Raines Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

cancelled

lunadust

[1]May 14, 2007
    • level: 5
    its official. upfront was today. i really liked this show though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mdstudio

[2]May 14, 2007
    • level: 5

Yeah, it's official....

http://www.tvseriesfinale.com/2007/05/2007_cancelled_shows_several_nbc_cancellations.php

HandsomeDead

[3]May 14, 2007
    • level: 6

Urgh. Worst news I could have heard from today. I had prepared myself for the cancellation of Studio 60 but I really did think Raines was going to get a second season. It's by far the most original cop show on today and the way it dealt with his hallucinations and how they effected his work was genius. 

hplover09

[4]May 14, 2007
    • level: 8
    This is sad and I must say that I am suprised. I watched this show Friday nights and really enjoyed it. NBC are idiots.  At least they renewed Medium (midseason).  This makes me mad.
    Edited on 05/14/2007 3:27pm

rooksie

[5]May 15, 2007
    • level: 10
    I also enjoyed this show and thought it was quite unique.
    This is sad news.

green_arrow92

[6]May 15, 2007
    • level: 20
    First Drive then jericho now Raines. Come On!

Chamberlain-J

[7]May 16, 2007
    • level: 2

I can't believe they are cancelling this show.  The only reason it didn't do well is its Friday night slot.

It was wonderfully different.  To intelligent for America I guess, suppose they will give us another scripted "reality" show.....

I wish they would bring this back for another season!

JasAce

[8]May 18, 2007
    • level: 7
    green_arrow92 wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth.... Sad when we invest so much time into shows that actually make you USE your brain and think, and not just space out while another American Idol tries to sing.

I've seen many people say it before, and I thought they were nuts. BUT from this day forward I will never watch another pilot or any season 1 shows, until about 10 episodes into season 2, then I'll KNOW it should stay on air for a while. Then I'll just go back to season 1 and get caught up. Just useless watching new shows anymore when they just kill anything that is not as HUGE as American Idol or Lost during its first season.

TV-Derek

[9]May 18, 2007
    • level: 1
    Damn

kyomoi

[10]May 18, 2007
    • level: 13
    TV-Derek wrote:
    Damn

Ditto

ravenslight

[11]May 20, 2007
    • level: 3

It is utterly frustrating. Just like everything in America, they have dumbed down TV to the point where audiences want nothing more than fluff. TV is geared for the same people that will not pick up a book, a magazine( news scientific, something other than fluff) , watch a movie that has subtitles etc. The trinity, Abc, CBS, NBC are dumbing down along with everything else, needs to be neatly packaged, served in an oversized american portion. Reality TV I can do with out, from cop shows to singing  I dont want it. I see enough reality day in and day out in my job.  I loved the very first year of sufvivor it was amazing, but I hated the rest of it.  I was doing ok when it was the only one on, but then they took off and now I do not watch , well that is not entirely true. I have one reality show that I watch religiously, I watch Top Chef on Bravo.. and i occasionaly watch Trading Spaces.. or Ty Pennington's show.. i also watch this old house etc

Anyway, I loved Raines and Jericho even more.. and well.. both gone. I am hoping my sci fi fave stays.. Eureka.. because i love it too

I am so frustrated with the tv shows on.. I do not need formula tv.. did not feed formula to my child , dont like formula.. in my opinion, forumla tv is about the same as baby formula, it has its purpose but it really is not the best there is.. it fills you up but not enough, not the real thing, not the best..

oh well another great show.. and in my opinion this is the best work I have seen from goldblum, whom i like.. he is great in this role.

nicole 

SweetPeaSurry

[12]May 20, 2007
    • level: 24

JasAce wrote:
    green_arrow92 wrote:
    Took the words right out of my mouth.... Sad when we invest so much time into shows that actually make you USE your brain and think, and not just space out while another American Idol tries to sing. I've seen many people say it before, and I thought they were nuts. BUT from this day forward I will never watch another pilot or any season 1 shows, until about 10 episodes into season 2, then I'll KNOW it should stay on air for a while. Then I'll just go back to season 1 and get caught up. Just useless watching new shows anymore when they just kill anything that is not as HUGE as American Idol or Lost during its first season.

Ya both took the words right outta my mouth. Sheesh ... I can't believe it.

Nidrian

[13]May 21, 2007
    • level: 9
    Damn. That sucks. Raines was seriously some high quality entertainment. Firefly, Drive, Raines. WHY ARE GOOD SHOWS CANCELLED? It just doesn't seem right - especially when it gets cancelled after just a few episodes - the show barely has time to show us what it's made of and then it's yanked right as it is starting to draw some attention. Bastards.

BabyKitten199

[14]May 27, 2007
    • level: 7

What a disappointment!  I really liked this show, NBC didn't give it enough of a chance.  This sucks.

anorthview

[16]May 29, 2007

nbc kills off another great show, for years the worst part about having your head up your @$$ has been the bad light and the inability to see greatness, but when your only able to smell $#!+ you tend to think that's what everything is.

Hey nbc let USA produce the show, they seem to know how to make a great show great!!

Edited on 05/29/2007 10:13am

anorthview

[17]May 29, 2007
    green_arrow92 wrote:

The only problem with that is Jericho could have been good but had bad writers and they marketed it as LOST w/o the Island and that wasn't going to work, Drive was just awful w/ no real viable premise, but Raines, that show was great, awesome production and a wonderful cast, much much better than medium will ever be.

jamoon2006

[18]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 36

This stinks! I got the complete run of the show on iTunes and am watching the episodes again. (Doubtful this will earn a DVD release, but these days, who knows?)

Jeff Goldblum was terrific, and the show itself had a timeless quality. It felt, at times, like a 1940s film noir. Even his narration was not cheesy. It's clear this show had a long life in it. Leave it to NBC to pull the plug. Why not send it to USA, like they're doing with Law & Order: Criminal Intent (a show, in my opinion, that does not have half the  quality of Raines.) With USA's niche of eccentric detectives (Monk, Psych, Dead Zone), Raines could have fit in perfectly. Do 13 shows a year to accomodate Jeff Goldblum's film schedule and keep this great show on the air!

WonderSlug

[19]Jun 22, 2007
    • level: 4
    jamoon2006 wrote:

This stinks! I got the complete run of the show on iTunes and am watching the episodes again. (Doubtful this will earn a DVD release, but these days, who knows?)

Jeff Goldblum was terrific, and the show itself had a timeless quality. It felt, at times, like a 1940s film noir. Even his narration was not cheesy. It's clear this show had a long life in it. Leave it to NBC to pull the plug. Why not send it to USA, like they're doing with Law & Order: Criminal Intent (a show, in my opinion, that does not have half the quality of Raines.) With USA's niche of eccentric detectives (Monk, Psych, Dead Zone), Raines could have fit in perfectly. Do 13 shows a year to accomodate Jeff Goldblum's film schedule and keep this great show on the air!

I agree. USA Network could have marketed itself as the "quirky sleuths" network by adding Raines.

Unfortunately the average US consumer and NBC Universal are more interested in reality-show garbage like "1 vs. 100", "Deal or No Deal" [Although the models look hot], "America's Got Talent", and the cheesy new "Age of Love" dating show than watching quality shows like Raines.

Monk, Psych, Dead Zone, and Raines are a possible powerful quartet of shows with original ideas.

texanboy35

[20]Jun 22, 2007
    • level: 1
    Raines hasn't made it to Australia/NZ yet - but I believe it will be shown soon. Can you guys tell me which episode featured an injured girl down on Venice Beach? I was in LA last year and saw the show being made & would like to look for this episode. Thanks for your help.