Raines Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Axed before it's even begun!!!

hair-do17

[1]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 3

I don't know about you but Im getting sick of all the axing!

What's the point of starting to watch something if you don't get to see the finale?!?!?!

Now Raines has been chopped from 13 episodes to just 7 before it's even started!  If that's not a sign of a PLANNED axe I don't know what is.  I'm not even going to start watching this as it will be a blatant waste of my time.

Shame too because Jeff is a great actor.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SoylentYellow

[3]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 21
    hair-do17 wrote:

I don't know about you but Im getting sick of all the axing!

What's the point of starting to watch something if you don't get to see the finale?!?!?!

Now Raines has been chopped from 13 episodes to just 7 before it's even started!  If that's not a sign of a PLANNED axe I don't know what is.  I'm not even going to start watching this as it will be a blatant waste of my time.

Shame too because Jeff is a great actor.

When it Raines, it pours....

I like Jeff Goldblum but this star vehicle isnt likely to do all that well, the buzz on it hasnt been good at all, chopping the order down is just the beginning.  Too bad they didnt give him a series with a more original idea.  This one sounds like Ghost Whisperer meets Columbo.  Maybe he could star in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers: The Series"  That movie was one of the few remakes better than the original.  Goldblum is best in creepy movies like that and The Fly.

Of course it could still beat the odds and be successful enough for a Fall 2007 Season.

doyn

[4]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 10
    Watch the show before comparing it to Medium or Ghost Whisperer. The pilot is a very solid show and could easily make it. You can watch it at NBC.com right now.

The reduced order is common and done to fit the time left at the end of this season. Grey's Anatomy started as six episodes or something. It is just something that is done.

djariya

[5]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 19
    The order was probably cut short because NBC is being cautious since they green lighted this project so late. I mean if they shot 13 episodes and the 1st 2 episodes tanked badly and was canned, that would be a huge waste of money.

Honestly, does anyone think this show even has the slightest shot of succeeding on Thursday's?

ChaseCameron

[6]Mar 8, 2007
    After it's premiere on March 15th it's switching to Fridays at 9pm taking over Las Vegas' slot. Or atleast that's what I heard.

danigro89

[7]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 37

I have a question. If the show only has 7 episodes then why are 8 episodes listed. Where did the 8th episode come from.

EnterTheTekken

[8]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 9
    This show was doomed from the start.  This is not the first iteration of television vehicles where an actor who has fallen out of favor in Hollywood gets a leading role in another crime drama:

Smith (Ray Liotta)
    The Handler (Joe Pantoliano)
    Shark (James Woods)

Dewbak75

[9]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 18
    The reduction in episodes doesn't mean as much as you might think. Raines is basically getting a tryout to see if they get a full season next fall. The cut from 13 to 7 is probably because NBC held it fro January to March. NBC has some shows on the bubble this spring that haven't been there before(two of the three Law & Orders), so any decision about Raines probably won't come until May. They've been doing a fair bit of promotion for Raines, so I don't think they're trying to bury it.

mr_buggerlugz

[10]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 2
    Another one I'll not even bother watching then.

What is it with the networks these days? They really need to back a series if they want it to succeed, look at "over there", "e-ring", "The grid", the list continues............

xyzlug

[11]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 2
    I couldn't agree more. It's becoming my experience that once I start to like a show they cancel it.

BarryWeen3

[12]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 14
    ChaseCameron wrote:
    After it's premiere on March 15th it's switching to Fridays at 9pm taking over Las Vegas' slot. Or atleast that's what I heard.

Actually, after its premiere on March 15th (a Thursday) at 10:01 PM, it'll air once more on a Thursday, March 22 at 10:01 PM, before finally moving to its spot on Fridays at 9 PM on March 30, as you said, taking the vacant Las Vegas slot.

Also the Pilot Episode will re-air again at 10:01 PM today, March 16, according to the Futon Critic.

archangelcory16

[13]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 32
    mr_buggerlugz wrote:

What is it with the networks these days? They really need to back a series if they want it to succeed, look at "over there", "e-ring", "The grid", the list continues............

And it's people with attitudes like yours who get great shows cancelled. Self-fulfilling prophecy here, folks.

chibidusk

[14]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 8
    It's excellent. Watch it. I hope it makes it.

