there is one definent thing they are identical. Also it isn't as dark as neon genesis, that could be good or bad,it depends on your taste, in my case with my light hearted soul, this is one reason i like Rahxephon better.

But the main story is, Rahxephon, Meeting Rahxephon with Reika is one good moment. But one bad thing, yes to every ying there's yang, or am i saying this wrong anyhow, in Rahxephon you get stale moments which you will get bored of, the first ochetra rules though.

I advise evewryone to watch this it's amazing, and don't care if you're not into Neon genesis evangaliopn, watch it, you might get as obssessed as i am with it. And if u haven't seen neon genesis evangalion, watch it aswell, man am i advertising too much, jsut watch it.

ART:10-the art will never disapoint, never ever ever, it is one of the best art in animation history.

MUSIC:10- i love the opening and ending credits to almost every manga specialy this one.

PLOT:10- very well thought out, these people need credit i say, you hear me credit.

ORIGINALITY:9.9- You will hear me in every Rahxephon review saying this show is too damn similiar to neon genesis evanglaion, but otherwise great.

Random comment: To the artist to Rahxephon, you are the best, this show has the best art i have seen in my life, which is very short, at 14 yrs. And the story once again is just too similiar top neon gensis evangalion.

Also, another random comment, The special features of the Rahxephon Dvd's are great, trust me, (i am one sad idiot this is just to get more words onto my review)

Recomended shows

Neon genesis evangalion: Defintley inspired Rahxephon to do some great work, and it is great too.
    mark:9

Avatar: great evrything, like art, plot and music, it is my number one contender against Rahxephon.
    mark:9.5

and

Cowboy Bepop: pure genius, watch it now or i'll kill. (just jokin)
    mark:8.9

The last opinion to this show is superb, great, magnificent,

ended.

wow, i've actually got to 500 words.

• A definite see for fans of the Neon Genesis Evangelion series.

While I did state many fans of the Evangelion series will enjoy Rahxephon, be aware that they're both different in core. Yes, the main characters do pilot gigantic walking weapons that have deep backgrounds and mysteries, and both protagonists do have problems within their head, but the problems are much different, which in turn makes both series much different. Shinji had the problem of being alone, while Kamina Ayato was being neglected for being different. Also, Rahxephon is much more plot driven than Evangelion and is much deeper.

The world has been attacked by the aliens of an alternate dimension known as Mulians. In less than a day, Tokyo has been quickly occupied so fast that the inhabitants within it don't even know what has happened, believing the outside world has been destroyed and are secretly being converted into Mulians. In order to protect itself from the humans, a barrier in the form of a sphere, looking like a mini version of Jupiter has been set up, giving the Mulian fortress the name Tokyo Jupiter. Three years later, a group devoted to destroying the Mulians invade Tokyo Jupiter in order to rescue Kamina Ayato, the only known person who's able to pilot Rahxephon, a large mechanical robot who's able to trigger instrumentality. It seems as if the Mulians and humans are racing to initiate the tuning of the world into their favour so they can create the world into their liking, and Kamina Ayato is the key.

Tons of twists and turns will come by after every episode. You'll instantly get hooked after the third episode, and you'll just want to watch it until the 26th episode. The story is very deep and requires multiple viewings in order to fully understand everything. There are many comparisons between Rahxephon and Evangelion besides factoring its interface, particularly the protagonists who's problems are beyond comprehension. Though Rahxephon makes things easy for the viewer and doesn't get as depressing as Neon Genesis. Also, there are a lot of characters to keep track of. Sometimes you'll forget who certain characters are, which can easily get you confused. I recommend after watching the entire show to watch the movie afterwards, because it does a wonderful job of compressing all the valuable sections into a 2 hour movie.

Rahxephon is a beautiful show all around; from its brilliant art direction to the catchy Jazz music, this is those type of shows that come only once a year and shouldn't be missed by anyone.