TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Raines Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

cancelled

SVU_CSI_Xfiles

[21]Jul 19, 2007
    • level: 15
    WonderSlug wrote:
    jamoon2006 wrote:

This stinks! I got the complete run of the show on iTunes and am watching the episodes again. (Doubtful this will earn a DVD release, but these days, who knows?)

Jeff Goldblum was terrific, and the show itself had a timeless quality. It felt, at times, like a 1940s film noir. Even his narration was not cheesy. It's clear this show had a long life in it. Leave it to NBC to pull the plug. Why not send it to USA, like they're doing with Law & Order: Criminal Intent (a show, in my opinion, that does not have half the quality of Raines.) With USA's niche of eccentric detectives (Monk, Psych, Dead Zone), Raines could have fit in perfectly. Do 13 shows a year to accomodate Jeff Goldblum's film schedule and keep this great show on the air!

I agree. USA Network could have marketed itself as the "quirky sleuths" network by adding Raines.

Unfortunately the average US consumer and NBC Universal are more interested in reality-show garbage like "1 vs. 100", "Deal or No Deal" [Although the models look hot], "America's Got Talent", and the cheesy new "Age of Love" dating show than watching quality shows like Raines.

Monk, Psych, Dead Zone, and Raines are a possible powerful quartet of shows with original ideas.

I totally agree. All four of those shows are original, and would have done good together on NBC. Maybe USA will run reruns of the seven Raines episodes...we can only hope. And Reality TV drives me crazy, the crap that is being put on TV is so disgusting, I'd rather watch Psych and Raines.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Historygrad2005

[22]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 10
    SVU_CSI_Xfiles wrote:
    WonderSlug wrote:
    jamoon2006 wrote:

This stinks! I got the complete run of the show on iTunes and am watching the episodes again. (Doubtful this will earn a DVD release, but these days, who knows?)

Jeff Goldblum was terrific, and the show itself had a timeless quality. It felt, at times, like a 1940s film noir. Even his narration was not cheesy. It's clear this show had a long life in it. Leave it to NBC to pull the plug. Why not send it to USA, like they're doing with Law & Order: Criminal Intent (a show, in my opinion, that does not have half the quality of Raines.) With USA's niche of eccentric detectives (Monk, Psych, Dead Zone), Raines could have fit in perfectly. Do 13 shows a year to accomodate Jeff Goldblum's film schedule and keep this great show on the air!

I agree. USA Network could have marketed itself as the "quirky sleuths" network by adding Raines.

Unfortunately the average US consumer and NBC Universal are more interested in reality-show garbage like "1 vs. 100", "Deal or No Deal" [Although the models look hot], "America's Got Talent", and the cheesy new "Age of Love" dating show than watching quality shows like Raines.

Monk, Psych, Dead Zone, and Raines are a possible powerful quartet of shows with original ideas.

I totally agree. All four of those shows are original, and would have done good together on NBC. Maybe USA will run reruns of the seven Raines episodes...we can only hope. And Reality TV drives me crazy, the crap that is being put on TV is so disgusting, I'd rather watch Psych and Raines.

I am gonna say because we are talking Jeff Goldblum here we may be looking at costcutting as he is a highly rated and touted actor who even though isn't an "A" lister anymore does produce some reknowned acting performances ie "Independence Day" which was a blockbuster hit at the theatres and it sucks that NBC had to cut good actors off their shows like L&O which lost Jessie L Martin because of his costs. I do watch some reality tv such as First 48 which is following real life homicide detectives in the first 48 hours of a homicide investigation in cities such as Detroit, Miami, Kansas City, MO, and Dallas. Most of the reality tv shows are dumb but there are some like Real World which are ok.

fflea

[23]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 4
    I'm very upset to hear it's gone. I was looking forward to a new season. Jeff Goldblum was unique & fun as usual. Now more than ever it's hard to decide to like a show because they just take them away.

Oiler1

[24]Oct 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    They should have every series comit to a minimum 1 full season of at least 20 episodes. This will give a chacne for serial shows to conclude if to be cancelled.

mischa2uk

[25]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 16

Oiler1 wrote:
    They should have every series comit to a minimum 1 full season of at least 20 episodes. This will give a chacne for serial shows to conclude if to be cancelled.

I too think it's a great pity that the big US networks don't give new series a chance to bed down with audiences. British TV has the same problem anything that doesn't attract the huge audiences generated by the "reality" shows that seem to dominate the schedules is likely to be cancelled. I like your idea about commissioning a full series (although that didn't help Studio 60) but I think 20 episodes is too long. 6 episodes used to be the norm in the UK but we are moving to 13 episodes e.g. Doctor Who and Torchwood which seems to me to be a good compromise. It is long enough to establish the series with the audience and short enough to maintain script quality. It also gives popular actors time to do other things. And let's not forget poor Vincent D'Onforio who collapsed under his workload in Law & Order: Criminal Intent.