Dtravel

[15]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 3

archangelcory16 wrote:
    mr_buggerlugz wrote:

And it's people with attitudes like yours who get great shows cancelled. Self-fulfilling prophecy here, folks.

But the loop had to start somewhere.  And the only place this one can is with the networks cancelling shows on a hair trigger.

Let's face it.  The reality is that the major networks literally don't know what they are doing any more.  The business model they used for half a century stopped being effective about a decade ago and they haven't figured out a replacement strategy.  And all their dithering and ignoring the loss of viewers for so long has them backed in to a corner of needing instant hits, right this instant.  In their panic they're not even paying attention to their own history enough to remember that those don't happen, that they have to nuture a show and give it a chance to work out its glitches and find its audience.

They've lost the ability to select good, original shows from the offerings and to nuture them when they do accidently air them.  All they know how to do now is cancel shows and rush a cheap replacement in, hoping that that will be the Holy Grail Show that saves network television as it used to exist.

Its the corporate america version of a needlepoint my mother made, "God, please grant me patience.  RIGHT NOW!!"

melanielore

[16]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 6
    ChaseCameron wrote:

I hope so! I absoulutely LOVE JEff Goldblum! I really wanted to watch this show and also October Road premiered too. I flipped between the two of them, but stuck more to October Road. If this show was on Fridays I would definitely watch!

ChaseCameron

[17]Mar 19, 2007
    Well then you're in luck. After this Thursday 'Raines' moves to Fridays at 9pm. Hopefully the 'Identity' lead in will help the show better than 'Andy Barker PI'. But, as long as we keep above 10 million for the rest of the season we should be a definate for a renewal!

EnterTheTekken

[18]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 9
    Friday nights?  Better known as the "Friday Night Death Slot?"  There's a reason Las Vegas was moved to that very slot.  That's where shows go to die.  Maybe Raines can talk to himself.

ChaseCameron

[19]Mar 19, 2007
    EnterTheTekken wrote:
    Friday nights?  Better known as the "Friday Night Death Slot?"  There's a reason Las Vegas was moved to that very slot.  That's where shows go to die.  Maybe Raines can talk to himself.

Well, 'Las Vegas' and '1 Vs 100' have been doing well on Fridays. So maybe we have a chance of surviving. I hope we do well. 'Raines' deserves a hell of alot more than 7 episodes.

kendahlj

[20]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    I doubt this show will be around next year, although it was better than I expected. Goldblum is such a quirky actor that he made the show (and as no surprise, he was the only really memorable character. There is NO supporting cast.) Las Vegas moved to Friday nights and was picked up for several more seasons, so maybe it has a shot.

holgatej77

[21]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 6
    I agree with Dtravel.

When the previews for Arrested Development were first running I thought it looked like the stupidest show ever conceived. It proceeded to get some pretty good buzz, so I decided to tune in and found it hilarious. I was disappointed when it kept getting cut down and eventually cancelled. I vowed to catch as many new shows as I could so I could make up my mind by actually watching them and giving them a chance, but now I don’t even get to give them a chance because the networks don’t. It used to be that shows would debut in the fall, there would be mid-season replacements for the ones that just did absolutely horrible and then there would be a few new shows that would run during the summer. Now there’s mid-season replacements for mid-season replacements. It’s ridiculous.

There are several lessons for the networks to learn, here are a few: 1. You can’t put anything against American Idol and expect it to do well, so you have to lower your expectations. 2. You have to give a show a chance. 3-5 episodes is not a chance, it’s a joke. 3. Some show ideas would make better movies, think about the big picture and pass on things that don’t work in the tv format. 4. Stars don’t make (or help) tv shows, good writing, cast chemistry and direction make good tv shows. 5. Nielsen doesn’t work any more. Too many people record shows and watch them later or watch them in a different format. Get a system that is more reflective of reality. 6. Speaking of reality…reality shows are a guilty pleasure. It’s like Ben & Jerry’s as comfort food; they shouldn’t be consumed all the time.

I don’t know what the answer is in the new era of tv, but as I see it, neither do the networks…

Anyway, I recorded the pilot, which I will probably watch later tonight and record again next Thurs (I’m gambling on October Road, but I won’t go into that.)